Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BritexCom  (Read 5261 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
BritexCom
« on: March 06, 2017, 08:00:13 am »

When Britain joined the European Union it ditched/abandoned economic/diplomatic ties with the Commonwealth. Just about the same time the Queen's representative in Australia dismissed the Australian Government.

Come on the Australian Republic.

Britain has no shame. (Ditching major trading partners that are historically their best allies for commercial gain is deplorable.)

The sad thing is that there was no furore like Brexit to mark this unforgivable change.

Just thinking,

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:25:06 am by tom b »
Tom Brown

Rob C

Re: BritexCom
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:27:44 am »

When Britain joined the European Union it ditched/abandoned economic/diplomatic ties with the Commonwealth. Just about the same time the Queen's representative in Australia dismissed the Australian Government.

Come on the Australian Republic.

Britain has no shame. (Ditching major trading partners that are historically their best allies for commercial gain is deplorable.)

The sad thing is that there was no furore like Brexit to mark this unforgivable change.

Just thinking,

There was no social media.

The IWS was a good client; Oz wool used to be a big deal in the UK. (As, of course, were the DuPont fibres folks from the States.) They used to back a lot of fashion advertising work.

Post 60s the UK seems to have abandoned itself, never mind others. It used to have an identity. Take the tube from Heathrow to central London and then tell me who you think's the odd man out. Go for a walk down various parts of the big cities - if you dare - and ask yourself where you are. Visit your doctor and you may not understand him.

Britain has no shame, you suggest? So tell me, who do you imagine is Britain today?

That's what Brexit was probably all about, just as some of the folks in France and other EU countries are starting to feel. I'm afraid that it had pretty much nothing to do with economics and everything to do with identity. All it is is that after decades of left-wing soothing-talk, and developing and scooping up the votes of the massive under-classes, the country at large started to open its eyes to what the hell was going down, and the huge bulge of dependency that had been fostered. Germany has just woken up, too!

The health services are a bottomless pit into which not enough money can ever be poured; self-inflicted diseases are eating up beds and resources like never before. Weekend A&E units are drowning under vomit and violence from the assholes wheeled in after their customary fun at the pub. (It's our rights, baby! You have to look after us!) Yeah, right; tip the bastards into the rivers instead! The Thames, the Tyne and the Clyde can handle a lot. That will either sober them up or get rid of the problems.

So in the end, Tom, what can you expect from a country that's already half-way into suicide? Had entrance been regulated and confined to those making a positive value to the country (as OZ immigration controls from the UK used to do), something the rest of the EU should have adopted too, none of this would have turned out as it has. Valuable people are recognized for what they are; it's the ones lounging around the streets and squatting on park benches speaking tongues nobody understands who are the catalyst to disaster.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:34:37 am by Rob C »

Pete_G

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 05:41:10 pm »

This has to be the most disgraceful and disgusting post I've seen on this forum. LuLa is not a nice place to come to anymore.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:44:29 pm by Pete_G »

tom b

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 07:03:00 pm »

Peter, don't get your knickers in a knot. There has been a lot of talk about Brexit, I was just giving context to what Britain joining the EU entailed. That is, it turned its back on British Commonwealth countries with major economic impacts.

What is so "disgraceful and disgusting" about that? Oh well…

Cheers,
Tom Brown

graeme

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 07:25:22 pm »

Peter, don't get your knickers in a knot. There has been a lot of talk about Brexit, I was just giving context to what Britain joining the EU entailed. That is, it turned its back on British Commonwealth countries with major economic impacts.

What is so "disgraceful and disgusting" about that? Oh well…

Cheers,

Pete may not have been referring to your post Tom.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 03:41:32 am »

Pete may not have been referring to your post Tom.

I'm sure he wasn't: truth is the first casualty of all wars, even the slow and silent ones. The gag has always been used to silence and choke the slim sounds of reality checks.

And some think it only applies to Britain, today? Think again: it also happens in reverse. Years ago, maybe thirty of them, we had a local plumber working in our kitchen. During a break where he had a coffee with us, I asked him how the incoming waves of tourists and property buyers had affected the local economy. He looked at us, a mixture of positives and negatives across his face, and replied that yes we foreigners had brought in a lot of construction work for local trades, but at the same time had made it virtually impossible for the likes of himself ever to buy his own home because of the huge disparity between our financial possibilities and the local ones.

So there you are; it isn't only the poor newcomers who bring chaos in their wake. It also underscores the basic problem with the European concept: the merging if such wildly different economies under the single currency was a disaster in the making. Ask the Greeks, the southern Spanish and Italians... It was one thing the Brits got right.

Sure there are always those theorists who have been nowhere and have experienced nothing first-hand who will pontificate and throw their dainty little digits up in horror at the mere mention of human reality, but they change nothing, and have already run out of carpet under which to sweep the unpleasant facts of life.

Run, baby, run; but life catches you up, sooner or later.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:59:39 am by Rob C »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 04:14:08 am »

During a break where he had a coffee with us, I asked him how the incoming waves of tourists and property buyers had affected the local economy.

In a documentary here they showed how excessively wealthy Chinese seem to buy London property for either vacation or investment purposes, at least not to actually live there, and it resulted in deserted neighbourhoods where the local shops and businesses (hairdresser e.a.) could no longer afford to operate because of increasing property prices, yet lack of customers.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 04:19:40 am »

This has to be the most disgraceful and disgusting post I've seen on this forum. LuLa is not a nice place to come to anymore.

So, Pete, what's your take on the reality facing Britain and Europe today?

How old are you, how far back does your memory travel? And yeah, it does make a lot of difference to the country(s) you see and don't any longer recognize. That's probably why the older folks were for Brexiting, and the decision, for them, had little to do with the economy at all: they know that most of them are stuck where they are, have no chance of escape and are unhappy at where they see their world going.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 04:34:13 am »

In a documentary here they showed how excessively wealthy Chinese seem to buy London property for either vacation or investment purposes, at least not to actually live there, and it resulted in deserted neighbourhoods where the local shops and businesses (hairdresser e.a.) could no longer afford to operate because of increasing property prices, yet lack of customers.

I recognize it here, in Mallorca.

I live in a small complex that, back in '81 when we bought, new, was made up of middle-class folks either retired or just about to retire, hoping to spend their twilights here in a better climate and more peaceful, crime-free ambience. I came because of the job and the money it was costing clients to send me around the world looking for exotic beaches for photography; I thought that if I could cut travel costs down, work locally instead, I'd be more competitive. I was the youngest guy in the complex. I did no competitive work against Spaniard, all my clients were back in Britain.

Today, all those other early owners have died or have left, and instead of having the permanent neighbours we got to know so well and to love, I live the winter as perhaps the only resident in the area. Come summer, and it's stranger after stranger. As bad, owners who spend little time here don't want to spend much on keeping up standards, so everything slides... As with photography ityself, I honestly do believe that we are living through a period of dramatic change in a southerly direction. According to the Divine Law on Cosmic Pendulums, this will change and revert to better times, but it takes so long.

As for the very rich: they buy as investment, not for personal enjoyment of; in a local newspaper recently I read an article where estate agents had run out of properties around the Palma area worth over the 1.5 million € mark. It was capital in flight from the pound sterling. My own pension has plunged in value by about at least 20% since Brexit. Banks pay no dividends anymore, so it's a story of constant slide against the datum line when a pension can't even pay for the necessities.

The local estate agents are filled with properties for sale, and the tale is often the same one of times changing and the costs outstripping the ability to keep paying. Can anyone speed that bloody pendulum a bit, please?

Rob
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:43:40 am by Rob C »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 04:58:09 am »

It's happening all over.

Last year, Vancouver, BC had to impose real estate speculation tax on foreign home ownership to stop insane house price increases. Quite predictably, after the tax came into effect, the foreign buyers moved to Toronto and other cities.

Chinese-real-estate-investors-are-reshaping-the-market

and as reported in Globe and Mail:

Mr. Bendtsen’s property at 405 Railway (in Vancouver, BC) was just assessed at $14.512-million, up from $5.751-million last year. In 2016, he paid $68,852 in taxes. Based on the 2017 value, his taxes will be an estimated $175,000.

Full article:
Property Tax Revolt in Vancouver, BC

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:29:58 pm by LesPalenik »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 05:10:08 am »

I wouldn't say it's the most digraceful post.
Contraversial yes, but reflecting reality and well written. In contrast to some other posts which may be politicaly correct, but overlooking or ignoring the reality.

graeme

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 06:01:04 am »

Contraversial yes, but reflecting reality and well written. In contrast to some other posts which may be politicaly correct, but overlooking or ignoring the reality.

Well, a bit overstated I'd say & unlike Rob I actually live in the UK.

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 06:59:42 am »

And what reality would that be, exactly? I live in the UK and I don't recognize the reality of that post. It's the reality inside the mind of the poster, but not much more. In a similar way, I don't expect anything I said about the USA would reflect much reality either. I don't live there and alas have little experience of that fine country. Too many bitter-sounding oldies on this website droning on about how it's all gone to hell in a handcart. It was OK when their audience was a bench and the pub dog but now it's all over the place. Get a grip guys, there's everything to play for. You can spend your sunset years moaning or learn how to live them in an utterly disgraceful fashion. I'd suggest starting with some light shoplifting to get into condition before moving on to Class A and bank robbery, assuming medical complaints, arthritis, senile incontinence, etc., allow. At least you'll go out with a sense of adventure.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:06:13 am by mecrox »
Mark @ Flickr

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 10:42:06 am »

Yes, I don't live in the UK right now but have visited family over the years since leaving, and family still remains firmly stuck.

Even worse, with Brexit etc., I may probably find myself returning because of the possible loss of reciprocal rights that include medical attention. I've been through two heart-attacks and am proud owner of two stents, the attacks and first stent courtesy private insurance we once were able to afford, but which is now a thing of the distant past, along with film, I guess, and for not unrelated reasons. When we dumped it, we were paying €3600 a year. Pension can't cope, I'm afraid, and God alone knows what the premiums would have been by now, eight years later.

Both my kids took music lessons, and I would drive them to classes twice a week. It used to be in a reasonable residential area in southern Glasgow, a part of Shawlands, and my kids tell me they'd never go there today. It's become a Romanian ghetto (Elvis didn't sing about that one - just Chicago) with lots of crime of all sorts. The same influences are found in the Balearics and the southern mainland, the Costa el Sol, where the Russian mafia rules the roost. Don't anyone imagine for a sec that it's all Middle Eastern trouble: far from it. Rod Stewart and Sean Connery left the Costa for related reasons, if the talk's to be believed; offers that can't be refused.

Another of the top areas in Glasgow used to be Pollokshields, where there were lots of very expensive mansion houses, many since flatted. My very best client owned a house there. There was a girls' school (name escapes me right now) in the area that was private, exclusive and très chic. Both area and school are now Asian dominated. That's just since the 80s. Not suggesting better or worse: just entirely different.

And as I touched upon in an earlier post, it's the older people who are aware and remember things as they used to be, who are the ones likely to notice the changes and feel their birthright is being stolen from right under their very noses. If you're born into a war zone you know no difference, and think that's just how life is. There's a moment in the great BBC film on William Klein, where he returns to the apartment block where the family moved when his Dad lost everything in the Great Crash (as he wryly comments: it wasn't a good time to play the stock market...); a young woman joins the interview and he asks her what she thinks of the area, and does she like living there. She tells him it's all she knows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnN9LMvjM7Y

Yep, easy to get knickers twisted, but ther'e usually a reason for that.

tom b

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 11:13:04 am »

I'm an Aussie, I started this thread because we seem to expendable, Britain doesn't care about its Commonwealth allies.

Britain just dumped us when they entered the EU because they could. They were our greatest economic ally.

We have fought stupid wars in WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq etc, non of our doing, we fought to support our allies.

Our trade links with China, Japan, America and Korea have enabled us to create a sustainable, vibrant economy.

I'm glad I'm not forced to sing God Save the Queen ever again.

Food for thought,
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 11:25:42 am by tom b »
Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 04:12:34 pm »

I'm an Aussie, I started this thread because we seem to expendable, Britain doesn't care about its Commonwealth allies.

Britain just dumped us when they entered the EU because they could. They were our greatest economic ally.

We have fought stupid wars in WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq etc, non of our doing, we fought to support our allies.

Our trade links with China, Japan, America and Korea have enabled us to create a sustainable, vibrant economy.

I'm glad I'm not forced to sing God Save the Queen ever again.

Food for thought,

Trigger, the stable door's still shut! Wait before you gallop!

Yes, many Australians and other Commonwealth people died in those wars. But don't forget what war was about: on two fronts, two enemies (now our best friends... ?) Germany and Japan. And had we (UK, the States plus you guys) NOT fought, you'd now be speaking Japanese. As I might now be trying to communicate in High German.

It was the same soon after that in the Far East with the battle against Communism. Our Russ could fill you in about that.

But I think you really know already.

And I agree with you: regarding the Common Market, you were sold down the river, and it was called business. (You have no idea down how many rivers I have been sold; I'm surprised anyone found anything left to trade.)

If you'd ever heard me singing GSTQ - or anything else - you'd be grateful I keep my singing a secret vice.

;-)

Rob

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:09:24 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 10:05:12 am »

Rob,

People fly into Heathrow from all over the world. The majority jump on the tube to get into central London so it is no real surprise that tourists and foreign business people out number the residents on that line.

But if you were to get off the tube along that route you would find yourself in West London.  And if you spent a few days with us, you never know, we might just restore your faith in the human race. :)

Paul

You make a good point, but as with mine, it's really too specific and probably hides an entire army of alternatives! My elder granddaughter lives in London - she's a lawyer, and had spent a year living in Paris as part of her studies, doing a course on French Law in, of course, French. She found Paris even more theatening than London, especially the subways there. Seems the Middle Eastern types thought all white women are fair play and devoid of morals and/or self-respect... (She and her legal eagle boyfriend came up to Glasgow to visit her parents, and I believe the boyfriend was highly nervous most of the time they were out! Scottish street hospitality, no doubt.)

Enjoyed the journey through your website; very good work in there.

I found the de luxe apartment things intriguing for non-photographic reasons too: how devoid of emotional content expensive living seems to have become. I looked at the bathrooms and thought how visually cold they made me feel. We have one of ours here in Mallorca in mild pink wall tiles, and the other in a soft blue-tending-grey. The blue one is en suite with my bedroom, and even in summer I wonder what the hell we were thinking; in winter, I freeze before I enter that room!

Did you enjoy India? I was amazed to see the Glasgow Barrowland photograph! I wonder if stamper has seen your site? Barrowland Ballroom was a big deal during the 50s... I believe many a match was made therein. Tough, but highly popular.

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 10:54:30 am »

Well, a bit overstated I'd say & unlike Rob I actually live in the UK.

I disagree with the mechanisms and the underlying politics, but I think Rob's perspective is what a lot of people see, and it's part of what is driving up the extreme-right movements across Europe: a mixture of fear of loss of security by the elderly and fear of loss of work by the young.

There is a very telling graph of industrial output vs industrial employment in the US: output has continued to grow linearly except for a small dip after 2008. However employment has dropped off a cliff. It's about automation, and the extreme right is claiming that it's immigration. The money from that continued growth is now going directly to whoever can afford to buy the robots, hence the extreme concentration of wealth, at the highest levels ever in the US, approaching 1910 levels in Europe.

So there are a bunch of young people, the least qualified of whom are no longer employable, who are unsurprisingly behaving badly, which feeds back into the security concerns. The right is exploiting it, the left is pretending it isn't happening, the unions are trying to protect the status quo on which their power depends while hanging the unemployed out to dry. None of them have any idea what to do (nor do I) and are busy lining their own pockets: the cynicism and corruption in French politics are breath-taking, but I doubt it's hugely better elsewhere.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 03:44:24 pm »

I disagree with the mechanisms and the underlying politics, but I think Rob's perspective is what a lot of people see, and it's part of what is driving up the extreme-right movements across Europe: a mixture of fear of loss of security by the elderly and fear of loss of work by the young.

There is a very telling graph of industrial output vs industrial employment in the US: output has continued to grow linearly except for a small dip after 2008. However employment has dropped off a cliff. It's about automation, and the extreme right is claiming that it's immigration. The money from that continued growth is now going directly to whoever can afford to buy the robots, hence the extreme concentration of wealth, at the highest levels ever in the US, approaching 1910 levels in Europe.

So there are a bunch of young people, the least qualified of whom are no longer employable, who are unsurprisingly behaving badly, which feeds back into the security concerns. The right is exploiting it, the left is pretending it isn't happening, the unions are trying to protect the status quo on which their power depends while hanging the unemployed out to dry. None of them have any idea what to do (nor do I) and are busy lining their own pockets: the cynicism and corruption in French politics are breath-taking, but I doubt it's hugely better elsewhere.

Yes indeed, to me, the danger of the automation process has been painfully obvious all along, and I see it very clearly in what was my own profession, with the division of work reducing to the very top-end or the scraps nobody really wants... Was a time there were dozens of little commercial photographers working away and making a living in my own city of Glasgow. When I left, there were very few, most big studios going the way of the dodo. And we only have our own blindness to blame.

I can't remember the number of times that my lament on this topic (related to photography) has been countered with reference to buggy whip makers. As if the one excused the other, and the second most-used attack has been the old one about nobody owing the pro a living. Of course, no pro ever imagined that anyone did owe him a living - I think most of us always knew the commercial battles that would lie ahead: you hardly go pro without having had some real work experience in the field - how would you know where to start? But hey, what about that imaginary level playing field when you do hang out your shingle?

But yep, the robots and the machines are killing off the very people who would once have been earning the money to be customers for whatever product somebody is hoping to flog. I watched part of the UK Budget reports this evening, and the self-employed have today seen a rise in their national insurance contribution that "brings them in line" with whatever the employed pay, "which is only fair!" Not one politician interviewed mentioned the fact that the self-employed do not get all of the same benefits as the employed: no paid holiday as right, they have to provide for their own non-state pension, if they can afford one (paid for at least in part by the employer in the case of the employed person). The underlying, fake political assumption, again as sop to the LCD, is that all the self-employed are making a bloody fortune and getting away with murder. And that coming from a Conservative government that really should know better, and I'm damned sure does. The reality is that many do what they do simply because they love it, despite hardly making ends meet, and have no alternative but to keep on fighting for what they believe in, and yet others are self-employed because they are, frankly, otherwise unemployable, but it's better than doing nothing.

Yesterday I read in a local newspaper an analysis of the state of employment on this island. The big thing was a graph showing the ratios of the overqualified and the underqualified for the work they were actually doing. It's sad to see so many well qualified people working in lowly paid manual jobs they could never have imagined themselves obliged to do when they were being educated. And it's not even a new European phenomenon: back in the 60s I remember my mother returning from one of her trips to Italy and telling me about the statistics there, where so many university graduates were unemployed. Yes, back then. I read this to be an indication of the huge flaw that currently faces Britain, where there is this political cant suggesting everybody needs to have a higher education. The same people fail to explain where the well qualified will all fit! They also fail to explain (but not fail to blame) how teachers are supposed to bring the dumbest in their classes up to the standard of the brighter. It can't happen because of the reality that all people are anything but mentally equal, are far from being equally committed, and many seldom receive the total help at home that education demands. So what happens? In order to be seen to be doing something there's a never ending flow of government-inspired changes to the way teaching is done, targets are brought in, thrown out and replaced with more fantasies.

So what about jobs for the less academically able? My son used to tell me about friends he had, working as plumbers and sparks, making a grand a week. Yet, there seems to be a political blindness regarding those jobs - which hardly need university educations - and an absolute focus on bullshit about equal higher education for all, whether that's needed or was even ever possible, everybody willing to finance it. It's basically just another crazy manifestation of political correctness being forced upon the world, like it, need it or not.

It's all a friggin' mess

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:54:48 pm by Rob C »

tom b

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 01:22:01 pm »

"So what about jobs for the less academically able?"

They're in China making Trump baseball caps, Melania fashion designs and Nike sportswear.

Cheers,
Tom Brown
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up