Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac - how good are they?  (Read 15687 times)

Khurram

iMac - how good are they?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 09:00:22 pm »

i was also considering an iMac over a PC.  Made the mistake of buying a dell (similar to what you are considering).  the card readers didn't work, and despite the fact that i told the dell support staff that it didn't appear that the card drive was installed properly (was shaking, not in place firmly), he had me rebooting around 5 times, and trying other things b4 getting me to open the casing and finally after 1 1/2 hours said that it looks like there may be a loose screw!!!
he recommended that i wait for Dell to send a replacement screw which i could replace the "faulty" screw with.

i sent the system back and am looking to get an iMac as well.  However, bcoz of a trip i'm planning through the southwest, i will probably need a laptop more immediately.  I wanted to get some advice on an Apple laptop i could get (iBook??), that could run photoshop, do raw file processing in the field and.....and this is the clincher be relativley affordable (i'm hoping to only spend around $1200-$1500).

Is there a mac laptop that would meet my needs?  How much Ram is needed, and how large a HD would be recommended?  (how much free space would there be after the operating system and other software requirements???

once i do get an iMac, will it be seamless switching back and forth between the Laptop and iMac (same operating system on both?)
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2006, 09:07:44 pm »

A Mac RAW converter running Native under Intel is pretty decent speed wise so a new MacBook Pro would do the trick (max it out in RAW: 2 Gigs). Lightroom is Natve where as ACR isn't.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

francois

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 06:21:42 am »

...Is there a mac laptop that would meet my needs?  How much Ram is needed, and how large a HD would be recommended?  (how much free space would there be after the operating system and other software requirements???...
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
As Digitaldog said a [a href=\"http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/]MacBook Pro[/url] or even the cheaper MacBook will do fine as long as you have enough RAM.
Francois

Rokcet Scientist

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 07:29:06 am »

i was also considering an iMac over a PC.  Made the mistake of buying a dell (similar to what you are considering).  the card readers didn't work, and despite the fact that i told the dell support staff that it didn't appear that the card drive was installed properly (was shaking, not in place firmly), he had me rebooting around 5 times, and trying other things b4 getting me to open the casing and finally after 1 1/2 hours said that it looks like there may be a loose screw!!!
he recommended that i wait for Dell to send a replacement screw which i could replace the "faulty" screw with.
You get what you pay for.
i sent the system back and am looking to get an iMac as well.  However, bcoz of a trip i'm planning through the southwest, i will probably need a laptop more immediately.  I wanted to get some advice on an Apple laptop i could get (iBook??), that could run photoshop, do raw file processing in the field and.....and this is the clincher be relativley affordable (i'm hoping to only spend around $1200-$1500).
Dream on.
Is there a mac laptop that would meet my needs? 
Of course (except at your desired price point!).
How much Ram is needed,
1GB is enough, but you'll enjoy the elbow room of 2GB.
and how large a HD would be recommended?  (how much free space would there be after the operating system and other software requirements???
What are your "other software requirements"???
once i do get an iMac, will it be seamless switching back and forth between the Laptop and iMac (same operating system on both?)
What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 07:32:18 am by Rokcet Scientist »

Rokcet Scientist

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 08:05:52 am »

Current MacBooks and MacBook Pro's, with their Intel Core Duo processors, are the fastest laptops on the planet. Apparently, that is not enough for Apple: rumour has it that Apple will be shipping them as off September with Merom processors, the mobile variant of the Intel Core 2 processor: considerably faster still, as well as much easier on the batteries.
So, if you can wait till then, I suggest you do.

Khurram

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2006, 11:58:21 am »

Current MacBooks and MacBook Pro's, with their Intel Core Duo processors, are the fastest laptops on the planet. Apparently, that is not enough for Apple: rumour has it that Apple will be shipping them as off September with Merom processors, the mobile variant of the Intel Core 2 processor: considerably faster still, as well as much easier on the batteries.
So, if you can wait till then, I suggest you do.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73128\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

looks like i will have to spend a ot more then i hoped - i guess i could do that if i hold off on the iMac purchase.

Do you know when in September the new macbooks with the Merom processors are expected to be released.  I'm going to be going on a trip to the southewest on sept 12, so i would like to have a computer by then.   Will the new processors be in the same price range?
----

Rokcet Scientist

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 12:30:41 pm »

looks like i will have to spend a ot more then i hoped - i guess i could do that if i hold off on the iMac purchase.
Look on the bright side: you'll get what you pay for!
Do you know when in September the new macbooks with the Merom processors are expected to be released.
No. Nobody does. Apple never pre-announces new products.
I'm going to be going on a trip to the southewest on sept 12, so i would like to have a computer by then.
I'm guessing they'll be launched second half of September, Khurram. So I suggest you rent or borrow one for the time being, if you really need one.
However, if you're flying: with the new cabin rules you'll have to check your laptop and camera gear – unlocked!, and have them stuffed in the hold!
Tip: get very good insurance!!!
Will the new processors be in the same price range?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73149\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I expect so.

francois

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2006, 12:37:54 pm »

...looks like i will have to spend a ot more then i hoped - i guess i could do that if i hold off on the iMac purchase....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73149\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Do you really need an iMac and a MacBook (Std or Pro)? You can easily hook up an additional monitor to any version of the MacBook and larger USB or FW external hard drives are also easily connected.
Francois

Khurram

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 07:07:45 pm »

Do you really need an iMac and a MacBook (Std or Pro)? You can easily hook up an additional monitor to any version of the MacBook and larger USB or FW external hard drives are also easily connected.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73249\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

francois,

If I only purchase the Mac Book Pro, will it be sufficient to use for scanning As well (I wanted to pick up the Epson V700 scanner to scan the thousands of Velvia slides i have from before going digital).  I also thought that photoshop would run better with the iMac then the Mac BOok Pro.  I'm basically making this assumption best on my experiences with PC's vs. the Dell & IBM laptops i have experience with.
----

francois

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 03:28:37 am »

MacBooks Pro and iMacs have essentially the same CPU and graphic power. The only difference that I can see is hard drive performances/capacities, but both machines support external FireWire drives.

You can read some benchmarks here, notice that iMacs & MacBooks Pro scores are really close.

I'd say that either machine will be fine to scan your Velvia slides. I did the same with an old iMac G3 and a Nikon CoolScan a few years ago. If I had to choose just one computer (iMac or MacBook Pro) it would be the MacBook Pro.

As for MacBooks Pro updates coming in September, this is not official and you can read the source of this speculation here.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 05:45:35 am by francois »
Francois

Khurram

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2006, 11:51:57 pm »

MacBooks Pro and iMacs have essentially the same CPU and graphic power. The only difference that I can see is hard drive performances/capacities, but both machines support external FireWire drives.

You can read some benchmarks here, notice that iMacs & MacBooks Pro scores are really close.

I'd say that either machine will be fine to scan your Velvia slides. I did the same with an old iMac G3 and a Nikon CoolScan a few years ago. If I had to choose just one computer (iMac or MacBook Pro) it would be the MacBook Pro.

As for MacBooks Pro updates coming in September, this is not official and you can read the source of this speculation here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73295\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Francois for the benchmark link.   Is it advisable to use another monitor for doing editing with P/S with the macbook??  If so, is there reasonably priced apple monitor that you would suggest??  I know with both my IBM and Dell laptops it is difficult to gauge color and contrast and how hard it is to gauge what viewing angle should br used.
----

francois

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 05:00:44 am »

Thanks Francois for the benchmark link.   Is it advisable to use another monitor for doing editing with P/S with the macbook??  If so, is there reasonably priced apple monitor that you would suggest??  I know with both my IBM and Dell laptops it is difficult to gauge color and contrast and how hard it is to gauge what viewing angle should br used.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Apple monitors are expensive! My feeling is that 15" or 17" MacBook Pro monitor is reasonably good and you could start using it and decide later if you need an additional monitor or not. You don't need to purchase an Apple monitor as MacBooks Pro are equipped with DVI connectors ([a href=\"http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html]tech specs[/url]) so your choice is not restricted to Apple's offerings.

Although I've not made extensive tests, I've found iMacs and MacBooks Pro monitors to be equivalent in quality. Others with more experience and owning both types of computers (iMacs Intel & MacBook Pro) may give their input?
Francois

Kevin Cheesman

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 07:20:40 am »

I have been a PC user for years, but when the iMac came out I bought one. I can't say the particular model I have is that fast, however the new Intel machines are much faster.

The thing to remember over everything is that Mac's are virus-free and just work. PC's need constant care if your not wanting to have problems.

I have a new dual-core Mesh PC and I'm sure this will be the last PC we'll ever use. I'm waiting for the new Mac Pro to be out a while and then I'm getting one.

Everything just seems better on a Mac :-)

------------------

www.schoolphotopro.com
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 07:21:49 am by Kevin Cheesman »

Rokcet Scientist

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 11:07:49 am »

I have been a PC user for years, but when the iMac came out I bought one. I can't say the particular model I have is that fast, however the new Intel machines are much faster.

The thing to remember over everything is that Mac's are virus-free and just work. PC's need constant care if your not wanting to have problems.

I have a new dual-core Mesh PC and I'm sure this will be the last PC we'll ever use. I'm waiting for the new Mac Pro to be out a while and then I'm getting one.

Everything just seems better on a Mac :-)[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73404\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Don't you just wish you'd switched years ago?
Macs are fun (compared to PC's)!

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2006, 02:56:11 am »

I work in education and we just replaced two formerly PC labs in my area (Dell towers) with the Intel iMac (20", 2GHz, 2 gigs RAM). A big selling point was still being able to run Windows in those labs for those who needed it. We chose to go with the Parallels option, and it works great.

In my office I use one of these Intel iMacs (mainly to run Windows-only plug-ins and imaging apps I couldn't otherwise), along with a G5 iMac (which I will probably replace with the Intel soon).

I haven't loaded Photoshop on the Intel in my office yet, so can't offer my opinion of performance comparisons.

The platform battle is over--you can have both in one machine! And Linux if you desire. Nicer hardware too ;-).
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog

Rokcet Scientist

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2006, 08:58:26 am »

The platform battle is over--you can have both in one machine!
Sure, as long as that machine is an Apple, of course.      
And Linux if you desire.
And Solaris, and Unix, and a handful of Windoze flavors.
And all at the same time if desired!
Imagine the impact of dual and quad core processors on that, given a half dozen Gigs of RAM!
Nicer hardware too ;-).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73506\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No lo contendere.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 08:05:30 pm by Rokcet Scientist »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up