Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!  (Read 2211 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:58:57 am »

I know I'm probably very late to the party on this feature, but retouching is something I haven't fiddled with in a few years. I always used Katrin Eisman's books as my guide and I've learned and used MANY of her techniques to do some restoration or retouching projects. With all that said, a neighbor asked if I could repair an old photo of her parents' wedding day. I took a stab at it and started off with the usual (for me) cloning stamp to repair the many tears and scratches in the picture. I then remembered the healing brush and thought I'd give the "Content Aware" thing a try. Well, what I thought was going to take me an hour or two wound up taking all of 10 MINUTES!! I can't say enough about how easy this tool made the job. Granted, for most it probably would be a simple job but for me it was not something I thought would go easy. I'm adding a before and after pic below with the owner's permission

Before

And After

Thanks For Looking
Kevin Gallagher
Kevin In CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: Content Aware healing Brush! WOW!!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:04:34 am »

This was done with Photoshop, I assume? Or Affinity Photo?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:36:45 am »

This was done with Photoshop, I assume? Or Affinity Photo?

Given the reference to Katrin Eismann's books, I assume that Kevin uses Photoshop. Glad that Kevin discovered the tool, it's really useful, and it can be confined to a specific region by prior selection.

Affinity Photo's 'Inpainting' brush (or Edit|Inpainting), on a selection, would achieve similar results.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 12:21:09 pm »

Hi Bob, that was indeed done with Photoshop, I'm not at all sure how long that particular tool has been in there but I'm using the PS/LR combo subscription version.

Hiya Bart, I actually had the good fortune to meet Katrin some years back, she was at her booth in Photo Plus Expo, a very knowledgeable and gracious lady for sure!

Kevin Gallagher
Kevin In CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

syncrasy

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 12:27:27 pm »

Curious... in my Photoshop CS6, I don't have any tool called "Content Aware Healing Brush." I have a Spot Healing Brush Tool and a Content-Aware Move Tool. Is there a different tool in newer versions? Or are you using one of the two tools I mentioned?
-- Mark

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:38:01 pm »

Curious... in my Photoshop CS6, I don't have any tool called "Content Aware Healing Brush." I have a Spot Healing Brush Tool and a Content-Aware Move Tool. Is there a different tool in newer versions? Or are you using one of the two tools I mentioned?

Hi Mark,

On my CS6 Extended, the Spot Healing brush and Patch healing brush have a Content-Aware option on the context menu at the top.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

syncrasy

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 12:49:57 pm »

On my CS6 Extended, the Spot Healing brush and Patch healing brush have a Content-Aware option on the context menu at the top.

Aha! I forgot to look up there. And I had Content-Aware selected. Thanks, Bart.
-- Mark

barry685

• http://www.barrystudios.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »

Even though Cs6 has content aware the algorithm has improved significantly in newer versions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up