Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to increase Canvas Size in Photoshop without introducing a colour....?  (Read 1955 times)

Dinarius

I want to increase the canvas size of an image so that I can use the Type Tool to type text underneath it.

But, I don't want to be tying on a colour. I only want the black ink of the text to print under the image, nothing else.

So, if I use Image/Canvas Size/Canvas Extension Colour, and make that White, then the entire extension will print white ink, along with my black text. Right?

So, how do I create an extension for typing on that is colourless? i.e. that will leave me with black ink text on printer paper white?

I want to be able to see the natural paper-white and texture of the paper around the text.

Thanks.

D.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro

Create a new empty layer (color: none) and place it underneath the image, as if it were a new background (you might need to unlock the original background)

Now change the canvas size and the extension will be transparent

TonyW

I want to increase the canvas size of an image so that I can use the Type Tool to type text underneath it.

But, I don't want to be tying on a colour. I only want the black ink of the text to print under the image, nothing else.

So, if I use Image/Canvas Size/Canvas Extension Colour, and make that White, then the entire extension will print white ink, along with my black text. Right?

There is no white ink, at least in any inkjet system I have come across. 

If you leave the canvas with any white area in PS or LR ink will not be applied therefore all you will see is the paper white (assuming you are sending RGB data and not doing any proofing) and therefore any text you have laid down on this white (blank) area will be fine.

As well as Francisco 's method you may want to just use the crop tool and extend canvas.  This leaves the edges transparent but even if you fill with white it wont matter

Dinarius

There is no white ink, at least in any inkjet system I have come across. 

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Just to be clear; are you saying that if I choose Image/Canvas Size and extend the canvas using White, that the printer won't put ink on the paper equivalent to 255/255/255, and that I just have the black ink of my text?

Thanks again.

D.

TonyW

Yes, RGB of 255,255,255 = paper white. 

Your inkset cannot print this therefore the result is white i.e. Your paper white.  Any other value than RGB=255 your printer will attempt to lay down ink

Dinarius

Yes, RGB of 255,255,255 = paper white. 

Your inkset cannot print this therefore the result is white i.e. Your paper white.  Any other value than RGB=255 your printer will attempt to lay down ink

Thanks.

So, I can simply extend the canvas and choose white. I don't need to go the layer route.

Useful to know.

Thanks again.

D.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro

Just a couple of comments regarding possible issues with any of the methods:

- As TonyW wrote, RGB 255,255,255 is paper white and the common photographic printers will not lay down ink. The only risk with this method is that if you subsequently apply global edits with curves, exposure, etc. then the value of that area might move from 255,255,255.

- In the case of the transparent layer, it may not get preserved in some formats as jpeg, so you should keep it in psd or tiff.

Regards

Dinarius

Just a couple of comments regarding possible issues with any of the methods:

- As TonyW wrote, RGB 255,255,255 is paper white and the common photographic printers will not lay down ink. The only risk with this method is that if you subsequently apply global edits with curves, exposure, etc. then the value of that area might move from 255,255,255.

- In the case of the transparent layer, it may not get preserved in some formats as jpeg, so you should keep it in psd or tiff.

Regards

Good point re subsequent edits.

So, a transparent layer would be the safest route.

Thanks again.

D.

Tim Lookingbill

What printer are you using that prints white ink? I may not understand what you're getting at.

White canvas means nothing will print except the black (or color) text on the white extended canvas field.
Pages: [1]   Go Up