Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Pro 4900, non of the colors is working after replacing the printhead  (Read 3678 times)

PrinsPhoto

Looking forward to some good advice regarding my issue. The Epson pro 4900 was working well untill suddenly two colors (VLM and LC) didn't work anymore while  printing a nozzle check. I cleaned the nozzles several times with the service program on CL2 and CL3 but noresult. After a while I got a 4000 maintance request which said that the head was broken. So I replaced the head and when I print a nozzle check none of the colors is working anymore!!!  Cleaning with the serviceprogram doesn't help either, so it's getting worser than it was before. I'm wondering which part is causing this problem...... The Inkt selector or the pump or another part??? Hope to get some advice on this. Best Regards, Piet

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

Hi Piet,

Unless you are a qualified and experienced technician on the 4900, the problem might be you, not the printer. The Service Manual is not a substitute for training and experience working on those machines; it takes very little error to put them off completely. I think you should start by calling Epson Tech Support for advice (phone support is usually free regardless of warranty expiry); if they recommend you bring in a certified technician to reassemble it all for you, this could well be your best option.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

not only that but head replacement requires specific service software on a PC connected via the USB port.  Part of the installation of a new head includes registering the head code, which is unique to each head, as well as several other setup steps.

Farmer

That error code wouldn't usually indicate the need to replace the head.  As Mark says, the manual (which is proprietary information and not released publically, meaning you have an illegal copy) isn't designed to be used by untrained people.
Phil Brown

PrinsPhoto

Thanks for your replies....
Ofcourse I did all the other tests after replacing the head like registering the head code, AID test etc. as well as several other setup steps.

So thats not the issue and ofcourse there is always a Epson service line to call! But I've enough experience in engineering to be able to get the job done.
I was just wondering If anybody with more experience could help in solving this little mystery, hust asking for help! :(

The problem is that all the tests are OK but the nozzles are not firing!

tastar

• http://www.tastarsupply.com

I believe that it is really easy to put the ribbon cable that attaches to the head assembly on incorrectly - in a way that will short out the main board. And, if that happens, the printer will go through all of the motions of printing without any ink firing through the print head.

Tony

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Thanks for your replies....
Ofcourse I did all the other tests after replacing the head like registering the head code, AID test etc. as well as several other setup steps.

So thats not the issue and ofcourse there is always a Epson service line to call! But I've enough experience in engineering to be able to get the job done.
I was just wondering If anybody with more experience could help in solving this little mystery, hust asking for help! :(

The problem is that all the tests are OK but the nozzles are not firing!

Yes indeed, you were asking for help and the best advice I could give you I did: if you are not trained specifically on the repair of these printers, call Epson.

PrinsPhoto

I believe that it is really easy to put the ribbon cable that attaches to the head assembly on incorrectly - in a way that will short out the main board. And, if that happens, the printer will go through all of the motions of printing without any ink firing through the print head.

Tony

Hi Tony, Thanks for your reply!
I think it's worth trying to replace the nain board. Hopefully I can post an update with a positive result in a few days time.

Best regards,

Piet

Farmer

If the head is blown and your replace the mainboard, you'll blow it.  If the mainboard is blown and your replace the print head, you'll blow it.  Not a good cycle to get into.  I'd suggest calling a qualified tech.
Phil Brown

ChrisMax

I did a printhead replacement on my 4800 5 years ago and also replaced the dampers.  Then I got cartridges filled with printer cleaning fluid and flushed the entire system.  When I put in the ink cartridges it took a few power cleanings to get the ink back in the lines and flush the printhead cleaning fluid.  It's been running just fine.  As to your ink problem there may be too much air in the lines which has to be removed.  I used a syringe to suck it out and prime the dampers.  Just so you know I'm not a qualified tech for Epson but I now have a fully functioning printer.  A brand new 4900 isn't that much these days especially considering how much that new printhead cost and what you would have to pay an Epson tech to install it.  Just saying

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

The SCP5000 replacement for the 4900 is now filtering into the market, so one wouldn't necessarily replace an old 4900 with another 4900. But before considering the replacement of the printer, I still think it conceivable that if the print head or other components don't need replacement, a few hundred dollars of service could well restore the printer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up