Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic GX8 jpegs vs the illustrious Fuji X jpegs  (Read 8957 times)

bluekorn

Panasonic GX8 jpegs vs the illustrious Fuji X jpegs
« on: March 12, 2017, 01:16:21 pm »

I'm seventy five years of age. I want to shoot jpegs and I don't want to defend that position. I occasionally have a print made (I don't print nor want to defend that I don't print myself) from my X-E2 18-55 jpegs and they satisfy immensely. On the other hand, I'm seventy five years old and the tiltable EVF on the GX8 is calling, no, screaming at me, to get on board. I've considered the XT1 but find that viewing an LCD with the sky above is too often a lost cause (and I shoot landscapes).

The Fuji X jpegs enjoy a widely appreciated recognition as being exceedingly acceptable just as they arrive out of camera. Why is that? I assume this reputation includes a few minor tweaks to individual users preferences in the various simulation modes. 

I am wondering if photographers have found that the Panasonic GX8 can render satisfying jpegs straight out of camera with a proper set up? Or, are there intrinsic qualities in the sensor differences of Panny and Fuji that "disallow" the Panasonic GX8 to bring forth righteous jpegs out of camera that rival the Fuji? The prints I have made are never greater than 13x19 and the presence of the AA filter in the GX8 is not a factor. No pixel peeping please.

And thank you. Peter

David S

Re: Panasonic GX8 jpegs vs the illustrious Fuji X jpegs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 02:35:53 pm »

I prefer the jpeg from Fuji but the G8 produces jpeg that work for me.

Dave S

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:51:16 pm »

Hello Peter.
When I went digital 10 years ago the jpegs out of the camera weren't very nice, but things have changed and many cameras can produce stunning photographs in that format.
I've made 17 x 21 inch prints from Fuji X-T1 jpegs and they looked fine.  Fuji cameras can produce stunning jpegs, and it's not just due to a few minor tweaks. The files are more malleable and have better tonal gradations and colour compared to what my Canon camera could produce. I don't know the reason, and so am content to put it down to fairy dust behind the sensor.
I don't know anything about the Panasonic GX8, but have no reason to think it can't do the job you want. Have you considered  a Fujifilm X-T2 or X-T20? Both have tilt screens and you wouldn't need to buy new lenses.
Otherwise I'd go for the camera that feels the most comfortable in use. Perhaps your local camera store would let you try them out on the premises. Take a card with you and look at the files at home.
David

VincentR

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 07:01:08 pm »

I don't know about the Fuji jpeg quality, but I do know about the GX7 and GX8 jpeg quality. JPEG are decent enough to print after some slight tweaking (contrast, saturation, sharpness)

BTW: The tilting viewfinder is an absolute blessing for all kinds of reason.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:45:24 am »

I personally think every camera out there is quite capable and the comparisons are usually just hair splitting in the great picture.  I tell people that ask me "which camera" to go by ergonomics and feel if basic needs are met.  With that said, I have NEVER shot JPG intentionally.  However on a recent project I switched card recording modes and didnt realize that the quality also got switched at the same time.  A very large error on my part that I should have noticed.  Anyways, about 1/3 of my shoot ended up as Medium size Fine JPG.  I was horrified that I couldn't deliver and I would face the embarrassment of a reshoot with my client.  Turns out the images were just fine infact.  I delivered them as is.  (luckily the size was plenty for their use and blended in just fine with the larger files)  The colors, quality, etc... held up.  I was shocked frankly.  Thank goodness for EVFs and seeing the final product for perfect exposure.  I didn't have to do anything to them.  I shoot with an E-M1mkII.  Doesn't matter though.

Every camera gives you a few options to fine tune the contrast, saturation, sharpness, and color profile.  This makes a huge difference.  It is worth playing with the settings and tuning the look to what you expect to see in an image.  That way you don't feel the need to further adjust or do any post production.  Once that is set, I think any camera out there can turn out a decent JPG.  The settings that worked for one camera might be very different for another though.  Just use your eyes and look at images on your computer to see what camera adjustments are needed.  I have no doubt the Panasonic or any other can give great results out of camera.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

sandymc

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 10:54:18 am »

In my experience, if you like the Fuji colors, then the Panasonic JPEGs will disappoint. In all other respects, I find the differences to be minimal.

scyth

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 07:12:09 pm »

I've considered the XT1 but find that viewing an LCD with the sky above is too often a lost cause

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 10:17:52 am »

I am wondering if photographers have found that the Panasonic GX8 can render satisfying jpegs straight out of camera with a proper set up? Or, are there intrinsic qualities in the sensor differences of Panny and Fuji that "disallow" the Panasonic GX8 to bring forth righteous jpegs out of camera that rival the Fuji? The prints I have made are never greater than 13x19 and the presence of the AA filter in the GX8 is not a factor. No pixel peeping please.

And thank you. Peter

First, I can't speak to Panasonic GX8 JPGs.  The JPGs you speak of are generated in camera by the manufacturers' software/firmware.  It would seem that each camera manufacturer has different goals as to how JPGs are rendered. 

For Fuji, they have a long history in manufacturing and processing film.  This experience informs how they want their JPGs to appear.   They take great pride in offering their JPGs that look like various film stock (Provia, Velvia, Acros, etc).  You get to choose that look then further refine it based on settings available on the camera for such things as:  NR, H tone, Sharpness, Dynamic Range, etc.

Regards,
Ron

Rand47

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 01:01:22 pm »

;D    Or, perhaps this!  Works great with my little Sigma DP Merrill cameras.  Hoodman LCD loupe.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

RichDesmond

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 10:33:23 pm »

In the m4/3 world, the Olympus jpegs have a reputation for being superior to the Panasonic ones. I believe some of the Oly bodies have the same sort of tilt screen that the GX8 does.

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:06 pm »

With the GX8 you can shoot RAW (+ JPEG if you like) and then process the RAWs to taste in camera. This creates a JPEG file. Not as powerful as external software but fine for white balance & minor exposure tweaking.

-Dave-

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 05:16:08 am »

I don't shoot JPEG that often, and when I do, it is accompanying the Raw file. I have used Canon, Fuji, Panasonic, and Sony. From my experience, JPEG files are less malleable in terms of recovering highlight detail. Particularly so with JPEG files from smaller than FF cameras. I often have to recover more detail from the files than I am used to from my FF camera. At present, I experience this with my Sony A7II versus the Fuji X100T.

I really don't want to spend time in the field tweaking the JPEG parameters, but then, I am not a dedicated JPEG shooter. I like the Fuji JPEG film simulations, as I was a big fan of Fuji slide film.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 08:12:19 am »

Fuji Jpegs are special; historically speaking this is one of the their competitive edges - when you get a Fuji it tries to remind you of old Fuji film. The camera also does some local DR or curve adjustment, I believe.  I have an old X100 and the Jpegs are good.

If you shoot Jpeg like Fuji color, try and stay with the brand; changing to Pana probably means adapting to a different sort of color, as well as a new batch of lenses etc.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

RichDesmond

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 09:42:50 pm »

Peter,

In the interest of helping you out, I just bought a GX8. You can thank me later....:)
Seriously, I've been impressed with the jpegs I'm getting out of it. I generally shoot raw+, and use the jpegs for a quick culling and for some posts to the net. With the GX8 (and also the G85) the jpegs are a noticeable improvement over my previous Panasonic cameras, and a lot of them are just fine as is.
I've never used a Fuji, so can't speak to the comparison, but I'm happy with what I have.

VincentR

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 07:40:47 pm »

Hi Peter, just curious if you settled on a camera?

bluekorn

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 11:55:36 am »

Hi Vincent,
Thanks for jarring me out of my waffle mind. I'm 80-20 committed to going with Fuji. Yesterday I put my unused Panny 12-35 on Ebay. I really enjoy the film simulation modes and I love the Fuji x-files as jpegs. The thing that finally made me go with the Fuji, thereby giving up the tilting evf that is truly wonderful and for me a primary draw to Panny, is in the fact that I bought some substantial knee pads. They aren't as convenient as the GX8 evf but they allow for that lower camera angle when I'm clomping about on the rocks so prevalent in my landscape work here in northern Minnesota.

Now of course, I'm deliberating the Xt2 vs the xt20 and parting with either the xe2 or the xt1. Anyone out there know the xt20 as a landscape machine?

Peter

David S

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 12:20:10 pm »

I also had and mostly like/liked the GX8 but find the Fuji (in my case) X-Pro2 just that little bit better for me and my style. I also find the Fuji output (RAW and JPEG) have a little more detail over the GX8 too.

Dave S

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 08:23:01 am »

Hi Vincent,
Thanks for jarring me out of my waffle mind. I'm 80-20 committed to going with Fuji. Yesterday I put my unused Panny 12-35 on Ebay. I really enjoy the film simulation modes and I love the Fuji x-files as jpegs. The thing that finally made me go with the Fuji, thereby giving up the tilting evf that is truly wonderful and for me a primary draw to Panny, is in the fact that I bought some substantial knee pads. They aren't as convenient as the GX8 evf but they allow for that lower camera angle when I'm clomping about on the rocks so prevalent in my landscape work here in northern Minnesota.

Now of course, I'm deliberating the Xt2 vs the xt20 and parting with either the xe2 or the xt1. Anyone out there know the xt20 as a landscape machine?

Peter

You can get mirrorboxed that fasten on to the display to allow wais level or lower shooting
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up