Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making A Photo Book  (Read 7686 times)

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
Re: Making A Photo Book
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 06:36:41 pm »

Well John Paul Caponigro and I have talked about in the past about doing a workshop for people who want to make a real coffee table book but you need really make about 1000 books.  I developed a new way of making coffee table books with amazing quality.  Michael Reichmann wrote my forward for this book and even he said the quality was incredible.  Its one of the best books I have seen printed.  With all of the extreme colors that I shot to make this book with fall colors and subtle colors of spring.  This was perfect bound stitched and dust cover with linen jackets.

I've tried the other print on demand type books but they can only print mediocre colors and not the great presentation to make your image better.   

I think I will give him a call and see if we can make this happen.  Here is the picture of the book I made in this new fashion.  Tim Wolcott
If anyone is interested give me a call  9517411674

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 04:08:45 am »

For those of you wanting the ultimate in quality in your photo book, I recommend reading the fascinating article in the New Yorker about Gerhard Steidl:

"GERHARD STEIDL IS MAKING BOOKS AN ART FORM He is the printer the world’s best photographers trust most."

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/05/22/gerhard-steidl-is-making-books-an-art-form

Eric

Ah Eric, of such people are made spiritual Gods.

Realising no call would ever come, lacking the resources to finance my own forest-destroying production, I decided to forget the Steidl edition and make my own virtual version of not a book, but a challenge to Hugh Hefner instead: a magazine.

Several weeks and many headaches later, I called it a day and thought about abandoning the child in a crib on the steps of a church; fearing wrath to come, I decided, instead, to hang it onto the coat-tails of the space probe headed for the Sun. So here's a little, private viewing for you of what's inside that canister up there near the stars. You could think of it as the Icarus Flight.

http://ssanse.weebly.com/

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 05:45:20 am »

No Rob, forget the solar probe, put it into Earth orbit so that it will scatter back over us one day when we don't expect it.

As for Steidl... I found I had one of his productions on my shelf (Unedited photos of Jeanloup Sieff). The quality is in fact superb... not only for the printing, but the binding is done so that the pages lie almost perfectly flat when opened on a table... and yet there are no images spread across the gutter anyway!

Putting that alongside my latest aquisition from the second-hand book world (Lindbergh's Ten Women), there is no comparison...

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 06:05:50 am »

No Rob, forget the solar probe, put it into Earth orbit so that it will scatter back over us one day when we don't expect it.

As for Steidl... I found I had one of his productions on my shelf (Unedited photos of Jeanloup Sieff). The quality is in fact superb... not only for the printing, but the binding is done so that the pages lie almost perfectly flat when opened on a table... and yet there are no images spread across the gutter anyway!

Putting that alongside my latest aquisition from the second-hand book world (Lindbergh's Ten Women), there is no comparison...

Our common Saul Leiter Black&White double edtions are also fom the House of Steidl... great quality there, but far too little in size for viewing satisfaction. But one has to accept that Leiter seldom (if ever) printed large - even his paintings are small.

Rob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up