Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Cathedral Cemetery  (Read 1002 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
New Cathedral Cemetery
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:24 am »

New Cathedral Cemetery, located on the western edge of Baltimore City, was founded in 1871, and combines three old cemeteries: St. Peter’s Kirkyard, opened in 1770, the Cathedral Cemetery (1816), and St. Patrick's cemetery (1936). The headstones and markers from all three old cemeteries were moved from their original locations within the city proper and installed at New Cathedral Cemetery over the course of nearly three centuries. Many of these headstones are from the 1800s, and made of marble that is now severely weathered. Although abused by the environment, there is much beauty to be found in the old headstones and statues, and the magnificent view of Baltimore City one witnesses from the Cemetery's grounds.

Thank you for viewing, and please feel free to leave your thoughts.

Best wishes,

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

sdwilsonsct

Re: New Cathedral Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 11:18:47 am »

... The headstones and markers from all three old cemeteries were moved from their original locations within the city proper and installed at New Cathedral Cemetery over the course of nearly three centuries...

They moved the stones but not the graves?
Nice images, Bob. Lots more to explore. Moody skies might add interest.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »

They moved the stones but not the graves?
Nice images, Bob. Lots more to explore. Moody skies might add interest.

Thanks Scott. I would imagine they moved both; however, two things make me question that assumption. First, from the little I have read about the cemetery's history, it sounds like they only moved the markers. Second, many of the grave markers are very closely spaced to one another, which makes me wonder whether the remains could have been buried in the traditional horizontal position, if at all. But the bottom line is I don't know. Next time I go, I'll see if I can find someone to ask that question.

Yes about clouds, and indeed I hesitated to post because of the lack thereof. There will be many other opportunities for me to get back there, as the cemetery is just a couple of miles from my home. I'd dearly love to photograph a sunrise there, but the grounds don't open until 8:30am and the cemetery is surrounded by a high wrought iron fence making sunrise photography there challenging (and illegal, I guess).
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

donbga

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 05:23:18 pm »

I was going to ask if you could shoot there at night with a full moon. I love the trees too, nice Gothic funerary!

I also like the split toned effect. You are lucky to live so close. Perhaps you can arrange some sanctioned shoots at night with the powers that be.

Good luck and thanks for sharing,

Don Bryant

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:28:55 pm »

I was going to ask if you could shoot there at night with a full moon... Perhaps you can arrange some sanctioned shoots at night with the powers that be.

Thank you Don. I would surely like to photograph in that cemetery at night, particularly when the moon is rising, as the vista faces east with Baltimore city in the background. As I mentioned earlier, the cemetery opens at 8:30 and closes at 4 or 4:30pm, and is surrounded by a formidable fence . Several months ago, I did ask  permission to photograph after hours. I didn't get a very warm reception, and was bluntly told no, but that may have been due to what appeared to me to be a busy time in the business office. I'll try again soon.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up