Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: London  (Read 17360 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: London
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 06:38:43 am »

That's what happens when you elect a Muslim mayor, who's first order of business is to ban bikinis, and who said that such attack are normal and to better get used to it.

It seems that he was concerned not so much with bikinis per say, but with ads promoting "unhealthy or unrealistic" body images, clad in bikinis. In other words, the ads should show more corpulent models.

jeremyrh

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 08:17:15 am »

I'll make a side bet with anyone that all cops around the Parliament building will be armed in the future.
Most of them already are.

I did a fashion photo-shoot in the Houses of Parliament recently. I wasn't sure where to go and asked directions, but had to phrase my question to the police very carefully.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 09:54:22 am »

Most of them already are.

I did a fashion photo-shoot in the Houses of Parliament recently. I wasn't sure where to go and asked directions, but had to phrase my question to the police very carefully.
that's interesting.   So you talk and feel differently when you talk to an armed cop vs. an unarmed  cop?  Can you explain that? 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 09:59:04 am »

Thursday morning: Police in the northern Belgian city of Antwerp said a man in camouflage tried to enter the main pedestrianised shopping street in a car at high speed.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/23/man-arrested-for-trying-to-drive-into-crowd-in-antwerp-6529347/#ixzz4c9oZDI6r

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 10:13:12 am »

So the parliamentarians were hiding under their desks while the Muslim terrorist was killing people right outside.  PM May who was there, had to be rushed backed under guard to the PM's residence.  I wonder if any of them changed their mind about Trump's travel ban and strong vetting concept?  Do they still call him a bigot?  They all laughed at him and said they wouldn't let him come to parliament.  Frankly, considering how secure the Brits keep the place, the Secret Service won't let him go.

Some alternative questions:

What do the millions of Muslim immigrants (in the UK or the US/Canada) think about the attack? The ones who are productive, enterprising citizens (or hopeful citizens). The ones who fled violence and intolerance and want nothing more than to leave all that behind and to give their children a better life. What did they think about 9/11?

What did the millions of Irish Catholics living and working in England (or the US or anywhere) think about the London IRA bombings?

What did most American citizens who distrust the federal government (as many "drain the swamp" Trump supporters might be) think about Timothy McVeigh killing 168 people (including 19 children) and injuring 650 others?

What did most American citizens think about the My Lai massacre in Vietnam?

What do most Christian Americans think about the recent desecrations of Jewish cemeteries, or other anti-Semitic attacks?

What do most Americans (of any religion) think about the Orlando nightclub attack?

What do most Black Americans think about the killing of white police officers in Dallas?

Most people are horrified by such events. I would hope that no one ever thinks "they had it coming", but I know it's not true. So the question is, do you want to foster those thoughts? Do you want to feed the intolerance? Should the US/UK have banned Irish Catholic immigrants because of the IRA (or Timothy McVeigh for that matter -- his parents were Irish Catholic)? Should they have banned all Balkan immigrants because of the horrific war crimes committed there?

IMO, the US could have tightened its already tight security without the executive order, without all the bloody fanfare and self-serving rhetoric, without the inference by the EO that border security and immigration officials weren't up to the job of keeping America safe, without the inference that Trump and Bannon knew better than the US intelligence community and Homeland Security about what threats exist and what needs to be done, without the attacks on the judiciary that set aside the travel ban, and without the continuing discussion about a Muslim threat/ban and whether or not the President is a bigot.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2017, 10:29:33 am »

First of all, I wish to express my condolences to the families of the victims.

Secondly, terrorism is nothing new, we can do all we can to prevent it, but it will continue to happen. As it happened in Nice and London, no one can prevent a decided person to drive a vehicle into a crowd. As it happened in Istanbul and Brussels, no one can prevent a bomb from going off at the entrance to an airport.

Thirdly, I hope events like these do not prevent people to receive, and treat well, refugees coming from war troubled zones, that wish to be a part of the community in the countries that receive them. The other day, here in Lisbon, I went to a new Syrian restaurant, that was opened by Syrian refugees. Lovely family.

It is easy to build stereotypes, lets avoid that.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2017, 11:32:12 am »

That's what happens when you elect a Muslim mayor, who's first order of business is to ban bikinis, and who said that such attack are normal and to better get used to it.
Do you think it would not have happened if Boris was still the mayor? I don't think it would have made any difference, but everybody is entitled to their opinion of course.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:55:18 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2017, 11:38:13 am »

Do you think it would not have happened if Boris was still the mayor? I don't think so, but everybody is entitled to their opinion of course.

I'm pretty sure any Brit would find that a ridiculous assertion. How does the mayor of London affect how some deranged individual living in Birmingham behave? You seem to have some very odd ideas about how much anyone in the UK cares that Sadiq is a muslim. They are far more concerned about how he will tackle housing, keeping the schools on track and transport flowing. Of course far right crackpots of which we have a tiny number excepted, and please be assured I am no way suggesting you are far right still less a crackpot.

Mike

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 11:45:35 am »

that's interesting.   So you talk and feel differently when you talk to an armed cop vs. an unarmed  cop?  Can you explain that?

Alan, most of us probably got it, but for those who didn't:
Officer, I have 'to shoot some people' in this location, could you show me where I can do it best?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

pegelli

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2017, 11:53:58 am »

Amen, Rob!

Within seconds of a terrorist or lunatic attack in the States, a new thread will pop up on this very site from abroad, where the first comment would be "OMG, when are you Americans going to come to your senses and ban all guns!?"

It seems that a moral outrage or righteous indignation is the standard knee-jerk reaction these days to inconvenient truths.
Every non-American gets a bucket-load of opposition from the pro gun supporters if he or she suggest any change in US gun laws. So why are you surprised if the reverse happens when Americans do the same and hint at changing the gun laws over here?

I think the conclusion from the thread on gun control was to agree to disagree, and that every country gets the laws that the majority of the population there supports. So I think re-hashing the theme or trying to make snark remarks after every incident is quite useless (and childish)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:13:28 pm by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

pegelli

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2017, 11:56:59 am »

I'm pretty sure any Brit would find that a ridiculous assertion. How does the mayor of London affect how some deranged individual living in Birmingham behave? You seem to have some very odd ideas about how much anyone in the UK cares that Sadiq is a muslim. They are far more concerned about how he will tackle housing, keeping the schools on track and transport flowing. Of course far right crackpots of which we have a tiny number excepted, and please be assured I am no way suggesting you are far right still less a crackpot.

Mike
Sorry Mike, I now see my original post could be explained both ways. I changed it to make it more clear and fully agree with you that the religion of the mayor of London has no influence on yesterday's incident happening or not.
pieter, aka pegelli

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2017, 12:06:28 pm »

Sorry Mike, I now see my post could be explained both ways. I changed it to make it more clear and fully agree with you that the religion of the mayor of London has no influence on yesterday's incident happening or not.

There's little point in pursuing this but do you really believe Sadiq banned bikinis or ever suggested anything like that?

I'm not that keen on posts to which I have replied being edited either as that's just plain confusing.

I'm no fan of Sadiq but I am quite certain that he wants London to thrive and grow under his watch. I'm certain he has no sub plot. I'm certain his religion is almost irrelevant although it may have won him some votes from a minority group and hopefully encouraged part muslim population in London that felt excluded to feel that UK politics has some relevance to them whereas frankly Boris for all his bonhomie would not do.

However, as you suggested agreeing to differ is our best policy as I will clearly never persuade you that you have an unusual view of the UK and London at least from my perspective.

pegelli

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2017, 12:15:17 pm »

There's little point in pursuing this but do you really believe Sadiq banned bikinis or ever suggested anything like that?

I'm not that keen on posts to which I have replied being edited either as that's just plain confusing.

I'm no fan of Sadiq but I am quite certain that he wants London to thrive and grow under his watch. I'm certain he has no sub plot. I'm certain his religion is almost irrelevant although it may have won him some votes from a minority group and hopefully encouraged part muslim population in London that felt excluded to feel that UK politics has some relevance to them whereas frankly Boris for all his bonhomie would not do.

However, as you suggested agreeing to differ is our best policy as I will clearly never persuade you that you have an unusual view of the UK and London at least from my perspective.
Mike, I think you're opposing Slobodan's original post. Read my post and think again before trying to preach to the converted ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2017, 12:22:26 pm »

I beg your pardon, I got confused. I'm doing this in between trying to earn a living :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2017, 02:35:00 pm »

Mike

I can vouch for Slobodan.  He's no more a crackpot than I am.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2017, 03:01:49 pm »

... there's little you can do...

Short of not letting the likely perps in in the first place, and monitoring those already in?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2017, 03:06:08 pm »

Do you think it would not have happened if Boris was still the mayor? I don't think it would have made any difference...

I think Londoners would be still able to enjoy bikinis ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:09:50 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2017, 03:09:25 pm »

... I'm certain his religion is almost irrelevant although it may have won him some votes from a minority group and hopefully encouraged part muslim population in London that felt excluded to feel that UK politics has some relevance to them ...

Well, that obviously worked well.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2017, 03:13:08 pm »

Short of not letting the likely perps in in the first place, and monitoring those already in?

The perpetrator was born 52 years ago in the UK.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-security-idUSKBN16U0M0

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:18:11 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jeremyrh

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2017, 05:06:45 pm »

I can vouch for Slobodan.  He's no more a crackpot than I am.

Err....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up