Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it Affinity Photo's time?  (Read 4871 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• Mac, iOS, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Epson 3880
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: Is it Affinity Photo's time?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 03:26:19 PM »

I've heard good things about it but I shoot Pentax medium format and it won't read my files. I also think that is a bad policy and is not going to sell more Phase One cameras, it will just make sure that people like me never buy the software or the cameras.

I think it may be short-sighted of them. There is controversy about whether they will, or will not, support the new Fuji MF camera which seems to be all the rage. I'm at the other end of the spectrum with micro4/3.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »

I think it may be short-sighted of them. There is controversy about whether they will, or will not, support the new Fuji MF camera which seems to be all the rage. I'm at the other end of the spectrum with micro4/3.

I'll be surprised if they do. I think I read a statement last year that they will only ever support their own MF cameras. And by that they mean actively blocking importing files from others.
So it wasn't that they singled out Pentax, it was just as they are keeping their word. I'm happy enough with Lightroom most of the time but I'm a little worried my preferred licensing scheme will go away one day.
-MattB

Ad_Astra

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »

Does anybody know what color space Affinity Photo uses internally? I know some raw convertors only use Adobe RGB, Lightroom retains proPhoto color space with no rendering intents.

BartvanderWolf

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 12:24:09 PM »

Does anybody know what color space Affinity Photo uses internally? I know some raw convertors only use Adobe RGB, Lightroom retains proPhoto color space with no rendering intents.

Hi,

I'm not sure that it is limited by a fixed/limited internal workingspace (except for display rendering), many operations are performed in 32-bit/channel unbounded floating point, and you can also set the document's colorspace to that. That would make it unlikely that the internal calculations are performed in a more bounded colorspace, especially because there are several Live filter layers, parametric filters with settings that can be updated in real time.

Maybe the developers can be more specific if you ask the question on their forums?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ad_Astra

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 02:30:48 PM »

Thanks Bart,

Signed up and posted a question over at Affinity Photo forums (under Dynamic Range userid, wish I had used that here).

Waiting for the moderators to approve my post.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 01:17:49 AM »

It looks like Affinity does not support PSB files at this time.  Most of my pano files are in the 2+ gigabyte range so that's an issue for me, and I'm sure for some medium format shooters as well.

Is there any reason to think PSBs will soon be supported, or if there is some some reasonable conversion workflow to another Affinity-compatible large file format that preserves complex layers and smart objects?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 03:07:43 AM »

I would expect 'smart objects' to be proprietary to Adobe, so I'm not sure we'll ever see other programs being able to fully support that function.

BartvanderWolf

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »

Is there any reason to think PSBs will soon be supported, or if there is some some reasonable conversion workflow to another Affinity-compatible large file format that preserves complex layers and smart objects?

Hi,

Since PSB is another proprietary file format (like PSD is), I think the change is slim (not zero but not likely either). But one can ask for it as a feature on their forums. If there is enough interest in it, they would add it to the list for prioritization.

Frankly, I think that BigTIFF has a better chance of getting implemented because, while formally also owned by Adobe, it has a much more open character, and most of the work has almost been done already:
http://www.simplesystems.org/libtiff/BigTIFFProposal.html

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 11:39:51 AM by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »

When I tested the Windows version during the Beta, only some of the Nik filters worked properly with Affinity.  Some, like Viveza, displayed the image in black and white.  Was this addressed in the release version?

paristo

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »

I purchased a Affinity Photo little over month ago. Tested it for the trial period few times only but then watched the in-house tutorials and simply went for it.
Main features that I want are the different stacking functions (Focus, stack and HDR) and then excellent healing tools, selection tools and layer masks.
Everything else is "icing on the cake" as they are the basic tools.

I do lots of on-site editing with Google Snapseed on Android phone. Yes, I use the JPEG from camera as I get it almost perfect in-camera. And then the outputs that are going to be seen are under 30" prints so raw has no benefits in most cases.

The focus stacking is great. I have put it against the Helicon Focus stacking software and Affinity came on top every time. I didn't really test deeply the Helicon but tested the three options and little their options with same series of the photos with Affinity and results were just not so great with Helicon.

And before that I used one of other best stacking programs, but were time consuming as you needed to run two batches, one for aligning and other for a stacking. A simple 64 photo stacking took about 30min to process a final output. With Affinity Photo it is about 5min and you can see it realtime even going. The Helicon Focus was fastest clearly about 2-3 minutes but so soft...

Then the affinity has jut amazing selection tools, making very easy to mask all kind complex objects from hair to trees to everything. And really refine things easily.
Then as well the inpainting brush is best that I have seen. It is like magic wand most of the time that you can just paint a branch extending over complex background (lines) and see it just vanish with perfect or near perfect replacement. It really makes nice and fast to remove all kind nasty objects from photo like trashes etc.

The 1.6 beta is coming out soon, and should fix many things like the curves tool being way too sensitive.

But I don't demand much from Affinity Photo, so I am happy for the complex things a mentioned. The magic I can do with the camera and then layer masks. That is what I want an Lightroom doesn't provide those.

Affinity is as well building a DAM (Digital Asset Management) software to compete with the Lightroom. Hopefully it becomes more like Adobe Bridge or digiKam so you can use it standalone with anything else.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up