Re: Medusa
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 04:07:32 pm »

Cool, very cool.
Glad to be an amateur

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:42:16 pm »

Great shot, Slobodan. To say it's weird is to understate the case. How long was that first exposure?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 04:49:42 pm »

Very wild!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 05:01:48 pm »

...How long was that first exposure?

1/125s, f/4, ISO 16,000. 67mm of the 24-105/4 Canon.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:08:41 pm »

Another moment:

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 02:15:32 pm »

Great stuff, Slobodan!

Rob

Harald L

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 02:18:32 pm »

Like all of them but in particular the third one. Perhaps because of the mirror in the background.

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 02:31:11 pm »

Very nice, very nice indeed, they could probably use that for their album cover.

Were the band any good and did you enjoy it and have you any more details so I can look them up?

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 02:56:49 pm »

... Were the band any good and did you enjoy it and have you any more details so I can look them up?

The band's name is The Devil's Cut (not to be confused with Jim Beam's Devil's Cut 90 proof bourbon, though - although I think I know which one I would prefer ;) ). I believe they belong to the so-called indie rock category, with a very local presence.

I can occasionally and for brief periods of time withstand that type of music, i.e., headbanging, angry screaming, heavy metal rock. But spending five hours, as I did, I am afraid is going to leave permanent consequences on my hearing (or at least provide me with a convenient excuse for the age-related hearing loss ;) ) I also needed to be quite close to the stage, in order to take photos, which would put me right in front of the speakers. I swear that I would occasionally lose a sense of balance, as the loud music that close was playing havoc with my inner ear balance centers. Why five hours? Well, a bartender at a different local bar told me his band is going to play there 9-12, so I thought I'd go around 9pm, take a few pics, and be back home for some Netflix binge-watching and still make it for my usual bed time. Turns out, there were four bands, and my friend's one was the last, so I made it home around 3am.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 03:03:27 pm »

Then again, if Rob was there, I think I know in which direction he would turn his camera to ;)

John R

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »

Really fine Slobodan. I didn't ISO 1600 could produce anything that good. But the first is definitely different and wild and moody.

JR

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 03:49:34 pm »

...I didn't ISO 1600 could produce anything that good...

I wish it was ISO 1600... it was ISO 16,000 :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 04:14:30 pm »

Thanks for the link Slobodan and after skimming through their latest album from your link, my sympathies go out to your damaged inner ear - have you thought of using those insert ear protectors? I once went to see Iron Maiden amongst many others, not that I was into them or anything, but my brother used to work for the venue and kept giving me freebies for the main high cost seating, so I couldn't turn him down could I, but anyway, off we toddled to see Iron Maiden and my brother came to where we were sat just before they came on stage and gave us both these soft insert ear protectors. I looked at him gone out, as I am into loud music, just not the Iron Maiden type, but he warned me that they were not your usual deafening loud rock band, but they were a ridiculously ear bleeding deafening loud rock band, so I popped them in and was so glad that I did.

I had the best seats for AC/DC, Rolling Stones (they were around £300 per ticket at the time), Nazareth, UFO and many, many of others, because this particular venue always held seats back for companies bigwigs or for the hockey team or whoever the dignitaries of the time were expected to be there on a junket and if they cancelled or had no intention of turning up, and as the band members don't like to see empty seats near to the stage as they think they are losing it or something, so I would get a call with perhaps around 24 hours notice and just turn up for a freebie in the best seats.

So I can say with some authority, that there really isn't any bands these days that have that raw energy and talent that they used to have and it all seems to have gone a bit flat, boring, samey and commercial.

If you want to have a good rock out in your man cave, then get some Rory Gallagher playing through your stereo at high volume. I have bought everything this man ever did and this is as good an example as any - go here if you want to spend less than 6 pounds for over two and a half hours of this brilliant guitarist, the best I have ever seen. I first saw Rory Gallagher at the Bardney Great Western Rock Festival way back in 1972. Joe Cocker was the last day headline act, but he was that full of smack when he came on stage, all he did was stagger around and throw up over the microphone - ah those were the days...

Sorry Slobodan, not trying to pinch your thread, I'll stop now.

Dave

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 04:58:35 pm »

Then again, if Rob was there, I think I know in which direction he would turn his camera to ;)

Glad you don't think of waiting for me to turn up!

As you know, I shot a band a few times over here; not a great experience: they weren't in the least visually exciting, though the music was okay. It went south with one of them when, after telling them all that I would give them files for specific uses, and NOT to try to copy off the website, I went to a bar and found one of my pix hanging on the wall, terribly badly printed and not even framed nicely!

I stopped shooting them. In fact, I soon stopped going to their gigs. But I did remain frindly with the Cuban tenor player; a nice guy about my age, with a lot of info about Cuba, were I but able to go there. He knew the studio of three guys, I think he told me, who did the famous Che shot. In fact, he disputes that the name Korda is the guy's name and that it is really the studio's trading name. More fake foto news - nuttin' noo, then.

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 05:14:43 pm »

SORRY ABOUT YOUR HEARING LOSS, SLOBODAN. (I'll stop shouting now, and hope you can still hear me.)

Welcome to the club of us whose hearing would be better now if we hadn't done something stupid earlier in life. When my hearing started going, Rock music was just beginning and wasn't very loud either. So instead of going to a concer I had to climb a bell tower and sit beside the biggest bell while it tolled 11 am.

Do the Devil's Cut use a wind machine as a regular part of their kit?

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 05:25:46 pm »

SORRY ABOUT YOUR HEARING LOSS, SLOBODAN. (I'll stop shouting now, and hope you can still hear me.)

Welcome to the club of us whose hearing would be better now if we hadn't done something stupid earlier in life. When my hearing started going, Rock music was just beginning and wasn't very loud either. So instead of going to a concer I had to climb a bell tower and sit beside the biggest bell while it tolled 11 am.

Do the Devil's Cut use a wind machine as a regular part of their kit?

-Eric

I blame jazz. I used to go to a local club where they had Chris Barber, The Viking Jazz Band and other 50s luminaries come play. It was the Whitecrags Tennis Club; they had a sort of large hut - as I remember it - that used to bounce to the vibrations. Standing with a little Vito B and a tiny grey Braun flash, right in front of a trumpet and/or slide trombone was actually painful. Not just loud, but sore. saw Ottilie Patterson there - fantastic voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5bGpbDcXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAjsXvLNNfY

But you know what, it was great!

Rob
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:29:38 pm by Rob C »

BobDavid

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 03:40:38 pm »

Those are great. I'd like to see a diptych: during and after.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up