Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem processing a TIFF using a process recipe  (Read 2214 times)

bcf

Problem processing a TIFF using a process recipe
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:39:25 am »

I am having problems exporting TIFF files to JPEG.

The problem only manifests itself with TIFF files that have been created by Capture One (in my case, raw Fuji .RAF files processed into 16-bit TIFF files using a process recipe), then modified in Photoshop (2 TIFF files combined as layers to make a composite image, then flattened), and finally reimported into the original Capture One catalog.

In this case, when I try to process these files into a JPEG using a process recipe, nothing happens.

However:
- The process recipe works perfectly well with .RAF files, or with TIFF files created by Capture One but not modified by Photoshop.
- When I use "Export as" instead of "Process", with the same settings and destination as in the process recipe, everything works at it should.

I have submitted the case to Phase One, they could not reproduce it, and they keep telling me that Photoshop must be doing something to the files, and that Capture One does not do any change to the raw file (which has nothing to do with the issue). Frankly, for 2 weeks they have turned around the issue and chosen to evade it.

In addition, there have been other similar reports in Phase One's own forum. Clearly, something is amiss in Capture One's handling of TIFF files.

Capture One 10.0.2 (I tried killing preferences etc., to no avail)
Photoshop CC 2017
Mac OS X 10.11.6
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Problem processing a TIFF using a process recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:49:20 am »

I am having problems exporting TIFF files to JPEG.

The problem only manifests itself with TIFF files that have been created by Capture One (in my case, raw Fuji .RAF files processed into 16-bit TIFF files using a process recipe), then modified in Photoshop (2 TIFF files combined as layers to make a composite image, then flattened), and finally reimported into the original Capture One catalog.

Hi,

After flattening the file's layers, what settings did you try when saving the resulting TIFF?
When in doubt, I always try uncompressed first, before attempting compressed versions.
Also make sure you don't have left over Alpha layers, because that sometimes confuses other applications.

But when a TIFF opens in Capture One, I too would expect it to be exportable with a Process Recipe, so it's a bit of a mystery for which I have no real explanation.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bcf

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:29:34 am »

Thanks Bart.

The TIFF file was uncompressed, flattened, without left over Alpha layers, 16 bits, ProPho RGB profile.
It was reimported in Capture One just fine, is visible in the catalog, can be edited. But no process recipe works on this file, the very same recipes that work on raw files or on TIFF files created by Capture One but not modified in Photoshop.

And strangely, "Export" works, process recipes don't.

I tried everything I could think of, to no avail.
-- Bernard, Lyon, France

bcf

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 05:13:34 pm »

Well I solved the problem, sort of, by reinstalling Capture One from scratch. After deleting the application, its application support folder, the preference file, then reinstalling it, the problem was gone, process recipes worked on the files for which they did not work previously.

But what is strange is that when I put the application support and preferences files back… process recipes still worked.

And then the next day: it did not work anymore. And it was solved again by reinstalling Capture One, then putting back the application support and preferences files.

Very strange…
-- Bernard, Lyon, France
Pages: [1]   Go Up