Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR5, Mac - Only Printing Parts of Images to Epson  (Read 2248 times)

BradSmith

LR5, Mac - Only Printing Parts of Images to Epson
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:12:02 pm »

I've printed from LR to an Epson 3800 and now a P800 for 8 years.  I'm working on an image and have done several trial prints as normal...LR5 thru Mac OS 10.10.5 to Epson P800.  Today on my first print of this same image, the Epson printed the bottom ⅔ of the image.  Checked all settings again and did a reprint...this time it printed the bottom ⅓ of the image.  I rechecked all settings and they were OK.  I then printed it from Photoshop CS5....it printed normally.  So it seems like this might?? be a LR issue.    This has happened 2 or 3 times in the past with LR 5, including with my 3800.  I've downloaded new Eps Series drivers for the P800.  I only hit the final print command from the Driver print button, not from the LR button (per, I think, Wayne Fox's procedure to deal with this same problem).  Still, it recurs.  Anyone else having/solved this problem?
thanks
Brad

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: LR5, Mac - Only Printing Parts of Images to Epson
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:44:02 pm »

Maybe a screen shot of all of your dialog boxes?  The most common cause for oddities like you  mention is a custom paper size that has the width and dimension of the paper transposed, for example someone trying to print a landscape size image puts the width of the landscape in width entry of the custom paper size, when what is expected is the width of the paper.

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:11:45 am »

OK Wayne, here they are in two posts.  Note that I give the final print instruction through the Driver Print button, not the LR Print button.
Brad

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:13:09 am »

Wayne,
the remaining screen shots
Brad

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 03:22:52 am »

Brad, I experienced a similar frustrating phenomenon.  Printing from LR 6 and later LR CC to my Epson 3880: at times only part of the paper was printed.  I was sure all settings were correct since I’ve printed with the same presets many times.

After wasting countless sheets of paper, I found that the problems occurred only when I clicked the “print” button (formerly “Print One”).  Not every time I used that button, but whenever the print went wrong, I had clicked that left-hand button.

Whenever I used the right-hand button “printer”, no problems occurred.  Since I ignore the “print” button and only use “printer”, I haven’t had any such problems anymore.

Sound odd, but it works for me.  I’ve employed that procedure now for over a year and haven’t again encountered the only-print-part-of-the-image mood of LR.  Maybe that solve your problem as well.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:54:11 am »

Like Mike, I only from in Lr CC Print Module from the "Printer" button then "Print" in Lr after making sure all settings are correct.

The only other thing to consider might be a bad wifi connection if you're printing from wifi.
Regards,
Ron

BradSmith

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:57:04 pm »

Mike and Rdonson,
I think your two recommendations differ from one another.  Anyway, here is what I do in LR5:
1.  In the LR Print Module......In Page Setup at lower left corner, choose printer, paper size and orientation.
2.  In the right hand LR panel, set Layout (margins and cell size) and Print Job parameters, including Media type, Profile, resolution, etc.
3.  In lower right hand corner, click Printer, NOT Print. The driver window opens.
4.  In the driver window, select my printer and setting is Default settings, not a preset.  Then click on Printer Settings and make appropriate choices (Pg Setup, media type, output res).  Same with Advanced Media Controls (thickness and gap).  That's it.  You're done.
5.  In the same driver window, select Print at the bottom right. 

I went to this printing workflow a year ago after I started having the partial print problems on my 3800.  It worked OK for a few months then it happened again on my new P800.  Then I replaced the P800 under warranty because of paper jamming/ripping problems.  Went on my merry way with the replacement printer.  And now the partial printing rears its ugly head again. And I print through an ethernet cable, not WiFi.

mbaginy

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:14:55 pm »

Brad, I follow your workflow as well.  Only that I under step 4, I no longer make any adjustments - I've taken care of all these previously.  I then click the print command.

I've saved various presets for various papers and print sizes.  Again, I don't touch any settings anymore in your step 4.

I find the print module in LR very poor.  Fine when it works but setting the layout, the margins I set and those in the output are never identical.  Same with cell size.  I adjust the width and the height value doesn't change.  Screwy!  Has cost me many sheets or expensive paper already!  I now either print using my presets only or switch to PS for printing when I have new sites.

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 04:58:18 pm »

Brad, BTW I'm running the most recent version of Lr CC on Mac OS Sierra (10.12.3). 
Regards,
Ron

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26:26 pm »

From what I can see, all the settings in the dialog look fine.  One thing I do to make things easier is always enter 0 for the border size in the custom paper setup when I'm planning on leaving a white border around the print.  Based on what I see in your screen shots something to try.

Edit your custom paper size to have 0 for all the borders.
Enter your final border size in the Lr layout.
Drag the two cell size sliders down and then back to fill in the area between the borders.

One possible issue that I'm uncertain about is the minimum border sizes on the p800. While the printer is capable of printing borderless, if you don't set it up for a borderless image it may be wanting more than the .5 inch bottom border you have indicated (epsons typically want a .56 inch bottom border when not printing borderless).  as a test you might try forcing .75 inch borders to force a slightly smaller cell size and see if that makes a difference.

You might also try using the built in 17x22" paper option rather than a custom paper setup.  One of the choices there might be "sheet, borders - Maximum".  This setting allows the printer to have a smaller bottom border.  I haven't had a p800 for a while but I think it had a setting like this. 

BradSmith

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 12:36:51 pm »

Wayne,
I'm away from home for a few days but will try it out when I return.
Brad

elolaugesen

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 02:24:08 pm »

Occasionally my 3880 will move part way down the paper and thus only print part of the  image.  I use Mac. Same thing maverick or sierra , same epson print driver.  This appears to me to have started with PS 2015.5 does not make sense except the page We fill in all print information is PS related layout....ie.  layout of print on page, printer details and profiles location etc.....

No proof yet....
Pages: [1]   Go Up