Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Framing-buying metal frame parts uncut etc..  (Read 3394 times)

Pete JF

Framing-buying metal frame parts uncut etc..
« on: March 04, 2017, 03:14:41 pm »

Is anyone doing their own framing here?

I have to frame a bunch of stuff-upcoming, and want to try and source, for example, Nielsen, or, similar parts-uncut..

I have a nice chop box and figure I can get a good blade and cut parts myself?

Anything Im missing here as far as cutting clean miters..seems like a good blade is the ticket?

I've assembled many a frame and cut a quite a mattes..I have 36 inch cutter..

Just tired of not being able to complete the task when I want to..

Looking for sources / types of blades..frame parts, different companies etc and uncut stock frame pieces..I like a simple metal frame usually..

Thanks!

(I looked for a specific forum for this but couldn't find one)

donbga

Re: Framing-buying metal frame parts uncut etc..
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 03:56:56 pm »

Is anyone doing their own framing here?

I have to frame a bunch of stuff-upcoming, and want to try and source, for example, Nielsen, or, similar parts-uncut..

I have a nice chop box and figure I can get a good blade and cut parts myself?

Anything Im missing here as far as cutting clean miters..seems like a good blade is the ticket?

I've assembled many a frame and cut a quite a mattes..I have 36 inch cutter..

Just tired of not being able to complete the task when I want to..

Looking for sources / types of blades..frame parts, different companies etc and uncut stock frame pieces..I like a simple metal frame usually..

Thanks!

(I looked for a specific forum for this but couldn't find one)

My advice is to find an online source that will chop frames for you. You will save very little money doing it yourself.

Don Bryant

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:26:36 pm »

My advice is to find an online source that will chop frames for you. You will save very little money doing it yourself.

Don Bryant

I agree with Don. Cutting metal frames yourself is pointless. I use American Frame, they have high-end equipment and trained operators and have always, in my experience, provided frame sections that fit perfectly. Other companies will do just as well I am sure.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:10:27 am »

There are likely many good places to shop for metal frames.  I've had very good results over the years with Frame Destination and mostly order Neilsen

https://www.framedestination.com/
Regards,
Ron

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 12:14:15 pm »

I cut my own with a CTD 45 dual mitre saw. The fence system with stops is almost a must.
We also  use a single saw setup with a 6 foot right and left fence. (Probably the best for you)
You could certainly get away with a simple setup without fences as long as you have the proper blade.
Do not cheap out on a blade. Probably run you from $100 to $130.
I would have to go in the shop to see which blades I have without guessing.
Eyewear and ear protection are a must. Go slow and hold those suckers tight as any flex when cutting will mess up your angles.
Other then slightly deburring the corners all that is needed for assembly is a good screwdriver.
I purchase Nielsen MBL-15 matte black 1" by the case and I think it runs something like $1.34 a foot. The corner assembly hardware runs about .88 a pack.
Chops are so simple and in the long run you will not save anything by purchasing all this equipment unless you get into selling these in quantities.
No minimum 300 ft cases to buy if you purchase their chops.
We get all our frames and equipment from Decor Moulding in New York.
Also forgot about shipping. Full lengths are 10 ft. and are too long for UPS. They would have to be shipped truck freight or in my case their company truck delivers free to my door every Friday.

Ps: Your profile is empty which makes it very hard to guess what part of the world you are from.
You might have a company right in your back yard that could help you?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:58:58 am by Dan Berg »

disneytoy

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 01:54:15 am »

Dan knows his stuff:-)

BillK

• http://
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:58:30 pm »

Like Dan, I cut my own metal frames. You should use a fence and stop system as he mentions, and the correct blade.
I get my moulding from CMI moulding, I think they have offices around the country. The profile I get cost $2 per foot
if bought in case quantities. (100' per case, 10 - 10' pieces) They deliver to my door once a week for a very small fee. I think it is $7,
and they are driving 300 miles to get to me. Of course there are several others in my area they are delivering to on the same day.
If you are doing enough volume you can purchase the hardware in bulk (case of 100 sets) for a little less money.
It all depends on your volume if it would be worth it to cut your own. Also I personally prefer to do everything possible myself
to keep cost to a minimum but also to control quality and production time. Nice to not have to wait days for someone else to
get custom cut frames to you.

Pete JF

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:45:01 pm »

I cut my own with a CTD 45 dual mitre saw. The fence system with stops is almost a must.
We also  use a single saw setup with a 6 foot right and left fence. (Probably the best for you)
You could certainly get away with a simple setup without fences as long as you have the proper blade.
Do not cheap out on a blade. Probably run you from $100 to $130.
I would have to go in the shop to see which blades I have without guessing.
Eyewear and ear protection are a must. Go slow and hold those suckers tight as any flex when cutting will mess up your angles.
Other then slightly deburring the corners all that is needed for assembly is a good screwdriver.
I purchase Nielsen MBL-15 matte black 1" by the case and I think it runs something like $1.34 a foot. The corner assembly hardware runs about .88 a pack.
Chops are so simple and in the long run you will not save anything by purchasing all this equipment unless you get into selling these in quantities.
No minimum 300 ft cases to buy if you purchase their chops.
We get all our frames and equipment from Decor Moulding in New York.
Also forgot about shipping. Full lengths are 10 ft. and are too long for UPS. They would have to be shipped truck freight or in my case their company truck delivers free to my door every Friday.

Ps: Your profile is empty which makes it very hard to guess what part of the world you are from.
You might have a company right in your back yard that could help you?

Hi Dan..thanks for the info..looking into sources in, my city, which is Chicago..luckily I'm in a big market.

I have a decent chop box setup in my basement so I should be able tighten up a jig for this..
Do me a favor and let me know what blade you're using..

Thanks!

Pete JF

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:47:22 pm »

Like Dan, I cut my own metal frames. You should use a fence and stop system as he mentions, and the correct blade.
I get my moulding from CMI moulding, I think they have offices around the country. The profile I get cost $2 per foot
if bought in case quantities. (100' per case, 10 - 10' pieces) They deliver to my door once a week for a very small fee. I think it is $7,
and they are driving 300 miles to get to me. Of course there are several others in my area they are delivering to on the same day.
If you are doing enough volume you can purchase the hardware in bulk (case of 100 sets) for a little less money.
It all depends on your volume if it would be worth it to cut your own. Also I personally prefer to do everything possible myself
to keep cost to a minimum but also to control quality and production time. Nice to not have to wait days for someone else to
get custom cut frames to you.

Thanks Bill..I'm wanting to do this for the same reason..Same question for you..what blade are ou happy with?

I'm on 12 inch saw BTW..overkill but it's what I have..

what are you doing for glass? Are you cutting from factory sizes in bulk orders or...?

I'm very proficient at cutting my own glass..I'm blessed/cursed to own a building with a lot of windows..many of them original from 1890 and I've cut a ton of glass in my day..

Pete JF

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 02:49:55 pm »

Hi Dan..thanks for the info..looking into sources in, my city, which is Chicago..luckily I'm in a big market.

I have a decent chop box setup in my basement so I should be able tighten up a jig for this..
Do me a favor and let me know what blade you're using..
Dan..what are you doing about glass?

Thanks!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:38:54 pm »

We do not use glass for anything.
Most prints are canvas mounted to gatorboard mounted in either wood or metal frames or gallery wraps.
We do quite bit of fine art printing but again no mats or glass.
Am on the road for 2 days and will look at my blades when I get home.

William Chitham

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 07:07:54 am »

I have had some success cutting Nielsen extrusions with a standard 10" chop saw. I bought an aluminium specific blade (80 tooth made by Trend I think) and devised a pretty accurate fence/stop system. I more than recouped the cost of the blade on one job making 12 40" x 20" frames but it would have taken forever to cover the cost of the saw if I'd had to buy that as well. If I had the luxury of enough space to leave the saw set up permanently I'd definitely do more of it but as it is I only find it worthwhile if I have 10 or more frames to make and nothing else pressing to do. It makes a nice change from staring at the computer and feeding paper and ink into the printer though.

Here are some things that I have learned:
1. Cutting is quick but setting up the saw, getting the cut angle just right etc takes time so it is only worth doing if I have a decent batch of frames to make.
2. It is quite tricky working out how much frame section to buy for a job. I am always tempted to overorder to be on the safe side but then the profit is tied up in the leftovers gathering dust in the garage.
3. The shiny black finish on the frame section is robust but anything matt and particularly anything white is extremely easy to mark whilst cutting. I actually find it worthwhile to cover white sections with masking tape before cutting to avoid wastage. It is important to keep the work area clean; I have a reasonable dust extractor hooked up and blow the swarf off the saw and fence with compressed air between cuts.

William Chitham.

framah

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 10:00:46 am »

Pete..
What do you mean when you say you "have a chopbox".?
When I hear someone say that, I envision one of those old wooden hard maple boxes with a backsaw that gave you a close approximation of an angle you were trying to get.
Pretty much only good enough for rough carpentry.

Unless you can lock in an ACCURATE 45º angle and repeat that cut every time, then the overall look of your work will suffer with gaps in the corners showing and in the long run, it really IS cheaper to just buy chops from a place like American Frames or some other online frame company.

I own my own framing business so I have a Pistorious double mitered chop saw with both blades locked to 45º and I  can stand there all day and chop metal or wood and get  consistent cuts. That setup cost around $8,000 long ago.

Also like someone said, to cut your own frames, you will need to buy in length, which can only come by freight which can get expensive for what little moulding you  might buy. Once the freight charge is added into the cost, your will be close to what you might pay at American frame for their chops delivered...especially adding in the hassle factor of chopping and storage of length moulding.

Most times, it only makes it worth it for me if I buy around 500 - 1,000 foot at a time.

By the way, the specific forum would be http://www.thegrumble.com/index.php

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."
Pages: [1]   Go Up