Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: candelas for print and screen  (Read 2436 times)

texshooter

candelas for print and screen
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:43:31 am »

Why is it conventionally wise to set display brightness to 120 candelas when calibrating display color profiles? Is it because 120  brightness is in the middle between a print and a screen?   Wouldn't two separate monitors be better: one set to a low brightness for prints and the other set to a high brightness for modern screens ( which are much brighter than 120).

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: candelas for print and screen
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:53:39 am »

I've never heard of 120 cd/m2 being the "conventional wisdom".
Most people I believe set the screen brightness to match the print, and on my monitor that's 105 cd/m2.
Yes, it makes sense to load a different profile for images that will be viewed on another medium. But for the general public wouldn't that be a bit hit-and-miss? Monitors, smart phones, tablets, televisions etc.
David

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:28:14 am »

The ICC assumes monitor viewing is done on a 160 cd/m^2 monitor, which is quite a bit higher than most folks run. It is specified assuming your print viewing booth illuminates with 500 Lux and comes from the associated physics. A perfect, white surface reflects incoming, 500 Lux, light with a luminance value of 500/Pi or nearly 160 cd/m^2.  Print paper isn't perfectly white and this is why soft proofing slightly darkens the monitor display. The amount varies but is generally about the equivalent of dropping the monitor luminance to 130 to 140 cd/m^2.   The amount is encoded in the ICC printer profile as is any paper white hue/tint.

I'm not religious about it and find 500 Lux too bright, preferring about 300 Lux so I run at 100 cd/m^2.

texshooter

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 04:03:33 pm »

I am curious to know if anybody here uses two displays: one for print and one for web output.  If so, what cd/m2 do you use for each display profile?

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 05:18:03 pm »

I use 2 monitors in Lr but they're both set to 100 cd/m^2.  That's where I get a match between what I see on the monitor and what comes out of my Epson SC P800.  My viewing station is six MR-16 4K LEDs on a 4 foot strip. 

Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up