Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: He buried his negs to save them  (Read 1567 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
He buried his negs to save them
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:25:46 pm »

Interesting story (and sad)

‘I buried my negatives in the ground in order that there should be some record of our tragedy.’ The photographs of Henryk Ross.

Officially, former Polish press photojournalist Henryk Ross was forced to work by the Nazi regime as a bureaucratic photographer for the Jewish Administration’s statistics department. He took photographs for Jewish identification cards, as well as images used as propaganda for the Lodz Ghetto. Ross, a Jew, was one of at least 160,000 people held in the Lodz Ghetto in Poland, second only to the Warsaw Ghetto in German-occupied Europe.

Unofficially, at great personal danger, Ross documented the cruel truth of life under Nazi rule. In the four-year existence of the Lodz Ghetto, a quarter of its prisoners died of starvation. In 1942, nearly 20,000 were deported to the death camp of Chelmno; in 1944, 70,000 were sent to Auschwitz.

There will be an exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts Memory Unearthed    - The Lodz Ghetto Photographs of Henryk Ross

Exhibit Slideshow Preview

Sure hope the arts survive...

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: He buried his negs to save them
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:41:31 pm »

Wow, hard to believe.  The images are quite moving.  Thanks for sharing Jeff.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:52:18 pm »

‘I buried my negatives in the ground in order that there should be some record of our tragedy.’ The photographs of Henryk Ross.

Thanks for the link.  I read the WPost most days, but I missed this.  Yet another reminder that what seem like stable, civilized, democratic countries can veer off out of control, and go drastically wrong.

Fortunately, "It Can't Happen Here."

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 07:13:46 pm »

I noticed in the slide show that the images were copyrighted to the AGO. Looking further I found this from the AGO website : http://agolodzghetto.com

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 05:03:49 am »

Interesting story (and sad)

There will be an exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts Memory Unearthed    - The Lodz Ghetto Photographs of Henryk Ross

Exhibit Slideshow Preview

You guys come late (very) to the party: the BBC's The Genius of Photography series of devoted photography shows explored that in fine detail at least a decade ago, including interviews with reunited survivors as well as a visit to a house from where the ' bridge' photograph was shot, the bridge constructed because Jews were forbidden access to the road.

I have an old Internet link to some of the series, but it has been hijacked by some tragicsploitation outfit I don't trust. I'm sure anyone interested can find a fresh and safe one. A good series that covers a lot of famous PJs who had lots of real talent.

Rob

donbga

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:26:53 pm »

You guys come late (very) to the party: the BBC's The Genius of Photography series

Yep! i purchased the DVDs and it was indeed a great series though for obvious reasons a lot of the history of photography was omitted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up