Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printed image on 10x15 cm Hanhemuhle Photo Cards not centered  (Read 2619 times)

Gennaro_27

Hello everyone !

I'm printing some Photo Cards from Hanhemuhle on my Epson P800.
The paper is the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Ultra Smooth, 305 gsm (10x15 cm).
The media type suggested for this paper is Velvet Fine Art Paper but when I choose the 10x15 cm in the paper settings
this option is grayed out. 

What do you suggest to use instead ?

Thanks
G.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:51:27 pm by Gennaro_27 »

howardm

Re: Velvet Fine Art Paper Media Type greyed out
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 07:56:20 am »

Most likely, Ultra Prem Matte will work but cant say how well the colors will be.

The issue appears to be the following (and you are not the first one to encounter this).........

The Epson driver *requires* certain 'fine art' papers (think Velvet Fine Art) to use certain input trays/feeds, most likely, the manual one in front (I have the older 3880 and it's similar requirements) or the 'sheet' feeder.  Look in the printer manual and it will have a hard to read table about which paper goes where.

The problem is that those fine art paper feed inputs have a minimum size requirement and very often (for us in the USA) it's 8.5x11 so you can't actually put the smaller card material.

So now you're stuck.  You must use a certain feed and that feed has a minimum size requirement that you can't meet w/ the card stock.

I created my own profiles based on the 1-2 papers that Epson does NOT have that feed requirement for such as UPPM or PM or whatever.

Gennaro_27

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 09:21:01 am »

Hi Howard,

thank you for your reply. I have to say that Ultra Prem Matte is not available either. In the file attached you can see the options regarding
the paper dimension and the media type. As the other options were greyed out, at the end I choosed "Hot Press Bright" and the results (I only printed a couple of black and white images) are very good.
I used the "Auto sheet feeder" to load the paper.
The only minor fault seems to be the non perfect centered printed image on the paper along the longest side. This is maybe the consequence of what you told me before.

Thanks
G.

Gennaro_27

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:18:13 am »

"along the longest side"

Sorry, it appears to be non centered also in the shortest part.

G.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 11:19:34 am »

Well you certainly can't use Epson Velvet Fine Art paper on the sheet feed of the 3880. It is written on the flap and well documented in the manual.  I expect it is the same on the P800 due to the thickness of the paper. You have to use one of the other slots. Check the manual.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Gennaro_27

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 11:44:04 am »

Then you mean the front feeder ?

howardm

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:01:59 pm »

Yes, I believe on the P800, that means the front feeder (since the 3880 rear feed was sacrificed for the roll paper input path).

Gennaro_27

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 12:09:25 pm »

Ok, thank you. I will try when I come back home !
Ciao

G.

Gennaro_27

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 03:16:51 pm »

It seems that I can't use the front feeder because it is not available (you can see above the file attached). I tried the 100x148 mm option but again the image is not centered.
Am I missing something ?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:04:20 pm by Gennaro_27 »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:59:31 pm »

Thinking I must have missed some dramatic change that occurred with the P800 over the 3880 I just googled "Epson P800 User Guide". It is exactly the same as the 3880 in this regard. It is around page 62.

I can't see from the pics what feed you have selected but if it is the sheet feed then it will be greyed out for the cut sheet feed for Velvet Fine Art Paper.

For those thinking the front feed is the sheet feed then that is not correct. The front feed is at the front inside the output shoot. The sheet feed is is the lift up cover and the rear feed or roll feed is at the rear.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:05:42 pm by BobShaw »

hugowolf

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 10:08:53 pm »

Well you certainly can't use Epson Velvet Fine Art paper on the sheet feed of the 3880. It is written on the flap and well documented in the manual.  I expect it is the same on the P800 due to the thickness of the paper. You have to use one of the other slots. Check the manual.
It was obviously an arbitrary decision by Epson, VFA is not a thick paper. It is only 260 g/m². It feeds just fine through the sheet feeder, as do many 310 g/m² art papers.

It is a great paper, which is a difficult sell because of its lack of heft.

Brian A

Gennaro_27

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 07:14:26 am »

I tried some other options without positive results.
I also tried to select the A6 option in the paper size but again the printed image is not centered.

I printed also some A5 photo cards (14,8x21 cm) and the image is perfectly centered
So it seems to be a problem regarding just this kind of paper size (10x15 cm) and the Epson P800.

Bye,
G.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 10:23:24 pm »

VFA is not a thick paper. It is only 260 g/m².
Weight has little to do with thickness.

Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper is 0.48mm
The sheet feeder takes paper 0.003 to 0.004 inch (0.08 to 0.11 mm)
It may go through but will probably damage the sheet feeder for gripping thinner paper being 4x over the maximum thickness.
That is a lot thinner than the 3880 which allows 0.27mm. So looks like the design has changed on the sheet feeder from the 3880.

From the somewhat vague manual ....
"Use the front manual feed tray and the rear paper support to load fine art media.
Note: You can load fine art media with a thickness of 0.012 to 0.028 inch (0.3 to 0.7 mm)."
Poster board: 0.047 inch (1.2 mm) to 0.059 inch (1.5 mm). That would be the flat path.
Pages: [1]   Go Up