Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 50S -real world experience  (Read 35717 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
Re: Fuji GFX 50S -real world experience
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 06:22:57 am »

On the H6d-100c is takes less than 1 sec to enter live view and around 0.5 sec to zoom to 100% anywhere in the scene after a double tap on touch screen.

The quality of live view at 100% is higher than on the D810 and more than suitable to allow perfect focusing even in low levels of light.

Cheers,
Bernard

+1 - I have both and totally concur.
David Watson ARPS

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2017, 06:25:05 am »

I am VERY sorry to report that Diglloyd (Lloyd Chambers), who has received a Fuji GFX, has almost nothing good to say about it, so far. In fact, this may be the most disparaging initial review of a camera I have ever seen him offer.

Since I will receive the camera in a few days, I will see for myself, but it definitely throws a cast on my happy expectations. You can read some of his comments here:

https://diglloyd.com/

If you want to read chapter and verse, as I did, you would have to subscribe to his Medium Format column, which for me is more than worth it. If his comments bear out, I may return the whole system or immediately sell it and retire from the wanting-a-medium-format-camera syndrome... for a while.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:44:21 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

marc aurel

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 07:12:12 am »

I am VERY sorry to report that Diglloyd (Lloyd Chambers), who has received a Fuji GFX, has almost nothing good to say about it, so far. In fact, this may be the most disparaging initial review of a camera I have ever seen him offer.

Since I will receive the camera in a few days, I will see for myself, but it definitely throws a cast on my happy expectations. You can read some of his comments here:

https://diglloyd.com/

If you want to read chapter and verse, as I did, you would have to subscribe to his Medium Format column, which for me is more than worth it. If his comments bear out, I may return the whole system or immediately sell it and retire from the wanting-a-medium-format-camera syndrome... for a while.

I am not a subscriber of Lloyd Chambers page. But I read his blog from time to time, and I have read his first comments on the GFX. His problem with not being able to get out of "continous shooting mode" - to me it sounds a bit like one of the bracketing modes was turned on (just an idea).
My general feeling is that he often does look into things very intense, I like that. But very often the comments he publishes on the blog are a bit impulsive - very much on the bright or very much on the disappointed side. Rarely in between. Before he had the GFX he wrote: "no one looking for maximum image quality and able to afford things like Zeiss Otus or Leica SL would be in their right mind to choose a 35mm DSLR or a Leica SL or whatever—it makes no sense in this new context. The Fujifilm GFX is not just rocking the boat, the boat has flipped over."

I had the GFX for about 18 hours and I did not experience anything like what he describes in his blog. Yes - that camera is very customizable, and that has the disadvantage that you can accidentally change settings by using a function button (and there are lots of it - even the command dials offer seperate functions when you press them). But that is nothing that I could not learn to use in a short time. Having a simple interface and having a customizable camera for a lot of situations without diving deep into menus are goals that point into different directions. Of course it is a question of how clever things are laid out to have a good compromise. We will see how other users comment on how good Fuji has done this. My impression was quite positive.

Best regards - Marc
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:17:53 am by marc aurel »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 07:19:29 am »

We will see how other users comment on how good Fuji has done this. My impression was quite positive.

Best regards - Marc

Glad to hear it. I remain hopeful, but I have found over the years that I can depend on Chamber's comments; at least they usually coincide with my own.

My interest in the GFX is so specific, that I may be able to get from it what I need. I seldom use autofocus and almost always use base ISO, etc. I should be able to setup the camera for what I need and not bother with much else. This is not a "walk-around" camera for me, but rather a tripod-based workhorse for stacking and doing nature and landscape photography. And I need to be able to field my many Nikon F-mount lenses with the GFX. As they say: we shall see.... and pretty soon. Otherwise, I will just sell it and move on.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

jrp

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 07:39:18 am »

Being accident-prone seems to be part of his business model.  He does, occasionally, find real bugs or limitations, but they are not often ones that affect real world shooting.

That said, it's early days for these 50Mpx cameras.  Fuji has the resources and a track record for fixing things, but I'd wait for some longer-term use experience reports, before diving in.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 07:46:24 am »

Being accident-prone seems to be part of his business model.  He does, occasionally, find real bugs or limitations, but they are not often ones that affect real world shooting.

That said, it's early days for these 50Mpx cameras.  Fuji has the resources and a track record for fixing things, but I'd wait for some longer-term use experience reports, before diving in.

I have already dove in and have to vet the camera and keep it, return it, or sell it... in fairly short order here. I can do that. If the IQ is there, I can put up with a lot.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:53:37 am by Michael Erlewine »

cyron123

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 08:03:48 am »

Hello Guys,
i could shoot with the GFX on the Fujifilm roadshow in germany. The whole systeme is very light for mid format and even DSLR like D810. But it does not fell cheap. Here  is a photo from this. First is a overview, second is 100% ..

Colors could be not so good. Pictures are from RAW Therapee "Out of Cam".. With 120mm Lens.. f/4.5..ISO100

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 08:12:24 am »

Thank goodness, Digital Lloyd does not like the camera, that means it will be a keeper for sure.  I have never seen anything from him showing he preferred the Fuji Brand and has never had much positive things to say about them.  His concern of x-trans and artifacts is well known.  I agree x-trans is has it's issues, but if you are willing to work with alternatives then the issues are mostly irrelevant.  If are familiar with a Fuji X series camera the learning curve appears to be minimal on the GFX. 

More positive and knowledge reviews over on Imaging Resource, which interestingly has the exactly opposite opinion.

Go figure.

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:17:49 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

vjbelle

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 08:50:18 am »

Thank goodness, Digital Lloyd does not like the camera, that means it will be a keeper for sure.  I have never seen anything from him showing he preferred the Fuji Brand and has never had much positive things to say about them.  His concern of x-trans and artifacts is well known.  I agree x-trans is has it's issues, but if you are willing to work with alternatives then the issues are mostly irrelevant.  If are familiar with a Fuji X series camera the learning curve appears to be minimal on the GFX. 

More positive and knowledge reviews over on Imaging Resource, which interestingly has the exactly opposite opinion.

Go figure.

Paul Caldwell

+1

iammikie

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 09:13:17 am »

I have had the GFX with the 32-64 lens for a few days now and have no issues with it whatsoever; so far I am loving it. Also, Iridient Developer Beta 3 is doing a good job of processing raw files. Having the X series of Fuji bodies made it a no brainier to use this camera and I haven't cracked the books yet. I hope to read the Manual when I have time.

Aravind

• http://www.akimagery.com
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 09:35:55 am »

Over the years there are three things I have learned about Llloyd:

1.  He has a type of photography he does and a way he does it and his reviews and evaluations are heavily colored by this.  His evaluations have a lack of empathy for other types of photography, photographic subjects or photographic workflows.

2.  He has a flair for the dramatic and as another posted pointed out he seems bimodal in his views, its either utter garbage or the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Some seem to think he does this to drive subscriptions to his site.

3.  He has got to be about the unluckiest person I've heard of in terms of getting gear with severe issues.

In general, these days I don't trust/value any online reviewers, opting to try stuff myself and make my own conclusions. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 09:36:58 am »

Hello Guys,
i could shoot with the GFX on the Fujifilm roadshow in germany. The whole systeme is very light for mid format and even DSLR like D810. But it does not fell cheap. Here  is a photo from this. First is a overview, second is 100% ..

Colors could be not so good. Pictures are from RAW Therapee "Out of Cam".. With 120mm Lens.. f/4.5..ISO100

Hi,

The colors are indeed not there yet in this conversion, but that's something that can be solved. However, I'm looking at the slight 'mazing artifacts' in the eye's pupil area. Did you use the AMaZE algorithm for demosaicing?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:30 am »

My initial reaction to the camera is that the image quality is excellent but I do find the menu a little confusing.  I have not shot Fuji before so I'm unfamiliar with their menu system.  As mentioned previously, those that own a Fuji will likely find it easy to operate.  I now have it set up so I don't have to mess with all the menu options.  It took me a couple of hours to get comfortable with it.  I now know about 90% of what I need to know so I'm sure after a couple of weeks of shooting I will get there.  I don't view that as unreasonable investment in time to learn a new camera system.  The user interface is certainly less well designed than the XF100.  Regarding the lenses, I found all 3 lenses easy to operate and more than meet my expectations in image quality.  I have to admit when I shot with the 120mm, I thought something was wrong with the lens but found out that when the lens is mounted on the camera the loose "element" sound went away.  "A roll of quarters rattling around in a tin can" is an extreme exaggeration. You do get a light thud sound when you rock an unmounted lens back and forth. The lens functioned perfectly and was very sharp.  Overall, I do think the ergonomics of the system are not that great but I'm now comfortable with it and very happy with the quality of the files so far.  At the end of the day I care most about image quality, company commitment to the product line and reliability/durability.  Over time we will find out about reliability/durability.  Currently my expectations have been met and I'm happy with camera.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 09:54:16 am »

I have to admit when I shot with the 120mm, I thought something was wrong with the lens but found out that when the lens is mounted on the camera the loose "element" sound went away.  "A roll of quarters rattling around in a tin can" is an extreme exaggeration. You do get a light thud sound when you rock an unmounted lens back and forth. The lens functioned perfectly and was very sharp.

The 120mm has optical stabilization, what you heard is the floating element inside it. :)
Instagram (updated often)

cyron123

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 09:55:12 am »

Hi,

The colors are indeed not there yet in this conversion, but that's something that can be solved. However, I'm looking at the slight 'mazing artifacts' in the eye's pupil area. Did you use the AMaZE algorithm for demosaicing?

Cheers,
Bart
Hi Bart,
There was a grid on the octabox flash. You could see this mosaic in the JPEG and raw converted files.

I am not really familiar with raw therapee. I use this only if the GFX files. I will give irident a try and look if the mosaic are already there...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 09:58:27 am »

Hi Cam,

Good point on the 120mm.  Many of the OIS lenses will have a element that appears to move when the lens is powered off.  I have both the 50-140 and 100-400 and the 50-140 has the same issue.  Also if the GFX glass is like all the other X OIS, most will make a slight noise when the lens is on the camera and the camera on, even with OIS off.  The 50-140 I have is by far the loudest in this regard.  Outdoors you will not hear it, but indoors for sure.  I have tried a couple of other 50-140 lenses from other photographers, and they all make a bit of noise, but not as loud as mine.  Mine was early in the life.  As the 120mm is only lens with OIS, if you hear a rattle in the 63 or 32-64, something may be wrong.

One note, Fuji will continue to add features functions both via firmware (so existing cameras can take advantage of them) and physical changes.  A classic example of this is the 4 way button on the X-T1.  Early cameras you really had to push hard to make the buttons engage, and there was a lot written on ways to add material to the buttons.  Later cameras Fuji fixed this with a different version of the 4 way that had a much more tactical feel.   The X-T2 had the better style buttons from the 1st ship.

But Kudo's to Fuji for all the extras that they passed on to the X-T1 in the 1st year with firmware, like ES and improved video. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

cyron123

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2017, 09:59:57 am »

..... away.  "A roll of quarters rattling around in a tin can" is an extreme exaggeration. You do get a light thud sound when you rock an unmounted lens back and forth.....

I had the same with some lenses with the small x system of Fuji. Sounds strange but this is normal to some lenses. The inner focus lens is not fixed and could move without energy from the body.
I have opened a call at the Fuji support and the said this...

cyron123

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2017, 10:09:43 am »

Oh Sorry double answer... :-)

RobertJ

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2017, 10:33:07 am »

Lloyd Chambers... the only reviewer on the entire Internet who managed to screw up his Fuji GFX.

cyron123, it looks like you didn't apply a Color/Bundled Profile in Raw Therapee.  At the top, you can choose Bundled Profiles/Generic/Natural 1/Natural 2/Punchy 1/Punchy 2, etc to get an actual "look" to the image.  Or maybe I'm wrong?

You can also take a profile from Adobe Camera Raw (DCP files from any camera) and apply it via Color management/Custom, and then check the Tone Curve and Look Table boxes.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2017, 10:39:13 am »

To me the best solution is pull down the Iridient X transformer, and run it on the GFX files, just apply the defaults, then open the dngs in LR.  Or fiddle the the full version of Silkypix Vr8, allows a 30 day trial US version.  Myire software is the distributor.  I doubt the software Fuji is including with the camera is much better than the version they gave with the X-T2 (dumbed down Silkypix).

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up