Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: death valley  (Read 3915 times)

jayz

death valley
« on: August 01, 2006, 03:10:17 pm »

I'm thinking of going to death valley in October as part of a vegas trip.  How far is it from vegas (by road)? and what would be the ideal place to stay.  Only expect to have one day, so would appreciate advice on the can't miss locations.

esantos

death valley
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:07:24 pm »

Death Valley is roughly a three to four hour drive from Vegas. When we visited there in May 2005 we just drove up to Furnace Creek Ranch near the southeast entrance and got a cabin without much trouble. I can't say if that is possible in October but the fall and winter months are the busiest. In May when we were there it was already getting well beyond the 100's so visitation was a little light.

The park is HUGE. There are a few other places to stay in the park most noteably the Stovepipe Wells area and the Furnace Creek Inn which is a privately owned resort (expensive). There are a few small towns around th perimeter of the park but I prefer staying onsite as the drives into the park can be long.

Peter McLennan

death valley
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 06:26:13 pm »

Go to your local Wal Mart.  Buy a Rand McNally Road Atlas for five bucks.  There's an excellent map of SW NV and eastern CA.  Study that map carefully, it'll answer all your questions.

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
death valley
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 06:59:22 pm »

With only a day I would focus on the Furnace Creek area, Badwater, Artist's Drive, Devil's Golf Course, Zabriskie Point, Natural Bridge, with maybe a trip to the Sand Dunes. If you arrive or leave via Death Valley Junction you might consider a sidetrip up Dante's peak for panoramic views, preferably early or late in the day.  If time permits you might go thru Beatty the other way and visit Rhyolite.

- DL

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
death valley
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 08:02:24 pm »

With only a day I would focus on the Furnace Creek area, Badwater, Artist's Drive, Devil's Golf Course, Zabriskie Point, Natural Bridge, with maybe a trip to the Sand Dunes. If you arrive or leave via Death Valley Junction you might consider a sidetrip up Dante's peak for panoramic views, preferably early or late in the day.  If time permits you might go thru Beatty the other way and visit Rhyolite.

- DL
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72429\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto what Don said.  

I would only add that Eureka Dunes is a LONG drive from Furnace creek while the Stovepipe dunes can be gotten to in about 25 minutes of easy driving.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 08:03:08 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

jayz

death valley
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:35:29 am »

Jack/Don,
thanks for the advice.

do you know if the places you recommended are where the racecourse is?  i remember seeing an old gregory peck film - yellow sky.  ever since i saw that film and later when i saw pics from the racecourse i've wanted to go there.

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
death valley
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 12:42:38 am »

do you know if the places you recommended are where the racecourse is?  i remember seeing an old gregory peck film - yellow sky.  ever since i saw that film and later when i saw pics from the racecourse i've wanted to go there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I assume you mean the Racetrack. That's an all day trip by itself from the valley. It's a neat place but very rough slow road, and if you go there you won't have time for anything else except Scotty's Castle and Ubehebe Crater which you pass on the way.

btw Eureka Dunes are clear over in the next valley (Eureka Valley). Bigger dunes but not worth the trip unless maybe you've got several days, and even then I'd do stuff like Titus Canyon (and Race Track) first. As Jack mentioned, go to Mesquite Dunes near Stovepipe.

- Don
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:50:17 am by dlashier »
Pages: [1]   Go Up