Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Styles - What is the correct approach for generic automated import?  (Read 1509 times)

LikesToys

I am new to C1 (coming from Lightroom (LR) with advanced techniques).  I would appreciate experienced advice in setting up an IMPORT Style preset for C1.  As this default would be used to import from Canon 5DsR and 5D IV using a variety of Canon/Zeiss lenses - some of which have C1 defined Lens Profiles and some lenses do not have profiles.  As well I use Canon 1.4 and 2x Extenders - in LR they had their own Lens Profiles.   I would like to set up a default import preset - likely though a Style.

Here are my questions - and I admit I may be going off half caulked on this so please feel free to reset my thinking:

1) Is it appropriate to set up these adjustments as a import preset (I think through a Style): CA and High Dynamic Range, Levels, my own Curve, a bit of Clarity and Structure, sharpening and Noise reduction. 

2) Would you add anything else/ take out?  Is there a better way to do all of this?

3) for lenses that don't have a Lens Profile how do I handle the "auto" feature.  I don't want to have to press it each time.

I am asking this because I want to set up a generic import to mimic what I had to do in LR.  In LR I customized default import settings for Lightroom and Camera Raw for Negative Files by Camera Serial Number and ISO.  This is required because LR has poor defaults for sharpening and Noise reduction and toning.  C1 appears far superior but is somewhat 'reserved' in its default settings (perhaps I am wrong on this?).  Is it even appropriate to mess with the standard C1 sharpening and noise defaults?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

af_ahoy

Re: Styles - What is the correct approach for generic automated import?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 10:14:02 am »

1. I wouldn't apply noise-reduction or sharpening as part of a general-purpose User Style, since they'll be quite ISO-dependent. You can, however, change the defaults for these on a per-camera basis. At least for the Fuji XT2, I found the noise-reduction defaults that ship with C1 weren't ideal (way too strong). You can, however, create a series of Styles for each ISO level that can be applied at the same time as other Styles (with the 'Stack User Styles' option). Somewhat confusingly, you can also create Presets (which are tool-specific things), if you want to apply the Style first then override a particular setting.

2. Could maybe add some tweaks from the Color Editor tool, if you find yourself making the same adjustments every time, and that's really the point I guess – if you're doing the same thing to every image every time you import, save those changes as a User Style and apply them on import. That's what I do :)

3. No idea on this one, sorry.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Styles - What is the correct approach for generic automated import?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 01:27:09 pm »

I am new to C1 (coming from Lightroom (LR) with advanced techniques).  I would appreciate experienced advice in setting up an IMPORT Style preset for C1.  As this default would be used to import from Canon 5DsR and 5D IV using a variety of Canon/Zeiss lenses - some of which have C1 defined Lens Profiles and some lenses do not have profiles.  As well I use Canon 1.4 and 2x Extenders - in LR they had their own Lens Profiles.   I would like to set up a default import preset - likely though a Style.

Here are my questions - and I admit I may be going off half caulked on this so please feel free to reset my thinking:

1) Is it appropriate to set up these adjustments as a import preset (I think through a Style): CA and High Dynamic Range, Levels, my own Curve, a bit of Clarity and Structure, sharpening and Noise reduction.

2) Would you add anything else/ take out?  Is there a better way to do all of this?

Hi Jeff,

There are usually several ways to achieve things. In your situation, I'd first try and see if you 'always' need similar adjustments for some of the tools. For those you can set defaults, and some are camera model dependent. For Styles, you can select which of the parameters are in/excluded in that Style. If your defaults are already taken care off, you can skip those in your Styles. 

3) for lenses that don't have a Lens Profile how do I handle the "auto" feature.  I don't want to have to press it each time.

Again, if you leave the default for the tool on Automatic, you'll only need to decide for the unknown lenses.

I am asking this because I want to set up a generic import to mimic what I had to do in LR.  In LR I customized default import settings for Lightroom and Camera Raw for Negative Files by Camera Serial Number and ISO.  This is required because LR has poor defaults for sharpening and Noise reduction and toning.  C1 appears far superior but is somewhat 'reserved' in its default settings (perhaps I am wrong on this?).  Is it even appropriate to mess with the standard C1 sharpening and noise defaults?

You can make multiple Styles, and decide which one to use upon Import. The import dialog also offers the option to Include/Exclude Existing Adjustments'.

Defaults for sharpening can be changed and saved as Defaults per camera model. You can also change sharpening only (like other tool settings) by using a Style, if you save a Style that only changes those settings and nothing else (see attached). You can then apply that Style after import to a selection of your files.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up