Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Illstrator CS2 and custom paper sizes  (Read 8585 times)

gadget

Illstrator CS2 and custom paper sizes
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:39:04 am »

Hi
I've created a large image in Illustrator CS2 and I need to print it on roll paper. I haven't been able to customize the paper size, though. The "page setup" menu doesn't provide for roll paper and it won't allow me to enter custom measurements. The Illustrator print menu doesn't provide for roll paper selection either. Has anyone else delt with this?? I'm on a Mac with OS 10.4 and printing with an Epson 2200.

Thanks,
Jack

p.tinson

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 08:05:31 am »

Jack
            With OS 10.4 in page setup you need to go to manage custom size (at the bottom of the list).
Click on the + button, set up your custom size with 3mm margins all round, double click on the untitled and name it as somthing you will reconise.
When you click on OK this takes you back to the page setup dialog, select the custom paper that you have just set up. ensure that the orientation is correct.
When you get back to Illustrator print dialogue click on printer and set up the driver as you need (the source in the print set up should be roll, determined by the 3mm margins all round ). When the driver is set up and you click on print it takes you back to the Illustrator print dialogue, THIS IS IMPORTANT, go back into the page setup and reselect your custom page (make this the last thing you do before hitting the Illustrator print button to print the job).
Peter

gadget

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 04:13:36 pm »

Thanks Peter
I've done those steps, except that I don't see "source" in the printer menu. So I have created a custom size and saved it accordingly, but I'm still getting prints (when I get them) that are cropped in width, off center, and I'm not sure that I'll actually get to make a full 10' print due to the 2200's 44" limitation. (by the way, I've checked to make sure the "artboard" is the correct size).

Other problems: I'm not able to select "custom" in the media size menu of Illustrator's print menu. And, when I attempt to print, the printer rolls out about two feet of paper and stops.
Oy vey! Nothing is ever simple, eh?

More help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jack

Jack
            With OS 10.4 in page setup you need to go to manage custom size (at the bottom of the list).
Click on the + button, set up your custom size with 3mm margins all round, double click on the untitled and name it as somthing you will reconise.
When you click on OK this takes you back to the page setup dialog, select the custom paper that you have just set up. ensure that the orientation is correct.
When you get back to Illustrator print dialogue click on printer and set up the driver as you need (the source in the print set up should be roll, determined by the 3mm margins all round ). When the driver is set up and you click on print it takes you back to the Illustrator print dialogue, THIS IS IMPORTANT, go back into the page setup and reselect your custom page (make this the last thing you do before hitting the Illustrator print button to print the job).
Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72227\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

p.tinson

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 05:46:50 pm »

Jack
   as you say its not easy.
You can get up to 227.5 inches to print from illustrator (the maximum artboard size).
How ever you need to use the tiling function of illustrator and use the printer in banner mode.

First if you do not have more than one copy of the 2200 in the printer set up you will need to add the roll paper banner printer.
If you launch the printer setup utility, and click on add icon, then click on more printers at the bottom of the window, then select the epson (usb/firewire) conectivity you have, when the printer comes up in the window highlight it  and at the bottom of the window there is a pagesetup dropdown menu, in that select either the paper source type you need or if you scroll to the top there is "all" ( if you select this there will be a number of copies of the printer installed each with a different type of paper source/type) then click the add button.
If you can give me the size of your artboard I can work out the settings you need for the page size and give you detailed instructions for illustrator.
Peter

p.tinson

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 06:15:08 pm »

Jack
      I have attached a PDF of how to setup custom page in illustrator.
Peter

gadget

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 07:49:35 pm »

Thanks for the help, Peter.
I have yet to look at your PDF (I'm taking a break, working on another aspect of the project while I collect my whits.  ) but the image size is 9" wide by 114" long.

Jack

Jack
      I have attached a PDF of how to setup custom page in illustrator.
Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

gadget

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 12:35:10 am »

Peter, your PDF file didn't open up legibly.
I think I've made some progress, though it's led me to believe that making these prints on my printer isn't going to happen.

I don't have a Postscript RIP for my 2200 and think that's what is preventing me from actually using
the custom settings I'm inputting. Every time I go through the process of creating or selecting the custom settings, they are reverted back to panoramic by the printer driver, I believe, because I'm unable to select "custom" in the "media" menu in Illustrator's print menu. The lack of a postscript printer driver is the cause.......I think.

I'm all eyes for some education on this if anyone out there wants to chip in.

Thanks.

gadget

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 04:36:36 pm »

Well, I have certainly displayed my ignorance about PostScript to all to see. The answer is, no, I don't need a RIP or a PPD in order to get beyond the 2200's 44" limitation on print size.

In my last, and I'm happy to say successful, run at it, I created a custom size that is 12.94" wide by 118". In the Print>setup menu I selected "Crop Artwork to: Artboard" and "Tiling: Tile imageable areas" I'm not sure if one, two, or all of these changes made the difference, but I was finally able to get a full size print. Yea! Looks great, too.

Thanks for the assistance,
Jack

francois

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 04:02:55 am »

Peter, your PDF file didn't open up legibly.
I think I've made some progress, though it's led me to believe that making these prints on my printer isn't going to happen.
Jack,
This is a long-standing bug in the forum software. You need to save the linked file (control-click or right-click on the attachment and choose "Save Linked File to Desktop"). The file will be saved on your destop and named index.php.html. You need to rename it with .pdf as extention (ex: custompages.pdf). The Finder will ask you if you really want to use the .pdf extention, just click the "Use .pdf" button. This way, Preview or Adobe Reader will be able to open it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 04:08:33 am by francois »
Francois

reihau

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 01:09:40 pm »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if my questions seem redundant. I have been trying to print a panoramic image (9" x 55") on my 2200 using either Illustrator or Photoshop and with custom print sizes to bypass the roll paper size limitation of 44".  I tried using the tiling trick according to the PDF in the earlier post using Illustrator, but that didn't work. I've also tried extensive workarounds in Photoshop that also didn't work.

I'm using Illustrator CS2 (v. 12.0.1) on Mac 10.4.7. The Epson driver is v. 1.84 (though it says, Epson SP 2200 (3,5) in the Printer Utility Window).

This has been my process:
-Created a custom Illustrator file: 9" x 55"
-Placed Photoshop file (saved as TIF) within Illustrator file
-Went to Command+Print, selected SP 2200 (Roll Paper) at top of page Printer Selection
-Clicked on Page Setup and created custom paper size: 12" x 60" with .13" margins all around (could not figure out how to set margins in centimeters)
-Clicked on Printer and configured Epson Print Settings
-Selected Illustrator>Setup and selected Crop Artwork to: Artboard and Tiling: Tile Imageable Areas

So, when I'm finishing setting up all this, each time, the Page Setup reverts to US Letter or Panoramic paper, instead of my custom paper size. I'm also unable to print the full panoramic image.

I'm wondering if the combination of my particular OS, Illustrator version, and Epson printer driver is preventing the tiling trick to work. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks very much,

Rei Hau

gadget

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 01:27:33 pm »

Hi Rei Hau
I went through the same frustration. I think what ultimately worked for me was saving the custom size. I didn't save it as a pdf, just saved the configuration. It was several weeks ago (seems like months been so busy) so I don't remember step-by-step. All I can say is that it eventually worked for me and took me by surprise. By the time I had it working I had arranged for someone else to print - they got back to me just as it was working for me. (Maybe you need to do the same, get someone else to help, then try it again.  
I think, though, if you slowly go step-by-step and save the custom size, deal with tiling (I think I set it to "all imageable areas", and make sure your 'artboard' is of the right size, it'll work.

Good luck,
Jack

reihau

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 09:01:08 pm »

Hi Rei Hau
I went through the same frustration. I think what ultimately worked for me was saving the custom size. I didn't save it as a pdf, just saved the configuration. It was several weeks ago (seems like months been so busy) so I don't remember step-by-step. All I can say is that it eventually worked for me and took me by surprise. By the time I had it working I had arranged for someone else to print - they got back to me just as it was working for me. (Maybe you need to do the same, get someone else to help, then try it again.  
I think, though, if you slowly go step-by-step and save the custom size, deal with tiling (I think I set it to "all imageable areas", and make sure your 'artboard' is of the right size, it'll work.

Good luck,
Jack
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74237\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Jack. I'm still trying, though I'm stumped as to why the Paper Size always defaults to US Letter or Panoramic, not my Custom Size that I already set up. I'm now trying to just print up to 44" with a large border all around and that is not working well either.

If you happen to remember your steps to success, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Best,

Rei Hau

gadget

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 12:44:09 am »

Frustrating, I know. I had the exact same problem with resetting to panoramic. You saved a new paper size under "manage custom sizes" right? And you selected "tile imageable areas" under tiling, yes? If yes and you still have problems, try the other tiling settings. Uhhhh

Good luck,
Jack

Thanks, Jack. I'm still trying, though I'm stumped as to why the Paper Size always defaults to US Letter or Panoramic, not my Custom Size that I already set up. I'm now trying to just print up to 44" with a large border all around and that is not working well either.

If you happen to remember your steps to success, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Best,

Rei Hau
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74291\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

p.tinson

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 04:23:51 am »

Rei Hau
   The custom page size you need to set up will have to be a sub mutiple of the length of print you require but less than 44 inches.
In the example of the 55 inch document you are trying to print then I would set up a custom page size of 28 inch, (this would equate to two tiles with a slight margin).
After seting up the custom page you need to select it.
With Illustrator you need to reselect the paper size as the last thing befor hitting the print button in the illustrator print dialog.
Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up