Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disability Spots  (Read 2098 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Disability Spots
« on: March 13, 2017, 10:51:33 am »

Da beat goes street...

Well, actually, i wasn't there for the "street" genre, but sometimes serendipity slaps you in the face so hard, it isn't even funny anymore. And it is not like i needed to be quick like a cat or something, i was already set up for my staircase project, i spotted the old man but he was walking at a completely different pace from like two centuries ago, so i could pick my nose, take a full lunch break, have a nap or two for digestion purposes, and then just needed to hit the shutter at some opportune moment.

Of course, murphy's law could be right around the corner, but it seemed to stay put and i like to flatter myself that i hit the shutter at the exact right moment, or at least the intended moment. (The intended moment being the right combination of arrows and feet.)

Russ will no doubt appreciate the fact that it is uncropped...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Disability Spots
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 11:35:02 am »

Good shooting, Oscar. And of course it would have been foolish to crop this one.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 12:01:16 pm »

Nice picture, Oscar.

Long-term projects can be a good idea, I think, as long as you stay careful about what you include in the theme. And that's not easily done: the temptation is to build the numbers at the expense of the quality of the individual images. I speak from the experience of my own Coke project, where I eventually concluded that I just didn't have a heap more to say about it; it had turned into a chore.

For my own mental make-up, it's turned out to be better to stay free of any preconceptions or plans at all. Drift is nice, but would be even nicer with a bigger bank account! I really would like to be able to do a wide, slow European drift, armed with an M9 or something like that, with a 35mm and 90mm (with suitable viewfinder!).

Of course, I'd be moving at the same pace as your old guy in the photograph, but being slow doesn't mean you don't see anything...

;-)

Rob

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 03:19:53 pm »

It's a good catch. It certainly doesn't need to be cropped: in fact, I wonder if including a little more to the left might not have been good - so we could see the turn on the stair. But no doubt you had a reason.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 03:22:01 pm »

I think that might have put the guy too close to the center of the pic, Jeremy. He shot it the way I'd have shot it, but that's a personal call.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 04:59:02 pm »

The old man walking by slowly with a cane is wearing unusually large shoes suggesting something's wrong with both of his feet, which no longer provide him solid support.

The sign indicates disability and says 2x, pointing at both his feet as well as the 2 solid yet asymmetric posts in the background holding a slanted structure.

The combination of sign and person is "central" to the message/image. I likely would never have achieved the placement had i to shoot this ad hoc from the hip as is more commonly the case with street. But like i said, this was entirely at a different pace all together.

For the curious you may find attached the staircase image (actually a wheelchair ramp) which shows more of what is to the sides. Next to this is an ugly tree which limits the inclusion of more structure, but i believe then cut off of the structure is more interesting anyway, not in the least because of the aspect ratio. I'm totally into 2x1, which for some reason that eludes me is known as 18:9...? Those video jokeys. Anyways, i even saw a portrait recently in that format, totally worked, and definitely plan on trying that as well. So many projects, so little time...
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 05:07:56 pm »

Long-term projects can be a good idea, I think, as long as you stay careful about what you include in the theme. And that's not easily done: the temptation is to build the numbers at the expense of the quality of the individual images.

Well, you recently posted that link to Robert Franks America, and i read he shot 27000 pictures from which he selected 83. What can i say? My trust in current day durability of goods is not of such proportion. Is that last sentence ambiguous enough?
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 05:26:05 pm »

Drift is nice, but would be even nicer with a bigger bank account!

Rob

QFT
Yet i recall a story about a couple who had one day decided the ratrace was enough and embarked on a roadtrip with unknown destination. They weren't even that young, but apparently young enough at heart to follow their inner voice. And it brought them to the most wonderful places and they met the most interesting people and eventually found they would always be provided for purely by serendipity, doing some work here or helping people there etc..., as if the "guiding hand" would simply bring them to where they needed to be for either personal growth, or to help others. Not that these are mutually exclusive of course.

Maybe just a romantic figment, but then again, one will only find out after taking that first step? Perhaps the sale of your apartment will bring you some ease of mind, maybe excessively so, for that M9... One may always dream, no?
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:04:40 pm »

QFT
Yet i recall a story about a couple who had one day decided the ratrace was enough and embarked on a roadtrip with unknown destination. They weren't even that young, but apparently young enough at heart to follow their inner voice. And it brought them to the most wonderful places and they met the most interesting people and eventually found they would always be provided for purely by serendipity, doing some work here or helping people there etc..., as if the "guiding hand" would simply bring them to where they needed to be for either personal growth, or to help others. Not that these are mutually exclusive of course.

Maybe just a romantic figment, but then again, one will only find out after taking that first step? Perhaps the sale of your apartment will bring you some ease of mind, maybe excessively so, for that M9... One may always dream, no?

Actually, my wife and I did pretty much the same thing when we came out here to live, except that, on her insistence, we went for bricks 'n' mortar instead of the boat I had originally intended. Which is just as well: I'd be destitute by now had we bought a water experience instead! The problem with getting older than your working life is that you start to wonder how much further the product of your sweat, blood and fears will stretch, and as bad, the problems that leaving property abroad may give your children, rather than the pleasure they might derive from using the place. FWIW, I think they would be better off getting money and not property. Money is clean, easily divided and relatively free of complications.

Regarding Robert Frank: yes, he shot a lot, but don't forget that almost immediately after the book, he called it a day on photography. Shot out; done. Same thing happened with Brian Duffy, when he also had that totally unexpected moment when he felt obliged to call it a day, right at the top of his game. I'm not going into it in public, but there was a similar sort of driving emotion that hit me when I came to the end of the pro life; a big part of it was getting sickened by one client in particular, who got the job because the previous guy handling it decided he didn't want to travel because his wife had just got pregnant, so he handed the number down the pecking order to the schmuck I had to work with - but just couldn't. You get tired of big company bullshit, and when you reckon you really don't need to work that much anymore...

Trouble with that notion is that it depends on the world staying in equilibrium. When banks stop paying interest, the game's over, but who'da thunk it could go from around 15% to almost zero? Not I.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 06:15:42 pm »

The sign indicates disability and says 2x, pointing at both his feet as well as the 2 solid yet asymmetric posts in the background holding a slanted structure.

I think clearly the sign requires you to go back and wait until you have two pedestrians, one pointed at by each of the two arrows on the sign.

Probably you should take some food with you so you survive the wait  ;)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 06:33:19 pm »

I think clearly the sign requires you to go back and wait until you have two pedestrians, one pointed at by each of the two arrows on the sign.

Probably you should take some food with you so you survive the wait  ;)

Ha, but you'd be wrong, because i have no qualms whatsoever against digital manipulations. Just copy paste the same person in the correct spot! C'est ci n'est pas un pipe. ;-)
Regards,
~ O ~

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 04:35:12 am »

For the curious you may find attached the staircase image (actually a wheelchair ramp) which shows more of what is to the sides. Next to this is an ugly tree which limits the inclusion of more structure, but i believe then cut off of the structure is more interesting anyway, not in the least because of the aspect ratio. I'm totally into 2x1, which for some reason that eludes me is known as 18:9...? Those video jokeys. Anyways, i even saw a portrait recently in that format, totally worked, and definitely plan on trying that as well. So many projects, so little time...

I retract my comment. Your framing was just right. I'd not anticipated the continuation of the ramp to the left.

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:32 am »

A very nice street scene. This encourages me to go out and see what I can see.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 10:36:21 am »

It's a great shot, Oscar. Don't change a thing.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up