Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benq SW 320 calibration nightmare  (Read 7713 times)

FelixBelloin

• My gallery
Benq SW 320 calibration nightmare
« on: March 23, 2017, 11:57:32 am »

Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you had ever tried calibrating a Benq monitor using Palette Master Element.
I have been trying to calibrate my Benq SW 320 for the past two days with no success. I run the software (V1.2.2) on my Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2015 and I use the Spyder5 for colorimeter.

My issue is the following:

After choosing my calibration parameters (black point, brightness, colour space, number of patches etc.) I run the calibration process.
While the LUT writing works ok (even if a touch slow), as soon as the patch reading process begins, my screen turns blue (as in, properly blue, not just a slight colour cast), leading to a completely inaccurate reading from the Spyder5, which in turn, hard calibrates the screen to a splendid yellow.

Hardware is new, software is up to date, and I am following the steps as accurately as I can, but I can't seem to find a fix.

Any colour management guru to the rescue?

Thank you very much,

Felix

Pictus

• Retouching
Re: Benq SW 320 calibration nightmare
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 08:09:24 pm »

You can not trust Spyders http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103094.0
Get a X-rite i1Display Pro and be happy.

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:24:47 pm »

I have not seen this issue when calibrating my SW320 on Windows 7 with the i1Display Pro. I do also have a Spyder 5 device which I haven't tried to use yet with the Palette Master V1.2.2 software, but I will try it out and see if anything unusual happens. I have tested both the i1DP and Spyder 5 using an earlier version of Palette Master on the SW2700PT monitor, and both devices worked reasonably well for my purposes.

Unfortunately I don't think I have access to a Mac right now that would work with the SW320 so I can't directly test that combination.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 04:09:56 pm »

I have used the i1 Pro colorimeter for the SW320 with a Mac Pro - no issues.

FelixBelloin

• My gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 06:15:45 pm »

I have not seen this issue when calibrating my SW320 on Windows 7 with the i1Display Pro. I do also have a Spyder 5 device which I haven't tried to use yet with the Palette Master V1.2.2 software, but I will try it out and see if anything unusual happens. I have tested both the i1DP and Spyder 5 using an earlier version of Palette Master on the SW2700PT monitor, and both devices worked reasonably well for my purposes.

Unfortunately I don't think I have access to a Mac right now that would work with the SW320 so I can't directly test that combination.

That would be great. I have contacted Benq and they seem none the wiser. I have software calibrated the monitor in the meantime, which is the next best thing, but I would quite like to get it to work.
Thanks for your help.

Felix

FelixBelloin

• My gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 11:23:16 am »

I have used the i1 Pro colorimeter for the SW320 with a Mac Pro - no issues.

How strange, I wonder what is causing the problem then.

ChrisMax

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 01:54:02 pm »

I own the BenQ SW2700PT which uses the same PME V1.2.2 program for calibration. Here's a long shot:

When I check the software I see that the directory labeled 04i1DisplayPro.bundle has a file labeled Manifest.txt which lists the i1DisplayPro sensor as the plugin.  This directory also has all the files that control the other calibrators.  There is also a separate directory labeled 09Spyder5.bundle which also contains a Manifest.txt file listing the Spyder5 as the plugin sensor.  I'm wondering if the problem is that the software is using the i1displaypro manifest.txt file instead of the spyder5 file.  Both files though use the same .edr files which are the ones that control the colorimeter correction for ccfl,rgbled, wled, etc monitors.  Easily corrected if you are comfortable changing a bit of programming with a simple text editor.

The obvious:
Have you connected the USB cable from the monitor to your computer?  Are you using the USB port on the monitor for the calibrator?  Are you choosing a color temp of 5000k which might look a bit yellow?

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 11:42:17 am »

I ran a calibration yesterday on my SW320 using a Spyder 5. (Windows 7 system, as mentioned above.) The process appeared to run through fine. I just examined the resulting profile, comparing it to the profile I previously created using the i1 Display Pro. The Spyder 5 profile is fine. So I'd say there should be nothing inherent about the Spyder 5 device to cause such a huge issue.

If you can beg, borrow or steal another colorimeter from someone, you can at least isolate whether your specific Spyder 5 is causing problems with the Palette Master software. If both devices fail in the same way then it's a problem with Palette Master on your system, or something in your Mac OS setup.

I agree that BenQ support isn't too helpful with these high spec displays of theirs. I had contacted them with a support issue when I first got my SW320. They were unable to offer any help; I eventually figured it out myself. (Typing in a custom profile name for the output profile in Palette Master causes the software to simply not create the profile at all, anywhere, on my Windows 7 system. To get a profile generated, I have to leave the name set to the software's auto created name. Then I rename it later.)

LaurentEgli

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 01:30:21 pm »

Same problem here! With a brand new MacBook Pro. Every time I try to run palette master elements I get a worse and worse calibration. At first the software seems to write the lut table resetting it. While the calibration is under way all looks good. But in the end when the new lut table is written to the monitor all breaks loose! I've tried everything basic and advanced settings and with an I1 display pro and a I1pro 2 . Nothing works. I've put a message to bend lets hope they respond.

Frodo

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 02:27:34 pm »

I calibrated my SW2700 screen with an i1 Display Pro with no problems, connecting the colorimeter USB into the monitor.

However, before I bought the BenQ screen I had an AOC screen that I set the profile using a Spyder 4 and the Datacolor software.  This worked well for a few years.  The suddenly the screen after profiling turned magenta.  I had a very, very unsatisfactory experience with Datacolor, including being told that there was nothing wrong with the colours on my screen and communicating with no less than 4 different people who all had different solutions to problems I did not have.  I then bought the i1 Display Pro.
Pages: [1]   Go Up