Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Willpower  (Read 2402 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
Willpower
« on: March 02, 2017, 12:03:49 pm »

"Willpower", on the Isle of Skye in Scotland

Thanks for viewing, best

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

thierrylegros396

Re: Willpower
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 12:44:01 pm »

Nice framing.

Thierry

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:45:03 pm »

I like the framing but feel like you've lost too much detail in the shadow areas.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 02:01:24 pm »

I feel the processing expresses very well the idea of grim determination.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 06:03:48 am »

Very good photo. I concur with the opinion that the processing suits the mood.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 01:56:35 pm »

I like the mood and you have positioned yourself well relative to the tree. Maybe slightly more space between the lake and the tree, but only a tiny bit. I know this tree very well :) It's lovely as it sits there on the edge of the cliff. I have had night mares about sliding in the mud and go over the rock edge ;)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 02:29:26 am »

Nice framing.

Thierry

Thank you Thierry! :)

I like the framing but feel like you've lost too much detail in the shadow areas.

Hello Chris, I appreciate your point, but I (obviously) disagree; the mood I was after was a dark one, and besides I think that there is enough shadow detail pretty much everywhere, despite the shadows being dark. Of course, it is a very personal feeling, so there is no right or wrong here :)

I feel the processing expresses very well the idea of grim determination.

Thank you Eric, glad you enjoyed the mood and the processing :)

Very good photo. I concur with the opinion that the processing suits the mood.

Thank you very much Paulo, glad you enjoyed it! :)

I like the mood and you have positioned yourself well relative to the tree. Maybe slightly more space between the lake and the tree, but only a tiny bit. I know this tree very well :) It's lovely as it sits there on the edge of the cliff. I have had night mares about sliding in the mud and go over the rock edge ;)

Thank you Hans! With the lens I had, it was impossible to get more space between the tree and the lake, without... precipitating down the cliff! :D I did all I could to get separation between the tree and the lake, and the amount you see here is the best I could do under the circumstances. I went back a couple of times during my various trips to Skye, but the weather and the mud / water / snow were not good, and I didn't want to risk a fatal fall for one more pic ;)

Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 05:58:44 am »

Very good. The upper side of the shrub seems too dark (involved in the dark, moody filtering or processing  of the sky...)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:49:33 pm by muntanela »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 07:19:00 am »

Thank you Hans! With the lens I had, it was impossible to get more space between the tree and the lake, without... precipitating down the cliff! :D I did all I could to get separation between the tree and the lake, and the amount you see here is the best I could do under the circumstances. I went back a couple of times during my various trips to Skye, but the weather and the mud / water / snow were not good, and I didn't want to risk a fatal fall for one more pic ;)

Best,

Vieri

Thanks Vieri, I'm glad you didn't risk your life. One has to be very careful at that spot ;)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 10:52:03 am »

A dramatic photograph that recreates well a dark mood. I'm troubled, though, by two things:
  • the obvious vignetting - possibly goes unnoticed by non-photographers so, maybe I'm being unfair;
  • the loss of accutance in the upper left branches.

Not deal-breakers, but it would mean, from my perspective, using in a book, but perhaps not a large print.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 05:26:45 am »

Very good. The upper side of the shrub seems too dark (involved in the dark, moody filtering or processing  of the sky...)

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it :) I added some vignette on purpose, but I appreciate that not everyone might like it ;)

Thanks Vieri, I'm glad you didn't risk your life. One has to be very careful at that spot ;)

Indeed - better to live to photograph it another day, as they say :D

A dramatic photograph that recreates well a dark mood. I'm troubled, though, by two things:
  • the obvious vignetting - possibly goes unnoticed by non-photographers so, maybe I'm being unfair;
  • the loss of accutance in the upper left branches.

Not deal-breakers, but it would mean, from my perspective, using in a book, but perhaps not a large print.

Thank you for your comment. I added the vignette, and while I appreciate it that it might be to everyone's taste, I think it adds to the mood; about acutance, the top branches were actually moving because of the wind (as often there), and while it didn't affect the grass (being protected by the edges of the little valley there) it made the top branches a little unsharp. I don't think that it detracts from the mood, on the other hand I wished the whole tree would have been moving (too sturdy for that, I suppose!) and to me it still looks great printed big - but I definitely see your point.

Best,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up