Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One XF New Feature Ideas for firmware upgrades  (Read 2785 times)

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
Phase One XF New Feature Ideas for firmware upgrades
« on: March 16, 2017, 09:22:08 pm »

Phase One XF New Feature Ideas

I am curious what features you have  requested or are interested in seeing in future releases of the XF firmware.

I have a couple of suggestIons and admit I have no idea how hard or feasible these would be.

I would like to see Time-lapse mode enhanced so when shooting in Aperture mode the the shutter speed would chance to give a proper exposure. This could allow exposure ramping to occur up to the limit of the shutter speed of the selected shutter. Even allow you to change the shutter speed during the time-lapse if you wanted to do manual ramping.

Multiple exposure. Add a feature to shoot multiple exposures and create on image that is a combination of say ten exposures. The result is an image that is properly exposed (assuming the base exposure was correct). There are many times the doing a multiple exposure would create the equivalent of a long exposure without adding ND filters. Also since the exposures are exactly the same time apart they would create a series. One example would be shooting windmill blades or other moving objects to create stop motion image.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Phase One XF New Feature Ideas for firmware upgrades
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:45:35 pm »

I would like to see Time-lapse mode enhanced so when shooting in Aperture mode the the shutter speed would chance to give a proper exposure. This could allow exposure ramping to occur up to the limit of the shutter speed of the selected shutter. Even allow you to change the shutter speed during the time-lapse if you wanted to do manual ramping.

This is possible today with the DT Time Lapse Suite (including the ability to 100% fully suppress the dark frame even when changing shutter speeds). This suite also includes tools to use in Capture One to smooth out the changes induced by changing shutter speed.

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:17:11 pm »

Doug, Sounds like a great suite of software. Will give it plenty of use. Thank you and DT.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

william

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 11:01:47 pm »

Phase One XF New Feature Ideas

I am curious what features you have  requested or are interested in seeing in future releases of the XF firmware.

I have a couple of suggestIons and admit I have no idea how hard or feasible these would be.

Multiple exposure. Add a feature to shoot multiple exposures and create on image that is a combination of say ten exposures. The result is an image that is properly exposed (assuming the base exposure was correct). There are many times the doing a multiple exposure would create the equivalent of a long exposure without adding ND filters. Also since the exposures are exactly the same time apart they would create a series. One example would be shooting windmill blades or other moving objects to create stop motion image.

My own wishlist is embedded throughout this thread:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=110119.0

cyron123

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:40:58 pm »

It would be cool if mirror up is only a few seconds before shooting. Similar to Nikon.  This means AF is active and after 2seconds (or so) the shutter released.
With XF there is only mirror up. But there is of course no AF...

cyron123

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:20 pm »

Or 2 different mirror up modes....

Doug Peterson

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 05:44:47 pm »

Or 2 different mirror up modes....

Vibration Mode does exactly this if you disable vibration detection.

algrove

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 10:23:45 am »

I would never disable vibration mode. It is one important feature as to why I bought the XF

cyron123

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:34:19 pm »

HI Doug,
interessting! I will try this at the weekend first.... :-)
Thank you.

Vibration Mode does exactly this if you disable vibration detection.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 03:40:25 pm »

I would never disable vibration mode. It is one important feature as to why I bought the XF

Agreed. I prefer (and suggest) using vibration mode as the default/only way to shoot when on a tripod.  But if you want it to behave more "traditionally" (i.e. a set delay between mirror up and triggering) then this is a way to do it.

I actually just remembered they added a standard self-timer drive function in one of the updates (duh!). I don't have an XF in front of me but I recall this also puts the mirror up first and would have the same affect (without the unintuitive menu selection).
Pages: [1]   Go Up