Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC (2015) still?  (Read 3618 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Lightroom CC (2015) still?
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:41:33 am »

How does Adobe version Lightroom CC? It seems odd that it would still be "stuck" at Lightroom CC 2015, especially now that it is 2017. I was under the impression that Adobe CC applications were updated in important ways more regularly. Photoshop CC (2017) seems right.

What am I missing?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

rdonson

Re: Lightroom CC (2015) still?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 11:56:59 am »

Lr CC is currently release 2015.9.   I'm guessing from the release number there have been 9 updates since the initial 2015.0 release.  I don't think the perpetual licensed Lr has been updated as many times or currently includes everything that Lr CC does.
Regards,
Ron

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:54 pm »

Lr CC is currently release 2015.9.   I'm guessing from the release number there have been 9 updates since the initial 2015.0 release.  I don't think the perpetual licensed Lr has been updated as many times or currently includes everything that Lr CC does.

All true.

But why would Adobe still be labeling it (2015) if I'm paying for frequent updates and it's 2017?
Bob Rockefeller

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 12:45:22 pm »

But why would Adobe still be labeling it (2015) if I'm paying for frequent updates and it's 2017?

I'm guessing is that it's because LR is still available under a perpetual license.  When the perpetual is 're-offered' as a new product, all the new features since 2015.0 will be incorporated.  At that time, they'll likely change the year number.  So it might be LR 7/2017.

Although, to clear things up..  There have been exactly the same number of upgrades between the perpetual and subscription - slightly over 9 (there were some 6/2015.x.x versions).  After all, they are the exact same program.  It's only the license that determines which features are available to adjust - the perpetual 6.x will still show adjustments made by the new tools in CC2015.x.  ...  IOW - CC gets the new features, while the perpetual only gets bug fixes and new camera & lens support.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »

The CC 2015.9 is the same application as the perpetual licensed version LR 6.9 however new features released since CC 2015.1 are not activated in LR 6.9.
The perpetual license just gets new camera support, new lens profiles and bug fixes.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 01:02:29 pm »

My broader point was poorly stated.

The fact that Lightroom CC is still (2015) while Photoshop CC is (2017) suggests not that there have been few updates, but that the updates have been "minor" in that they only justified 0.x version numbers. I would have hoped that in the past year we would have had an upgrade worthy of (2016). Significant development appears to have slowed.

I can only hope that the competition from ON1 and Phase One will spur Adobe into making Lightroom better in important ways. Capture One Pro needs only to improve its DAM features (although they are close) and sharing conveniences. Photo RAW has enough on their roadmap to match and surpass Lightroom, assuming they can do what is planned and do it well.
Bob Rockefeller

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 03:29:53 pm »

Bob, do you have any features or improvements to Lr that you're looking/hoping for???
Regards,
Ron

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 03:42:20 pm »

Bob, do you have any features or improvements to Lr that you're looking/hoping for???

Sure!

The ability to work on more than just the eight colors available
The ability to more finely select the exact color(s) to work with
Masking with color selections
Simple compositing (such as replacing a sky with layers)
A tone curve that works only on luminance (not color shifting)
The same sharpening control with adjustment brushes as we have globally
Speed

I know you're not suggesting Lightroom CC (2015) has all the features. That Adobe is done innovating and adding things we haven't realized were possible. I want to see Adobe continue to push ahead and introduce new stuff rather than decide the they've reached the end.
Bob Rockefeller

ButchM

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 04:37:00 pm »

My broader point was poorly stated.

The fact that Lightroom CC is still (2015) while Photoshop CC is (2017) suggests not that there have been few updates ...

Some may consider that the new 'features' added to Lr CC 2015 since the v.0 release may have not been all that earth shattering ... but neither were the new features added to Photoshop over the same period. As mentioned earlier, Photoshop is no longer offered in a perpetual license version so version numbers are handled differently as are the other Adobe apps that are offered in CC subscriptions ... Lightroom is the odd app out as it is the only one that is currently offered in both licensing options.

If and when there is a new version of perpetual licensing for Lr ... or perpetual licensing is dropped altogether ... I'm rather sure that Lr CC will have a more current version moniker to reflect it's status.
Pages: [1]   Go Up