Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it Affinity Photo's time?  (Read 10417 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: Is it Affinity Photo's time?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 03:26:19 pm »

I've heard good things about it but I shoot Pentax medium format and it won't read my files. I also think that is a bad policy and is not going to sell more Phase One cameras, it will just make sure that people like me never buy the software or the cameras.

I think it may be short-sighted of them. There is controversy about whether they will, or will not, support the new Fuji MF camera which seems to be all the rage. I'm at the other end of the spectrum with micro4/3.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 03:34:16 pm »

I think it may be short-sighted of them. There is controversy about whether they will, or will not, support the new Fuji MF camera which seems to be all the rage. I'm at the other end of the spectrum with micro4/3.

I'll be surprised if they do. I think I read a statement last year that they will only ever support their own MF cameras. And by that they mean actively blocking importing files from others.
So it wasn't that they singled out Pentax, it was just as they are keeping their word. I'm happy enough with Lightroom most of the time but I'm a little worried my preferred licensing scheme will go away one day.
-MattB

Ad_Astra

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 11:37:16 am »

Does anybody know what color space Affinity Photo uses internally? I know some raw convertors only use Adobe RGB, Lightroom retains proPhoto color space with no rendering intents.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 12:24:09 pm »

Does anybody know what color space Affinity Photo uses internally? I know some raw convertors only use Adobe RGB, Lightroom retains proPhoto color space with no rendering intents.

Hi,

I'm not sure that it is limited by a fixed/limited internal workingspace (except for display rendering), many operations are performed in 32-bit/channel unbounded floating point, and you can also set the document's colorspace to that. That would make it unlikely that the internal calculations are performed in a more bounded colorspace, especially because there are several Live filter layers, parametric filters with settings that can be updated in real time.

Maybe the developers can be more specific if you ask the question on their forums?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ad_Astra

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 02:30:48 pm »

Thanks Bart,

Signed up and posted a question over at Affinity Photo forums (under Dynamic Range userid, wish I had used that here).

Waiting for the moderators to approve my post.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 01:17:49 am »

It looks like Affinity does not support PSB files at this time.  Most of my pano files are in the 2+ gigabyte range so that's an issue for me, and I'm sure for some medium format shooters as well.

Is there any reason to think PSBs will soon be supported, or if there is some some reasonable conversion workflow to another Affinity-compatible large file format that preserves complex layers and smart objects?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 03:07:43 am »

I would expect 'smart objects' to be proprietary to Adobe, so I'm not sure we'll ever see other programs being able to fully support that function.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 11:05:55 am »

Is there any reason to think PSBs will soon be supported, or if there is some some reasonable conversion workflow to another Affinity-compatible large file format that preserves complex layers and smart objects?

Hi,

Since PSB is another proprietary file format (like PSD is), I think the change is slim (not zero but not likely either). But one can ask for it as a feature on their forums. If there is enough interest in it, they would add it to the list for prioritization.

Frankly, I think that BigTIFF has a better chance of getting implemented because, while formally also owned by Adobe, it has a much more open character, and most of the work has almost been done already:
http://www.simplesystems.org/libtiff/BigTIFFProposal.html

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:39:51 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 01:38:12 pm »

When I tested the Windows version during the Beta, only some of the Nik filters worked properly with Affinity.  Some, like Viveza, displayed the image in black and white.  Was this addressed in the release version?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up