Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000: waste more ink replacing cartridges 1 at a time?  (Read 10927 times)

dandaman56

re: Canon ImagePROGRAPH PRO-1000    When replacing ink cartridges, most printers go thru some type of priming procedure.  I know they burn a LOT of ink when inserting cartridges for the first time in a brand new printer, and much less when doing subsequent replacements.  But does anyone know whether on these subsequent replacements the machine only primes the replaced cartridge without wasting ink from the other cartridges?  If it's sensible enough to do that, then it shouldn't matter if I only replace one or two at a time. 

dhachey

Re: Canon Pro-1000: waste more ink replacing cartridges 1 at a time?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:04:46 am »

The PRO-1000 doesn't really waste much ink on replacing the cartridges after the initial install.  I just replaced most of my cartridges and the printer utility shows virtually 100%.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  BTW, the Pro-1000 is a fantastic printer.  Check with Keith Cooper over at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/keiths-photography-blog/ for more information

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 01:56:27 am »

re: Canon ImagePROGRAPH PRO-1000    When replacing ink cartridges, most printers go thru some type of priming procedure.  I know they burn a LOT of ink when inserting cartridges for the first time in a brand new printer, and much less when doing subsequent replacements.  But does anyone know whether on these subsequent replacements the machine only primes the replaced cartridge without wasting ink from the other cartridges?  If it's sensible enough to do that, then it shouldn't matter if I only replace one or two at a time.
That is the point of the separate cartridges. To replace only the one that is empty. Do replace only the cartridge which shows the red "X" sign. Not those with the yellow "!" sign. In a situation like this the printer doesn't waste any ink. It just agitates the cartridges and then it shows the replaced cartridge as 100% full.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 07:14:15 am »

PRO-1000 has retention tanks, so it doesn't waste ink while cartridge repleacement at all
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 09:45:55 am »

The PRO-1000 doesn't really waste much ink on replacing the cartridges after the initial install.  I just replaced most of my cartridges and the printer utility shows virtually 100%.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  BTW, the Pro-1000 is a fantastic printer.  Check with Keith Cooper over at http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/keiths-photography-blog/ for more information

Closer to "home", you can also check here: :-)  Pro-1000 LULA Review

Between Keith's work and mine (we tend to emphasize different aspects) you'll get a comprehensive overview of this printer's capability.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 09:55:06 am »

I know they burn a LOT of ink when inserting cartridges for the first time in a brand new printer, and much less when doing subsequent replacements. 

Actually, it doesn't "burn a lot of ink" when inserting the cartridges for the first time in a new printer. The ink being extracted from the cartridges is used to fill the (small) retention tanks, the supply lines and the feed to the print-head, all of which is front of the line for making prints. A small amount of ink would end-up in the waste tank to the extent the printer requires it for an initial preparation cycle, but most of what you see being "drained" is used for printing. 

dandaman56

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 01:26:33 pm »

Thank you.  Yes, I agree - fantastic printer.  I had an Epson 3880 & I am much happier with this Canon.  Print Studio Pro is very nice too.

dandaman56

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 01:32:46 pm »

Thanks to all.  With the price of ink, I was afraid the printer manufacturers wouldn't mind wasting some at replacement time.  Also, when initial loading was done I was aware that a lot of the ink would be in the lines/plumbing, so not really wasted.  It just wants a replacement cartridge fairly quickly.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 01:41:28 pm »

If you are concerned about ink usage and want something better than impressionistic notions you need only activate the "Accounting Manager" tool that comes with software package and you can track ink used for printing in great detail, but not ink used in maintenance.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 04:29:11 pm »

It just wants a replacement cartridge fairly quickly.
Does it show a yellow "!" exclamation sign or a red "X" sign above the ink color in the printer display? If it shows the "!" exclamation sign ignore it an keep printing. It is just a conservative warning to order a new cartridge not to replace it! Mine was keep printing for quite some time with all the inks showing the yellow "!" exclamation sign before the first red "X" sign appeared! Also follow the advice given above about using the Accounting Manager to get a better view on the printer ink consumption.

sabin

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 04:40:56 pm »

Canon Pro-1000 wastes NO ink on cartridge replacement. I spent some time and ink for finding out what are the real ink maintenance costs for this printer and posted my findings here:

http://forum.adv-bulgaria.com/forum/main-forum/фото-видео-и-оптика/4299-canon-imageprograf-pro-1000-maintenance-ink-wastage
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 05:06:10 pm by sabin »

sakharov.alexander

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »

Canon Pro-1000 waste a lot of CO in some modes.
Canon knows about this issue, last update (14 of February) resolve it only partially.
The printer still waste CO if you use heavy fine art paper and set in driver Highest Density Fine Art Paper.
At list at my printer and my colleagues printers.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 07:56:28 pm »

As far as I know it isn't even supposed to coat non-gloss/luster paper but according to the Accounting Manager there is some evidence that it does, if only small amounts. I have been trying to get clarification on this matter.

Francesco Carucci

• Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 09:28:01 pm »

Does it show a yellow "!" exclamation sign or a red "X" sign above the ink color in the printer display? If it shows the "!" exclamation sign ignore it an keep printing. It is just a conservative warning to order a new cartridge not to replace it! Mine was keep printing for quite some time with all the inks showing the yellow "!" exclamation sign before the first red "X" sign appeared! Also follow the advice given above about using the Accounting Manager to get a better view on the printer ink consumption.

Is there a way to disable the very annoying warning message and the red bar in this scenario?
Game Developer Advocate at Google
Facebook|Portfolio|Blog|Shop

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 09:37:40 pm »

None that I know of, but why would you want to? Don't you want to know when the ink is running low, and surely when it is empty? I find I need this information, and it just sits on the LCD which I only look at when I'm putting paper into the printer. What's the issue?

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 04:42:19 am »

Canon Pro-1000 waste a lot of CO in some modes.
Canon knows about this issue, last update (14 of February) resolve it only partially.
The printer still waste CO if you use heavy fine art paper and set in driver Highest Density Fine Art Paper.
At list at my printer and my colleagues printers.
I noticed that the least CO consumption when using "Highest Density Fine Art Paper" setting occurs with the largest paper size A2. So a cumbersome workaround is to print four A4s or two A3s together on a single A2 sheet.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 08:31:48 am »

I noticed that the least CO consumption when using "Highest Density Fine Art Paper" setting occurs with the largest paper size A2. So a cumbersome workaround is to print four A4s or two A3s together on a single A2 sheet.

Yes, you are correct - there appears to be an inverse relationship between CO consumption and paper size when measured on a relative basis, which is counter-intuitive and I am also trying to get clarification on this as well.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 09:04:55 am »

At least one poster suggested that the accounting manager showed the amount of CO used far exceeded the size of the cartridge... in other words, it would appear that the "wastage" was just a problem with the accounting software. I don't know if anyone else has verified that.

In my case, printing almost entirely B&W on gloss paper, the CO is being used at about the same rate as PBK, GY and LGY, which seems credible. I haven't yet reached the end of any cartridge however.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 09:11:31 am »

I too have been concerned about whether the whole CO "issue" relates to the behaviour of the printer or the behaviour of the Accounting Manager and have been awaiting clarification on that too.

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 12:42:47 am »

Please forgive me if my admittedly naive question is not sufficiently on-topic with this thread. But when does the printer inform you it's truly out of ink -- always before attempting a print, or part way through it?

I ask because I've got the the yellow exclamation points on all the tanks (and have had them for some time). After doing a series of small prints I'm about to do some much larger prints on far more expensive paper, and it would be a shame to lose some of that paper due to needing to change an ink tank half way through, and thus having the print prematurely ejected.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up