Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to judge a photo Exhibition  (Read 788 times)

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
How to judge a photo Exhibition
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:13:56 pm »

I consider myself a reasonable amateur photographer and have been fortunate to be selected in a good number of juried shows and even got a few awards. I guess that's one reason I was asked to judge an upcoming exhibit at another club's show. I would like to do some justice to the review and selection and so I turn to this forum for some guidance.  Any suggestions or sites for direction would be much appreciated.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: How to judge a photo Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:40:04 am »

Robert, see my response on User Critiques.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 09:32:38 am »

Thanks Russ,  I just read your other post and I appreciate your comments.  Yes I know those folks that challenge the judges on who got the awards but that comes with the 'honor' of being selected to judge.  So I will incorporate your thoughts in my judging.  I like the idea of immediate impression and then maybe trying to understand what about the image made me have that early response to it.

BTW looked at your site and you have been in the business for quite some time - very nice images.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:38:26 am »

Thanks, Robert. Yeah, you need to go beyond your immediate impression and try to understand why you reacted that  way, but immediate impression is the best basis for judging I've found.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up