Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Horror of Technical Excellence  (Read 5073 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: The Horror of Technical Excellence
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 07:26:18 am »

Right, Chris.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 08:14:22 am »

Right, Chris.

The question though is this: is a personal signature look harder to achieve in photography than any other artform?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 08:45:37 am »

...- and to be honest, I miss the days when having the unusual skill to use a 4x5 camera, film, enlarger, etc set me apart from 99.9% of people. Those days are gone. I find myself doing more painting recently.

Maybe i don't understand, but what keeps you from still doing that; would make you standout from 99,9999% of the crowd...

Personally i think that being really busy and give attention and time to photowork is what makes somebody standout as a photographer.
Most people do not even look when they make a photograph, and it is mostly keeping personal memories alive. ( one of the very important things you can do with a photograph, and it works no matter how bad the photo is)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 08:46:52 am »

The question though is this: is a personal signature look harder to achieve in photography than any other artform?

Depends on what you're shooting. If you're shooting landscape I think it's next to impossible -- actually, not even next to. It's impossible. When you bring people and their artifacts into the picture (sorry) it's possible, but very, very difficult.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 09:31:37 am »

Perhaps, by virtue of the fact that the cell phone has put a camera into the hands of billions of people.

However, your question also prompts me to think about the nature of "achieving a personal signature look". IMO, those who have been/are most successful are usually following their own passion to wherever it may lead, and however it may develop. Too often, however, photographers/artists create work that is either "a copy of" or "premeditated" to look different in order to stand out. And it shows. And when art critics (the mediocre ones) laud and promote it, everyone loses.

At the same time, it's easy for critics to dismiss and scorn work as "derivative", when, in fact, it may bring a new perspective or interpretation into play.

I used to struggle with the notion that I had to "find my passion", develop a body of work, develop a signature look. Fortunately, as an amateur, my subsistence and self worth does not depend on these things  ::). My hobby spans different genres and interests, and my efforts to create a cohesive body of work often end up with one or two good pictures among a raft of mediocre ones. One day, however, another member of my local photo club told me that she could always spot my images from among a random group of pictures. "Good or bad?" I asked. "Mostly good, and almost always interesting," she said. I'll take that as a compliment.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 11:55:18 am »

Maybe i don't understand, but what keeps you from still doing that; would make you standout from 99,9999% of the crowd...

Back in "the days," shooting on 4 x 5 and making silver prints really gave my photos a special quality, and enabled me to express my vision in an unusual way. Plus, I was young and able to easily carry the camera, heavy tripod, and all the gear up and down hills for hours. Not any more.

With technical advances, the image quality advantages of a 4 x 5 and skilled wet print-making have vanished. Anyone with a high-end Nikon or Canon and a good printer can, with skill, create B&W prints to rival those of the past. The artistry is another matter

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 12:22:43 pm »

Back in "the days," shooting on 4 x 5 and making silver prints really gave my photos a special quality, and enabled me to express my vision in an unusual way. Plus, I was young and able to easily carry the camera, heavy tripod, and all the gear up and down hills for hours. Not any more.

With technical advances, the image quality advantages of a 4 x 5 and skilled wet print-making have vanished. Anyone with a high-end Nikon or Canon and a good printer can, with skill, create B&W prints to rival those of the past. The artistry is another matter

That single proviso makes all the difference.

Well before my first heart attack I bought a very heavy Gitzo because I had decided to go Pentax 67 and was still interested in shooting stock material. One day, walking along the local seashore, I suddenly became aware of how heavy that tripod had become, and that I'd better think of the distance back to the car. Two things: I should have realised I was getting to the wrong side of the years equation; I should have thought about it a step further and gone for a medical check-up. That single, latter step could have saved me a lot of future grief. Hindsight... hmmm.

Rob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up