Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Same spot at different times  (Read 2694 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Same spot at different times
« on: March 04, 2017, 07:25:59 am »

I know many photographers who say they will never go back to the same location again. With so many amazing locations out there I can understand that, but since I run workshops I basically have to come back to the same spots again unless I research new locations all the time which would be impossible. But since I have to, some have asked if you don't get bored about getting back to the same spots and shots. My answer is always that I experience something new every time I come back besides finding some spots that I hav not noticed before. Even with the same spots the landscape can look very very different from year to year. I have attached here a few examples from the Belvedere view in Tuscany outside of San Quirico at the same time in May in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.

So my view is that it is very very nice to get back to the same locations to not only find some new spots but also see the same landscapes in totally different light and conditions.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Same spot at different times
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 07:34:45 am »

I have also come in Tuscany many times in November and once in October (last attached picture).

Now all these examples were variations of the same scene including much of the same elements. I could have shown similar variations of many other scenes and new spots I didn't cover all the years.

I hope I have given you some appetite on going back to the same locations over and over and it could be in nearby locations :)

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:05 am »

I have been having an affair with a pool for years (more than twenty)...

Here a moment of our private life

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:19:39 am »

Nice examples Hans, and I agree, if you look for it there is always something new to see even in familiar places.

What also strikes me is the different position of the sun between spring and fall, in spring it seems to rise more north-east, while in the fall it's more towards south-east.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:27:01 am by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 12:39:06 pm »

Nice examples Hans, and I agree, if you look for it there is always something new to see even in familiar places.

What also strikes me is the different position of the sun between spring and fall, in spring it seems to rise more north-east, while in the fall it's more towards south-east.

Thanks Pieter, yes, in May the there is side lighting over the landscape and in November the sun is directly over the hills at the far end. So shooting straight against the sun then at sunrise. I like both but as you say it is very different.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 12:47:48 pm »

Beautiful examples, Hans.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:42:16 am »

Great work as usual Hans, and very good idea for a thread :) As you, I have to go back to the same spots over and over again for my Workshops, but I find this extremely rewarding and photographically interesting. I try to add a couple locations (and new Workshops) per year, if I can, but I LOVE to go back to the same locations!

I think that being able to keep being inspired by the locations I revisit and being able to see old spots with new eyes, is fundamental to successfully guide Workshops and get my participants as excited about working on a location as I am :)

Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 10:45:52 am »

There's no shame in returning to places you're already familiar with. Time of day, atmospheric conditions and time of year (especially in temperate and polar regions) means that scenes are never really the same. Furthermore, when you get to know a place, you start seeing far more than the obvious, creating a richer experience, and, hopefully, more meaningful photographs.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 05:51:48 am »

Excellent examples and photos. I too go back to several spots many times.

SZRitter

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 08:49:23 am »

In October last year, I picked up a used Fuji X100S as a test bed to see if I liked the XTrans. While I am not sold on the sensor being any better, I do love that particular camera body.

With a want to shoot the camera more, I started to shoot it on the walk from my car to my office. Next to where I park is a pond that was/is used for water for snowmaking. Across the street from that is the "showpiece" hotel. I shot this particular shot most mornings as I came in to work. And I think this REALLY helped me learn the camera and helped my photography greatly. The first few times, it's just about seeing the scene, or a few things in it. The more I shot it, the more it became about setting up the camera correctly, and seeing the light. Practicing this one scene allowed the tangible things you know (like this is a building, this is a road, this is a pond) to fall away and the technique and aesthetics to come to the forefront. Then, when I went to other scenes, I can rely on the tricks I learned in my "lab" to get better photos.

So in summary, I see huge value in revisiting scenes.

Also, your images are great, and I am highly jealous that you found such a wonderful place to shoot.  :P

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:08:27 pm »

Thanks for the comments. I think going back to the same scenes as several said enables the photographer to see beyond the obvious you see the first time and see it differently. Besides as I alluded to in my examples simply the scenes look so different so that alone would be enough to enjoy coming back. Seeing new angles and work out new spots based on what is seen on the known spots also as an aspect I enjoy a lot. Sometimes with great difficulty have a found some other viewpoints based on where I was and saw a different possibility which involved studying maps etc. to find out how to go to that other viewpoint I had in mind. Sometimes I also see a picture on e.g. 500px or Flickr (or LuLa :) ) from the same area which makes me think about how I could get something similar (not to replicate) or maybe different based on my knowledge of the locations and what I saw in that particular shot.

leuallen

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 03:32:31 pm »

I often return to the same spots. Here is one example showing a wide diversity of images.

Larry

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 03:22:44 pm »

I also revisit the same places a lot. Primarily because I live near some nice landscapes and it is convenient. I've also heard it's "something the masters do/did" which seems believable to me. To get a shot at the very best moment, it's probably going to take a few tries unless you are very lucky.

Tomichi Creek and Carbon Peak come to mind as good locations I have shot at or from many times.
-MattB

John R

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 11:51:12 pm »

Excellent Hans. And I also enjoyed the comments, many of which echo my own sentiments.

JR

Pages: [1]   Go Up