Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 24mm TS-E II on dig. medium format - coverage, quality - thoughts?  (Read 2892 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook

I am considering using a Canon 24mm TS-E II with my Fuju GFX 50S with the right adapter, when that becomes available (Cambo option a possibility).  It ought to have the coverage, save for extreme movements, and it should have the quality, from my reading of reviews.  Any views on this, say from a tech cam user?  Thanks.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

voidshatter

It's a great lens and can cover 645 format easily. It works nicely with previous digital backs from Phase One. You could find a comparison against the Rodenstock 23HR done by Gerald (with an IQ180 I think?), which suggests that you might want to shoot at f/11 or f/16 to reduce field curvature. The only concern for the GFX seems to be the gap between the sensor cover glass and the sensor plane, which *may* cause curvature/smearing/astigmatism for extreme corners when shifted, which remains to be seen. We'd be interested to get feedback from you!

chrismuc

I tried TSE 17 and TSE 24 on GFX w/ Fotodiox adapter (f set to 11)
no problem, no corner color shift or reduced sharpness

dmward

I am considering using a Canon 24mm TS-E II with my Fuju GFX 50S with the right adapter, when that becomes available (Cambo option a possibility).  It ought to have the coverage, save for extreme movements, and it should have the quality, from my reading of reviews.  Any views on this, say from a tech cam user?  Thanks.

I have the set of Canon TSE lenses along with a Fotodiox EF to GFX adapter.
I plan to do a series of tests to see how the lenses preform at max as well as optimum apertures.
Hopefully next week.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook

Do you change the aperture by stopping down on a Canon body first? 

peterm10

Yes, you have to change the aperture by stopping down on either a Canon body or, in my case, the Sony A7RII with Metabones adapter (in which case the trick is to press the depth of field preview button to change the aperture and then turn the camera off).  I am waiting for the Cambo adapter, which allows you to change the aperture on the lens using the adapter itself so you don't need a Canon (or Sony) body...

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook

Thanks, yes, I too am awaiting the Cambo adapter for the exact same reason.  I have purchased the Fotodoix adapter as an interim measure.  I don't have a Canon body so may borrow one just to stop the 24mm TS-E down.

dmward

I did a preliminary test with my 4 TSE lenses this morning.
First, I set all of them to maximum aperture by placing them on a Metabones IV adapter on my A7RII. Then with maximum aperture set, removing the lens while the camera was still on. That locked the aperture open.

The results were acceptable, even with full shift. Naturally there was vignetting and other problems.
I expect that using the shift to enlarge the vertical field of view will be more useful.

I generally shoot the TSE lenses at F8 or 11. So, my next test is to shot the lenses at that aperture with the shift to expand the vertical field of view.

I saw a price of $1200 for the Cambo adapter. That, in my view, is too much for what is essentially a dumb adapter with an aperture adjust dial.  I'd rather go through the pain of setting apertures and wait for a smart adapter. Its likely to appear. (I HOPE)

Boykinally

The TSE 24 and 17 allow 12mm of shift on a 35mm camera with the extreme edges going a little soft stopped down to 11 with full shift. How much shift can you get on the Fuji ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up