Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro-1000: waste more ink replacing cartridges 1 at a time?  (Read 10968 times)

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Re: Canon Pro-1000: waste more ink replacing cartridges 1 at a time?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 02:39:09 am »

Please forgive me if my admittedly naive question is not sufficiently on-topic with this thread. But when does the printer inform you it's truly out of ink -- always before attempting a print, or part way through it?

I ask because I've got the the yellow exclamation points on all the tanks (and have had them for some time). After doing a series of small prints I'm about to do some much larger prints on far more expensive paper, and it would be a shame to lose some of that paper due to needing to change an ink tank half way through, and thus having the print prematurely ejected.
I was at the exact same situation. I printed a lot with all the "!" marks. Then I prepared to print a 17" x 25" sheet (cut from roll). When I pushed the OK to print button on the printer and the print started I got the first "X" warning on the GY ink. I let it finish and then I changed the cartridge. Take a look at the consumption reported for each ink in the Accounting Manager. If it's around 30ml the cartridge is close to empty. I change the first two cartridges (GY,MBK) and both were around 31ml.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 08:34:46 am »

My experience using this printer indicates that you get the "empty" warning after it finishes making a print, not during.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 01:28:56 pm »

My experience using this printer indicates that you get the "empty" warning after it finishes making a print, not during.
It was the first cartridge I have ever change on the printer. I am almost 100% sure that the "X" warning came after I pushed the "OK" on the blue screen on the printer and after the printer started to print from the manual feed tray. Maybe it was a random anomaly. Anyway going back to the question of Damon Lynch the important thing is that in this case the ink was enough to finish the print. Then of course I replace it immediately.

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 02:03:57 pm »

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. That's reassuring. I don't know why that information is not included in the user manual.

Prompted by Panagiotis's reply, I took a look at the accounting manager's ink consumption report. It claims that 97 ml  of Chroma Optimizer has been consumed, which strikes me as suspicious considering I've yet to replace any of the 80 ml ink tanks.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 03:10:40 pm »

Thanks very much for sharing your experience. That's reassuring. I don't know why that information is not included in the user manual.

Prompted by Panagiotis's reply, I took a look at the accounting manager's ink consumption report. It claims that 97 ml  of Chroma Optimizer has been consumed, which strikes me as suspicious considering I've yet to replace any of the 80 ml ink tanks.
This is strange indeed. Mine CO is at 29ml which sounds normal I guess. I really don't know what's going on :)

sabin

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 03:17:37 pm »

Account manager is not reliable enough. There is very little chance, that the printer is not going to be able to finish a print before it forces you to change the ink. I would not worry about that.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 04:58:50 am »

Account manager is not reliable enough. There is very little chance, that the printer is not going to be able to finish a print before it forces you to change the ink. I would not worry about that.
Given that the printer is holding roughly half a cartridge of each ink somewhere inside, it should be more than capable of finishing any print even if the cartridge is bone dry.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up