Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX: An Inexpensive Digital Back?  (Read 1579 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Fuji GFX: An Inexpensive Digital Back?
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:59:30 am »

My strategy may be shifting as regards the new Fuji GFX. This is an idea that is slowly occurring to me, one not too welcome. It is not meant as negative, but just about practicality... for the work I do.

From the reports I am getting from some (IMO qualified) photographers who already have the GFX is that the 63mm lens is not really usable for high-quality work (especially close-up) and the 120mm Macro, while quite high in quality, has a pronounced focus-shift. Because of the “reasonable” price of the GFX lenses, I had wondered all along if they could in fact (at that price) afford to highly correct them. It does not look good, but may be fine for ordinary use.

Apparently, the Hasselblad X1D lenses are quite good, but I gave up my place in line for that camera and, with spring coming, am not about to wait another seven months for a copy. I already did that. And, since the X1D won’t take other lenses (than the huge old Hasseleblad), that is a non-starter for me right there.

My view is that if the IQ on the GFX is very good and the base color is neutral (and can be tweaked), then for me the Fuji GFX may essentially become an inexpensive digital back for many of the fine non-Fuji lenses I have, like the Zeiss Otus series, the El Nikkor 105mm APO, and so on. My GFX is supposed to show up today, so we will soon see. I would like to hear from others with the 63mm and the 120mm Fuji, as to their “corrected-ness.”

And I still await Nikon to do something, and they may yet show up with a 50 Mpx camera that will do the job.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:14:30 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

algrove

Re: Fuji GFX: An Inexpensive Digital Back?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:36:10 am »

From the reports I am getting from some (IMO qualified) photographers who already have the GFX is that the 63mm lens is not really usable for high-quality work (especially close-up) and the 120mm Macro, while quite high in quality, has a pronounced focus-shift. Because of the “reasonable” price of the GFX lenses, I had wondered all along if they could in fact (at that price) afford to highly correct them. It does not look good, but may be fine for ordinary use.

Would very much like to know where you have seen these reports of so-so GFX lenses. Kindly let me know where this information is available. For my own research this is important to know too. TIA.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Fuji GFX: An Inexpensive Digital Back?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:39:51 am »

Would very much like to know where you have seen these reports of so-so GFX lenses. Kindly let me know where this information is available. For my own research this is important to know too. TIA.

I will do that once I have the go-ahead to share this information. Also, but tomorrow I should have my own thoughts on the matter, if as they say around here, the good god is willing and the creek don't rise.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine
Pages: [1]   Go Up