Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choose 1 System to Accommodate my Photo needs  (Read 6385 times)

RichDesmond

Re: Choose 1 System to Accommodate my Photo needs
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 11:18:26 pm »

I agree. Except the wide prime the m43 is pretty well covered. What I don't get is why some think it's clearly superior to the Fuji when Fuji covers most of range equally. Less lenses, yes, but good quality ones. What Fuji is missing still is long telephoto primes.

There's more to it than just focal length coverage. m4/3 has a lot of somewhat overlapping options, which makes getting exactly what suits you easier. For example, in f2.8 zooms, Panasonic offers a 12-35 and 35-100. Olympus has (a somewhat bigger/heavier) 12-40 and 40-150 combo. Lots of other examples. Of course, if Fuji has what a person wants/needs it's a moot point.

scooby70

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 08:23:40 am »

A big plus for MFT for me is that the lenses are good and some are cheap. Primes from the 14mm f2.5 to 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8's are very reasonable new and very cheap used and there are cheap to reasonably priced zooms starting at 12 or 14mm which are good from wide open. For example I sold my 14mm f2.5 when I got the cheap 14-42mm Mega OIS as the tiny prime sized zoom is good at 14mm and the move from f2.5 with the prime to f3.5 with the zoom is no great loss to me.

stever

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 07:31:10 pm »

the Panasonic 12-35 & 35-100 f2.8 have enough resolution for 16x20 prints and are fast enough to make the m43 cameras useful in low light.  i've tried and own a couple of the inexpensive zooms and find them too slow to be generally useful and don't have satisfactory resolution for medium to large prints outside the central area.

m43 with good lenses gives very good IQ from a remarkably light and compact kit.  But when size and weight aren't so important i'd rather shoot 2:3 format with a larger sensor

scooby70

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 09:50:42 pm »

i've tried and own a couple of the inexpensive zooms and find them too slow to be generally useful and don't have satisfactory resolution for medium to large prints outside the central area.

f3.5-5.6 isn't for low light hand held shooting but is ok for good light shooting and DoF in the full frame equivalent of f8-12 sort of range and that kind of shooting.

As to resolution, I suppose it depends which cheap zooms you've used. I've used the old 14-42mm with my G1 and the newer 14-42mm Mega OIS with my GX7 and the results are ok and in fact good even and I'd say better than the results I got from the standard range variable aperture Nikon and Canon zooms I had in my SLR and DSLR days. A caveat is that you have to take the shot with close viewing into the corners in mind. But yes, the more expensive zooms are better.

RichDesmond

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 10:27:40 pm »

the Panasonic 12-35 & 35-100 f2.8 have enough resolution for 16x20 prints and are fast enough to make the m43 cameras useful in low light.  i've tried and own a couple of the inexpensive zooms and find them too slow to be generally useful and don't have satisfactory resolution for medium to large prints outside the central area...

That's not really my experience, but there is quite a bit of difference among the kit zooms. Of the  slow zooms I've had, the P14-42 was a little disappointing, but the 12-32, 35-100 and (especially) the 12-60 have been very good. And much depends on how exacting your printing standards are.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up