Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 50S -real world experience  (Read 35713 times)

cyron123

Re: Fuji GFX 50S -real world experience
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2017, 10:45:42 am »

Yes now it is better Thank you.

To me the best solution is pull down the Iridient X transformer, and run it on the GFX files, just apply the defaults, then open the dngs in LR.  Or fiddle the the full version of Silkypix Vr8, allows a 30 day trial US version.  Myire software is the distributor.  I doubt the software Fuji is including with the camera is much better than the version they gave with the X-T2 (dumbed down Silkypix).

Paul Caldwell

cyron123

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am »

Hello guys,
i have try out the demo of Irident Transform to DNG. The mosaic is already there. I think it is of the small grid on the flashbox. And this means moire..

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2017, 11:44:14 am »

Hello guys,
i have try out the demo of Irident Transform to DNG. The mosaic is already there. I think it is of the small grid on the flashbox. And this means moire..

Okay, if it is a grid on the Octabox, then the Bayer CFA demosaicing algorithm did the best it could. The false color aliasing can be suppressed, and the detail is actually there. It looks quite good, and the aliasing (due to non-gapless microlenses) seems less than I expected, on this subject anyway.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

cyron123

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 03:45:12 pm »

Hello guys,
On the roadshow the Fuji guy said to me capture one will support the GFX. Only the raw pictures but no tethering.

Only for info. I don't know if this is right. We will see... :-)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 04:12:12 pm »

No C1 support. Fuji has now clarified this.

Sadly it seems that the Fuji rep was mis informed and or did not understand fully P1's policy on not supporting non P1 MF products

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2017, 12:28:54 am »

Hi,

Moiré and MFD go hand in hand. But I would guess the GFX is pretty decent in that regard.

Best regards
Erik

Hello guys,
Erik Kaffehr

fotagf8

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2017, 07:48:01 am »

No C1 support. Fuji has now clarified this.

Sadly it seems that the Fuji rep was mis informed and or did not understand fully P1's policy on not supporting non P1 MF products

Paul Caldwell

Not sure that is so sad.  Apparently, P1 views the camera as competitive with its own cameras.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2017, 07:55:08 am »

Not sure that is so sad.  Apparently, P1 views the camera as competitive with its own cameras.

Fuji used to own the marriage market in Japan, a large volume of domestic sales will lower the launch cost of their system
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2017, 08:03:58 am »

That's too bad, because coming from the DSLR side of things, I was just getting ready to buy their software. There is no way I intend to buy their hardware. Too much money. So I feel they are making a bad business decisions, because many might try their software in this new MF-mirroless window, and perhaps upgrade into their hardware. My belief is that this will harm them, not protect them. Just my two cents.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2017, 10:31:12 am »

I have made this argument before, "what competition"?

The IQ350 or IQ150? with the XF platform.  I can't take anything away from either of these, but I don't see them as "competition" to the X1D or GFX, as both would well over 12K to 20K more expensive.  I have to believe in today's market, price is a primary consideration before anything else.  All systems share the 50MP sensor, and if anything Fuji has pushed the tech of the sensor farther than anyone else, with ES, EFC, and a possibly improved set of micro lenses. 

I have been a P1 user for years, still am, but I was a big believer in CMOS long before many MF users, as the CCD vs CMOS (CCD being so much better) seem to have gone by the way side now that Hasselblad brought the X1D out. 

If P1 does a mirrorless product, it will be months away (I really can't see them bringing out a 50MP mirrorless as it will be a bit old news), and when it does it will odds are still be 2x to 3x the price point. 

So I just don't see them having anything that is real competition to either the X1D or GFX. 

C1 is getting a bit limited anyway for what I do, no pano tools or exposure blending from raw files which is where I prefer to work.  Love the colors and layers and tethering, but I disagree that either of these cameras are "real" competition for P1.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

rvamos

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2017, 11:56:19 am »

Has anyone tried the Hasselblad C mount to Fuji G mount yet?  Does it work with Hasselblad C-mount lenses or only the old Fujinon C mount lenses?

algrove

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2017, 12:35:38 pm »

Has anyone tried the Hasselblad C mount to Fuji G mount yet?  Does it work with Hasselblad C-mount lenses or only the old Fujinon C mount lenses?
Who makes this one? I know Fuji has he GFX to HB HC mount.

rvamos

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2017, 05:00:58 pm »

That's the one I'm referring to - sorry if I was unclear.
Who makes this one? I know Fuji has he GFX to HB HC mount.

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2017, 05:56:12 pm »

Hello guys,

For me, this doesn't look like a grid on the the flash box....
Regards,
Ben

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2017, 08:53:40 pm »

As I am still waiting for the camera, it's been interesting to read some of the reviews.

1.  Digital Lloyd, has apparently a defective camera, stuck in continuous mode.  That has been confirmed now by Fuji.  His testing has been limited, but now he has some observations on this blog.

2.  Imaging Resources, has now posted a side by side of 3 test shots, between the GFX and IQ100, iso 100, 1600, and 6400.  The interesting thing is to look at the ISO 6400 on the Fuji, quite impressive.

One other note to shooters.  It's clear now that Fuji totally mirrored their current AF/MF design with the GFX, so it's fly by wire.  This does have it's drawbacks so I wanted to post a few thoughts.

1. Fuji lenses may or may not have a MF/AF clutch on the lens, many of the primes by Fuji in the X series, (14mm, 16mm for example) have a clutch on the lens barrel.  If you switch between MF/AF here, the lens stays where you left it and you are in MF mode.  If you switch back and forth between shoot and play mode the lens should hold the same focus point and if you turn off the camera, the lens will again hold the same focus point.  This is due to the clutch in the lens.

2.  I can't tell if the lenses for the GFX have a clutch, it appears the 120mm does not.  So you can only go between MF/AF from the camera body.  This can cause some issues.  If you switch to from AF to MF, via the camera body, odds are you will get a focus check in the EVF (again I assume this is just like the X series).  This is because the focus is focus by wire, and just by switching from AF to MF, you can slightly change the focus.  So you need to hit either focus check or zoom in and double check your focus.  Also if you are in AF and switch from shoot to play to check your images, again odds are your focus point will have shifted just a bit and you will need to refocus.  Again if your lens has a clutch to go from MF to AF, you can switch back and forth from shoot mode to play mode with no problems.

3.  Turning off the camera will reset your focus, even if you are in MF mode with the X series camera, and again it's safe to assume the GFX will work the same way.  So remember after turning on the camera in MF mode either this focus check or manually focus by zooming in.

I have seen a few references to the "lens modulation optimizer".  This is option to help remove effects of diffraction, however the GFX manual does not imply if it applies to raw files.  In the X series camera LMO only applied to in camera jpgs.  As the GFX can convert in camera to both jpg and tif, I assume that LMO applies to these files when selected.  However it's not clear if it applies to raw files.  Also a raw converter would have to understand the LMO settings and apply them during the conversion, something that has not been done to the APS-C X-trans files.

These are issues that are known and common to any x series shooter but if you are not aware of how the Fuji Focus by wire works, you can end up getting frustrated quickly IMO.   Focus Check is covered on page 102 of the GFX US users manual.

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:11:45 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

cyron123

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2017, 01:05:22 am »

Hello Paul,
Yes I could confirm the 120mm and the zoom has no clutch. Only switching at the camera or a small switch at the lens like Nikon.
I have talked to the Fuji rep and you could override the focus by the hand wheel. And the wheel does not rotate if you  focusing...not like some phase one lenses..

The focus motor is not a geared motor like older lenses.  It is driven by a linear motor like ultrasonic on canon ..Nikon?

The zoom is silent. The 120mm I can not say because it was too loud on the roadshow..

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2017, 01:26:58 am »

I have seen a few references to the "lens modulation optimizer".  This is option to help remove effects of diffraction, however the GFX manual does not imply if it applies to raw files.  In the X series camera LMO only applied to in camera jpgs.  As the GFX can convert in camera to both jpg and tif, I assume that LMO applies to these files when selected.  However it's not clear if it applies to raw files.  Also a raw converter would have to understand the LMO settings and apply them during the conversion, something that has not been done to the APS-C X-trans files.

Lens profiles seem to be baked in RAW files, I'm not sure if this is the default behavior or not but this is how Lightroom can perform lens corrections without the need for lens profiles in the application itself. LMO, per Fuji official documentation, seems to deal with diffraction and corner sharpness on JPEG files.
Instagram (updated often)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2017, 02:31:20 pm »

As it Turns Out, No GFX for Me

I am sorry to report that after examining the Fuji GFX 50s system in some detail, for my work mind you, it is not quite ready for prime time. I am sure many will be happy to have it, but for the particular type of close-up work I do, it just does not quite make it. I can mention a few things, but keep in mind most of these are probably particular to me.

Although it was not that important to me, the GFX is boxy and unattractive physically. I could not have cared less, as long as it was a workhorse for the particular kind of photo work I do. Sadly, I remain unimpressed by the GFX as a workhorse, and this after putting it through its paces as to what most concerns me.

The two lenses that I purchased with it (63mm and 120mm) did not cut the mustard. The 63mm lens simply is not what I was led to expect in Fuji lenses. There was nothing I could find to recommend it, and I would have returned it if I had kept the system.

The 120mm Macro is a different story. It actually is sharp and generally OK. However it is big as all get-out and extends so far out (with its hood) from the body of the GFX that in magnified mode I picked up vibrations of the tiniest floor movement in the studio. That and the fact that its widest aperture is f/4 made it not something I would actually find myself using. And the results did not compare to many of the lenses I have for FF, like the Zeiss Otus series, and others. I had hoped it would sweep me off my feet, but here I stand.

After that, I told myself that the GFX is the least expensive 50 Mpx digital back on the market, and I have dozens of lenses (non-Fuji) that I am waiting to use on the camera. And so I did. I found out, for instance that all of the Zeiss Otus APO lenses (plus the 135mm APO Zeiss) all work well on the GFX. No vignetting, aside from the Otus 28mm, which has a slight corner darkening, but still (for my interests) very usable. That was all good, but there was bad news after that.

While your use may vary, I soon found out that mounting these non-Fuji lenses on the Fotodiox Nikon adapter (which does both “G” and older F-mount lenses) worked, but a price was paid for doing so in terms of IQ. Wanting to keep the GFX, I did my best to give the GFX the benefit of the doubt with these alternative lenses, but common sense overtook me and instead I began to doubt the benefit of doing all this. And hanging heavy glass off the end of the GFX led me to go looking around the studio for some rails I have to support the larger lenses.

And lastly, and perhaps most important for me was that (at least I found) in post-processing the raw files (using ACR) did not have the bandwidth I am used to in the Nikon D810. In particular the blacks, which on the Nikon D810 seem to stretch out forever, on the GFX were there and blown in a flash. What is this? It is almost like their files are not true raw. Perhaps they are some pre-processed form of raw, and I will await the techsperts to tell me what is happening there. As for me, I REALLY didn’t like it. If there is one thing that sealed the deal for returning the system, that was it. I need raw files with at least as much bandwidth as the Nikon raw files.

I had no trouble using the menus, and while the EVF (and LiveView) screens were not totally as nice as I had imagined, they were nicer than the ones on my Nikon D810. Still, when they get dark and grainy, they get dark and grainy. After waiting seven months for the X1D and since January for the GFX, I was loathe not to have a MF mirrorless camera, but as it turns out, I don’t have one.

Again, don’t mind me. I have a very narrow range of what I appear to need to be happy with photo gear. I wouldn’t even bother to post this report, except that I made so much noise about the advent of the GFX, that I feel I owe a report to someone, if only to myself. So, there we have it.

I will wait for the MF scene to continue to develop and perhaps Nikon might actually come across with a 50 Mpx D820 and I would be happy with that. Certainly the Nikon D810 is the finest (all around) camera I have ever used and I will continue to use it. I might even purchase a second copy!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:12:28 pm by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2017, 02:59:43 pm »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards
Erik

As it Turns Out, No GFX for Me

I am sorry to report that after examining the Fuji GFX 50s system in some detail, for my work mind you, it is not quite ready for prime time. I am sure many will be happy to have it, but for the particular type of close-up work I do, it just does not quite make it. I can mention a few things, but keep in mind most of these are probably particular to me.

Although it was not that important to me, the GFX is boxy and unattractive physically. I could not have cared less, as long as it was a workhorse for the particular kind of photo work I do. Sadly, I remain unimpressed by the GFX as my workhorse after putting it through its paces as to what most concerns me.

The two lenses that I purchased with it (63mm and 120mm) did not cut the mustard. The 63mm lens simply is not what I was led to expect in Fuji lenses. There was nothing I could find to recommend it, and I would have returned it if I had kept the system.

The 120mm Macro is a different story. It actually is sharp and generally OK. However it is big as all get-out and extends so far out (with its hood) from the body of the GFX that in magnified mode I picked up vibrations of the tiniest floor movement in the studio. That and the fact that its widest aperture is f/4 made it not something I would actually find myself using. And the results did not compare to many of the lenses I have for FF, like the Zeiss Otus series, and others. I had hoped it would sweep me off my feet, but here I stand.

After that, I told myself that the GFX is the least expensive digital 50 Mpx digital back on the market, and I have dozens of lenses (non-Fuji) that I am waiting to use on the camera. And so I did. I found out, for instance that all of the Zeiss Otus APO lenses (plus the 135mm APO Zeiss) all work well on the GFX. No vignetting, aside from the Otus 28mm, which has a slight corner darkening, but still (for my interests) very usable. That was all good, but there was bad news after that.

While your use may vary, I soon found out that mounting these non-Fuji lenses on the Fotodiox Nikon adapter (which does both “G” and older F-mount lenses) worked, but a price was paid for doing so in terms of IQ. Wanting to keep the GFX, I did my best to give the GFX the benefit of the doubt with these alternative lenses, but common sense overtook me and instead I began to doubt the benefit of doing all this. And hanging heavy glass off the end of the GFX led me to go looking for some rails to support the larger lenses.

And lastly, and perhaps most important for me was that (at least I found) in post-processing the raw files (using ACR) did not have the bandwidth I am used to in the Nikon D810. In particular the blacks, which on the Nikon D810 seem to stretch out forever, on the GFX were there and blown in a flash. What is this? It is almost like there files are not true raw. Perhaps they are some pre-processed form of raw, and I will await the techsperts to tell me what is happening there. As for me, I really didn’t like it. If there is one thing that sealed the deal for returning the system, that was it. I need raw files with at least as much bandwidth as the Nikon raw files.

I had no trouble using the menus, and while the EVF (and LiveView) screens were not totally as nice as I had imagined, they were nicer than the ones on my Nikon D810. Still, when they get dark and grainy, they get dark and grainy. After waiting seven months for the X1D and since January for the GFX, I was loathe not to have a MF mirrorless camera, but as it turns out, I don’t have one.

Again, don’t mind me. I have a very narrow range of what I appear to need to be happy with photo gear. I wouldn’t even bother to post this report, except that I made so much noise about the advent of the GFX, that I feel I owe a report to someone, if only to myself. So, there you have it.

I will wait for the MF scene to continue to develop and perhaps Nikon might actually come across with a 50 Mpx D820 and I would be happy with that. Certainly the Nikon D810 is the finest (all around) camera I have ever used and I will continue to use it. I might even purchase a second copy!
Erik Kaffehr

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2017, 03:21:57 pm »

Interesting comments so far on the GFX.  I am waiting for our review unit to arrive.  Hopefully next week.  If it does arrive I'll take it with me to Iceland for 2 weeks and see how it does in the field.  I do believe the medium format market is just beginning to take hold.  Based on what I hear the GFX is selling very well and has a lot of content customers.  You can count on Fuji to improve the system over time with new lenses as well as firmware.  There still is a lot of talk about a large MP solution coming from Sony.  I have pretty good inside connections and I think we will see something interesting from Sony.  They have been real quite of late.  I'll keep you posted on what I learn along the way.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up