Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 Windows: Need help using Custom Sizes  (Read 2786 times)

Peter McLennan

HP Z3200 Windows: Need help using Custom Sizes
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:53:48 pm »

Brand new HP 3200Z Photo.  Connected via LAN to Windows 10 using PCL3.  Attempting (and failing) to use Custom Sizes printing from Photoshop CC.

It's only custom sizes that are not working.  Everything else seems fine. I've created, installed and profiled a custom media ("Microceramic Lustre" 44" roll media) in the HP Print Settings dialog. My custom profile for that paper also appears in PSCC's print dialog, so that part of the system is working.  It's only custom sizes that is problematic.

I seem to be able to instruct the HP component of the printer driver to use the custom paper size of 22W 42L.  The results of which look like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8akaf71lorcbvmn/Screenshot%202017-03-19%2009.46.45.png?dl=0

When I choose "Document Size/More/Custom and select my saved Custom Size, the graphic in HP Document Properties immediately changes to reflect the new size and orientation as expected.

However when I return to the PS Print dialog, these settings to not transfer to PS.  I get this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlovarevf4yv9hh/Screenshot%202017-03-19%2009.47.14.png?dl=0

And when I go back to the HP Document Properties, the Custom Size settings have all reverted to letter size.

In other words, it seems that the HP Print Settings and the Photoshop Print dialog aren't talking to each other.

The prints I have made on this same media using the HP canned sizes work fine.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Peter

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HP Z3200 Windows: Need help using Custom Sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 04:39:30 am »

Peter, please make a screenshot of your custom size saved paper preset, and one of the print settings dialog box.
Very difficult to tell what's happening. Perhaps the screenshots will give a clue.
If you can, show each step in your process with the printing boxes.

As a general rule, when something is not working right, HP advocates shutting down the printer, unplugging, waiting a few minutes, then restarting.  Same with your computer.

I've heard that Windows 10 works well for some, but not for others.

Assume first that it is pilot error, then I guess, suspect the driver.  Does the same issue happen with the PS driver?

I'd say, generally, add new printers with previous version drivers to see if you can trobleshoot the HP driver to see if it is on the HP side or the Photoshop side. 

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 06:33:48 pm »

Edited.  Deleted.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:45:04 pm by Peter McLennan »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:33:48 pm »

SOLVED. Photoshop bug, according to the HP tech who remote-accessed my system, installed a new Postscript driver and showed me how to use it.

Two days wasted. Thanks, Adobe. :(

And REAL thanks, HP. :)

chris Johnston

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 10:09:09 am »

I too recently purchased a Z3200ps September last year. Compared to my Epson 7900 its interface and software is horrible.  I too was using Windows 10, but discovered there are some serious issues between the printer software and Windows 10, as a result I bought a new Hard Drive, reinstalled Win 7 64bit pro.  I have been very frustrated by my inability to customize the printing process and layout. particularly with the printers insistence of pushing images righto the margins. I have now started using the canvas setting in PS to add a 30mm border all the way around. Are you familiar with HP Designjet Click software??

Fundamentally it is a very good printer, for me here in Namibia the fact that it is a true inkjet and not the thermal head design of Epson has been a godsend, not one single plug or need to run a cleaning cycle in the 6 months I have had it, not one. The accounting software is also great.

I've had my struggles, let me know if I can help.
C

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:21:29 pm »

I too recently purchased a Z3200ps September last year. Compared to my Epson 7900 its interface and software is horrible.

Thanks for your offer of help, Chris.  It looks like I'm going to need it. It appears that most users of this printer are Mac based, not Windows.

Agreed.  The printer driver software is awful.  After the HP chat tech finally got the driver to utilize custom sizes, I attempted an across-the-roll image of about 42 by 20.  Despite the image in the HP and PSCC print previews, the driver rotated the image and printed it lengthwise.  Goodbye $20 worth of media.

Also, the Postscript driver that the HP guy installed is 8 bit.  Still not sure yet how much difference that will make on print.

Are you familiar with HP Designjet Click software??
No.  I'll check it out.

Fundamentally it is a very good printer, for me here in Namibia the fact that it is a true inkjet and not the thermal head design of Epson has been a godsend, not one single plug or need to run a cleaning cycle in the 6 months I have had it, not one. The accounting software is also great.

Good to hear.  So far, I've had little success.

I've had my struggles, let me know if I can help.

Again, thank you.  To save boring the rest of the forum, I'll PM you.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 01:16:29 pm »

Thanks for your offer of help, Chris.  It looks like I'm going to need it. It appears that most users of this printer are Mac based, not Windows.

Agreed.  The printer driver software is awful.  After the HP chat tech finally got the driver to utilize custom sizes, I attempted an across-the-roll image of about 42 by 20.  Despite the image in the HP and PSCC print previews, the driver rotated the image and printed it lengthwise.  Goodbye $20 worth of media.

Also, the Postscript driver that the HP guy installed is 8 bit.  Still not sure yet how much difference that will make on print.
No.  I'll check it out.

Good to hear.  So far, I've had little success.

Again, thank you.  To save boring the rest of the forum, I'll PM you.

Get Qimage Ultimate to have a more versatile application to print from. Windows native too. Some users like me are on the Qimage Ultimate forum to help Z3200 users get the best from that combination.

The HP Z3200-PS measures the physical width of the paper coming from the roll. It shows that width in the driver and sometimes it is some mm less than the 36" or 44" roll should have been. If your print page width just fitted in the 16" roll width minus 2 times the 5mm print margin (PCL3 driver)  then it will turn the print page within a roll that is only 1mm less wide. With PCL3  I always use a print page that is 1116 mm instead of the 1118 mm that a 44" roll width suggests, and 913 mm instead of 914 for 36" roll.

However a 42" print page should fit on a 44" roll without issues, on a 42" roll it will not fit in normal printing mode, about 0.4" is lost in print margins. On gloss papers a borderless mode makes it possible but again a physical smaller roll size might create problems. I seldom use borderless.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:33:38 pm »

Getting to know the qwerks of this printer can be frustrating for sure.

If you are having issues with Windows 10, I recommend that you go to HP's website and download Windows 8 64 bit PCL3 driver and try installing that as a second printer.  Then you will have 2 printers to choose from, your ps printer and your pcl3 printer.

With any printer there is a steep learning curve.  I suggested the pcl3 driver before in a pm, now I am mentioning it again.

The entire gui and interface for the HP Z3200ps printer line is geared solidly for Windows users.

Continue to call HP support.  They did well for you last time.  The printer is in warranty now.  It's time to get those problems fixed and those questions answered. 

In order of priority, I suggest trying a PCL3 driver either Windows 10 or Windows 8, and see if you have the same issues.

If so, give your friendly HP support another call.

Best -

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 12:38:51 pm »

Get Qimage Ultimate to have a more versatile application to print from.

Yes, thanks, Ernst.  I've been using Qimage for years, but recently I've been trying to print directly from Photoshop to avoid the extra steps involved in Printing from Qimage.  I did load my 40X20 image into Qimage and it appeared that it was going to print as I expected.  I didn't actually print it, however.

If your print page width just fitted in the 16" roll width minus 2 times the 5mm print margin (PCL3 driver)  then it will turn the print page within a roll that is only 1mm less wide. With PCL3  I always use a print page that is 1116 mm instead of the 1118 mm that a 44" roll width suggests, and 913 mm instead of 914 for 36" roll.
The HP tech pointed out a "rotate print 90 degrees" button that seems to have solved that problem for me.

On gloss papers a borderless mode makes it possible but again a physical smaller roll size might create problems. I seldom use borderless.
A borderless print on Microceramic Luster (a pearl-surface media from inkjetart.com) printed fine and looked great.

Thanks, Ernst.  I appreciate your advice.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 12:46:15 pm »

Getting to know the qwerks of this printer can be frustrating for sure.

No kidding!  Lovely prints, though. I guess there's a learning curve with all new tools.

If you are having issues with Windows 10, I recommend that you go to HP's website and download Windows 8 64 bit PCL3 driver and try installing that as a second printer.  Then you will have 2 printers to choose from, your ps printer and your pcl3 printer.

Okay.  Thanks. I'll try that.  Not sure how you do that in Windows yet, but I'll find out, I guess. :)

Continue to call HP support.  They did well for you last time.
They certainly did.  In fact, the HP tech telephoned me the next day to see if I was okay.

In order of priority, I suggest trying a PCL3 driver either Windows 10 or Windows 8, and see if you have the same issues.

Thanks, Mark.

One thing that Chris pointed out that I'd never even noticed about these printers in a whole week of ownership:  No maintenance tank!
Like many other Epson users, I've pumped a good deal of ink overboard.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 03:07:32 pm »

Yes, thanks, Ernst.  I've been using Qimage for years, but recently I've been trying to print directly from Photoshop to avoid the extra steps involved in Printing from Qimage.  I did load my 40X20 image into Qimage and it appeared that it was going to print as I expected.  I didn't actually print it, however.

The HP tech pointed out a "rotate print 90 degrees" button that seems to have solved that problem for me.
A borderless print on Microceramic Luster (a pearl-surface media from inkjetart.com) printed fine and looked great.

Thanks, Ernst.  I appreciate your advice.

Peter,

The 90 degrees button or landscape setting will both do the job or neutralize one another. It solved your issue this time. The smaller roll than expected will make both settings ineffective, you may encounter that situation one day, like we all did.

Enjoy that printer, the hardware is way better than the driver.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 10:23:21 am »

No kidding!  Lovely prints, though. I guess there's a learning curve with all new tools.

Okay.  Thanks. I'll try that.  Not sure how you do that in Windows yet, but I'll find out, I guess. :)
They certainly did.  In fact, the HP tech telephoned me the next day to see if I was okay.

Thanks, Mark.

One thing that Chris pointed out that I'd never even noticed about these printers in a whole week of ownership:  No maintenance tank!
Like many other Epson users, I've pumped a good deal of ink overboard.

So Peter, I would think you could just go to HP and dowload the PCL3 driver. Go to settings>devices>add printer and add your same Z3200ps printer, but make sure to specify the PCL3 driver.  When you go into photoshop to print there should be 2 printers to choose from.  If there aren't, go into HP utility, and click the plus sign to add a printer and choose the cooresponding printer with PCL3 driver.  Then you can just use either one.  It may seem somewhat confusing but you can get used to it.  I have three Z series printers two of which have two drivers.  It can get confusing, but quickly you learn to choose the one you want to use.

Yep, no maintenance tank.  Hot dang.

You might just try deleting the printer, then add it back in using the PCL3 driver.  Easy to do.  I find the PCL3 driver is better for the work I do.  Mark McCormick mentioned it one day a while back, and I had completely forgotton about it, and added "new" printers with the PCL3 drivers and I've been a happy camper ever since.  I may be old school about this:  I always print in portrait mode and rotate my image if required, rather than using the rotate button.  It's a habit I developed long ago, and have just kept it.
Absolutely always works, never any question about it.

I think you are getting there.  Many discoveries to make, and once you get in the groove completely, this printer can make prints that will really sing.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 11:46:51 am »

Okay, Mark. I'll attempt to install a second, PCL3 version. Thanks for the encouragement and assistance, Mark and Ernst.
FWIW, I pulled a print yesterday that made me exclaim aloud "WOW!".  So that's a good thing. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up