Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affinity Photo performance issues on PC  (Read 6287 times)

nma

Affinity Photo performance issues on PC
« on: March 23, 2017, 05:12:05 pm »

I tired the Affinity Photo demo on my Windows 7, 4 core, i5 PC. Loading a raw file took a loooong time, more than 30 seconds. Other operations seemed sluggish. I also had a couple of unexplained crashes. Some things like focus stacking worked well. A Google search shows that my experience is not that unusual. What are the work-arounds that users have found?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Affinity Photo performance issues on PC
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:56:22 pm »

I tired the Affinity Photo demo on my Windows 7, 4 core, i5 PC. Loading a raw file took a loooong time, more than 30 seconds. Other operations seemed sluggish. I also had a couple of unexplained crashes. Some things like focus stacking worked well. A Google search shows that my experience is not that unusual. What are the work-arounds that users have found?

Hi,

When you look at the Affinity forums there are a Beta version forums. Registered Affinity Photo/Designer users can participate with testing when they use their license key. There you can see that e.g. the slow loading times for Raws are being looked at by the development team.

Affinity for Windows is still young (version 1.5 is basically the first official version on Windows), so they are working on a lot of issues at the same time. Things should improve with new releases.

Fast hardware never hurts.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:37 pm »

Based on the 2 messages I read here about Affinity Photo I downloaded the trial version.

Well as a start only 10 days of trial time is by far too low. At least 30, better 60 days of trial becuase of that much possibilities you can not test it in 10 days.

OK, for a price of 899.00 mexican pesos (roughly US $ 48.00) nothing would be broken by buying it, but after years and years of using Photoshop and C1Pro y really do not see any advantage so far for a start.

Now that I have the trial version and soon the 10 days will expire, well I will not be able in the future to test it again ...

So far I have not seen anything WOW which would drive me to spend the 50 bucks.

First impression opening a RAW file was not good. Colors are not as expected. When I open a RAW file in Photoshop or C1Pro it looks as I remember having shot it. Affinity Photo did not give me that look, and I think that is the key for me.

I see my image as I remember it = good sign

I see my image different to what I remember it = bad sign ...

Everything else after opening the RAW is subjective ... in any development software ...

MHO :-)
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:52:02 am »

I think it's wrong to look at Affinity as a replacement for PS & CO.
Certainly it's RAW conversion capabilities have some way to go before they can match LR or CO.

Where Affinity is worth considering is as an image editor. It matches PS in most things and has a few good features that PS lacks (more so if you only have any older version of PS).
The key feature for many potential users is the low one off cost with no continuing subscription.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51:24 am »

I think it's wrong to look at Affinity as a replacement for PS & CO.
Certainly it's RAW conversion capabilities have some way to go before they can match LR or CO.

Where Affinity is worth considering is as an image editor. It matches PS in most things and has a few good features that PS lacks (more so if you only have any older version of PS).
The key feature for many potential users is the low one off cost with no continuing subscription.

I agree, and wanted to add that it will take a bit of an investment in time to get the most out of Affinity Photo. So the trial period is too short to get all there is to get from the application. While the concepts of layers and such may be familiar to those versed in Photoshop, their use in AP is similar but sometimes also different (IMHO often in a better way).

Also, depending on one's specific requirements, there are lots of somewhat hidden useful features that can make a lot of difference in getting the job done. A simple example is that most (all?) numerical input fields allow the use of equations. So one no longer needs to use a calculator to calculate some math driven input value, e.g. to double the surface area of an image (like going from A4 to A3 paper size), one could type:    *=sqrt(2)   in an input field for resizing. Such things can be useful when an image contains both Raster data as well as Vector data which can then be output to raster output modalities with the maximum resolution of the e.g. added text. Of course, much more complicated formulas can be used than in this trivial example.

The best way may be to first view the tutorial videos to get the idea, and only then start actually experimenting. That should give enough time to re-view the videos if you get stuck somehow, and things will start making more sense. Also remember that when things are done differently, it's not just for the sake of being different. The folks at Serif have a rather good idea of where they are going with their applications, and there will be additions. They also have a pretty good grasp of what it means to work in a publishing environment, so the workflow is designed to achieve common tasks efficiently.

Also, the way that they have implemented things like Pano stitching, HDRI creation, Focusstacking, etc, is actually pretty good, when compared to dedicated applications for such specialized tasks which set the bar to be reached.  AP comes pretty close for common use. The same can be said for Raw conversion, which has room for improvement but is already quite usable for common tasks.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 05:13:06 am »

Loading a raw file took a loooong time,
Yes, that's pants.
AP is great for editing, but I don't bother to use it for RAW conversion, too slow and too poor ATM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up