Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newfoundland photo locations  (Read 2034 times)

hogloff

Newfoundland photo locations
« on: March 01, 2017, 01:18:19 pm »

I'm heading to Newfoundland for two weeks this September. I like to rent out a house and do daily shoots from the house. My first week will be in the St John's area, but I have no set plans for my 2nd week. I like to shoot sunrises along the coast as well as quaint villages and their people. Love to hear suggestions around St John's for the 1st week and what other area I can setup for the 2nd week.

framah

Re: Newfoundland photo locations
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:48:01 pm »

Check out Twillingate. It is on my bucket list.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Mjean

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 11:49:29 am »

I have been to Newfoundland a number of times and it is really quite beautiful.  The first time I drove across the island, from St. John's to Gros Morne National Park and I was blown away by the beauty of Newfoundland, but it is a very long trip and most of the time is spent in the car.  Upon subsequent return visits I stayed mostly around the Bonavista area.  There are a few very small towns there that are interesting to shoot.  Trinity, Port Rexton,  Champney East and West, Elliston - mostly you can just take the side roads wherever there is the name of a town and drive into it. Bonavista itself is very interesting and there are lots of photographic opportunities along the way.  The Dungeons National Park is beautiful to shoot, the lighthouse at Bonavista is also a great area to shoot.  All you have to do is drive around the peninsula and the photographic opportunities will present themselves.  There are no crowds and often times you are the only person in the area shooting.  You could stay in Trinity and do daily drives throughout that whole area, from Trinity to Bonavista for example,  it is only a 40minute drive, or you can stay in the Bonavista area and work your way backwards to the Trinity area.  There are many little areas along the way to take photos of - you just have to take the side roads, impossible to get lost.  If you enjoy hiking there are a number of fantastic hikes, the main one is the Skerwink Trail which is possibly one of the most beautiful hikes that I have taken.  There is also the Fox Island Hike, which is shorter but equally beautiful.  They are both mostly coastal hikes and you may find that you are the only person on the trails!  Hope this helps.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:13:36 am »

Cape Spear lighthouse in St.John's is one of the most iconic locations for sunrise. It's also the easternmost point in North America.
Petty Harbour is just a short drive south from St. John's and also great for the sunrise photos. Another nice location for sunrise in Avalon and not too far from St. John's is Witless Bay from where you can also take a boat ride to photograph whales and puffins. Actually, there are a number of suitable sunrise locations along the eastern coast, you could drive every morning to another point. And in September, there are plenty of blueberries everywhere to enjoy after you get your shot.

Twillingate lighthouse is a good spot for sunset. There is an observation platform beside the lighthouse with an excellent view towards the west. On my last visit there, also in September, as I finished photographing the sunset sky and turned around I noticed a full moon rising over the lighthouse which was an unexpected bonus.

hogloff

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 05:29:34 pm »

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to highlight them on a map and figure out the best locations to call home base. I want to be max 1 hour drive to a photo shoot. My wife has Parkinson's and I need to assist her so can't be gone too long.
Pages: [1]   Go Up