Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on shipping prints flat?  (Read 3294 times)

disneytoy

Advice on shipping prints flat?
« on: February 26, 2017, 02:37:50 pm »

Hello!

I mostly do larger size prints and ship rolled in a tube. For a customer I'm printing in the 18x18" size wants them shipped flat. I have made multi layer foam core and cardboard packaging in the past. These will ship USPS Priority about 100 miles. I'm concerned the large flat package can be damaged. Poked or bent.

Any suggestions. PS. These customers don't like to pay extra for shipping. And I do the want to have the cost of reprinting a damaged print.

Thanks

Max

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Advice on shipping prints flat?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 03:13:44 pm »

I use 1/4" Luan plywood, $10 a sheet. Cut to a size several inches larger then your prints.
Package the prints in plastic sleeves then a layer of the thin foam from a roll.
Finally your 2 outer layers of Luan and tape with packing tape.
Just wrap that package in packing paper and slap on the label.
One more thing if I may, "CHARGE" them.
You are not a big box retailer and cannot eat something that takes just as much time and effort as the prints themselves.
I charge $5 plus the material costs plus the actual shipping costs. If someone complains and they rarely if ever do. Offer picked up free of charge.
They always pay. I would not touch a project if someone insisted they would not pay for shipping and the associated costs.

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 03:37:06 pm »

Thanks Dan!

Recently, the postal rate went up. A customer from last summer who ordered a 24x36" print complained that the shipping went from $5.50 (last time) to $7.00 This time. The actual postage was $6.95. I do spend more time packing and shipping than actually printing:-).

Max

hogloff

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:20:48 pm »

Thanks Dan!

Recently, the postal rate went up. A customer from last summer who ordered a 24x36" print complained that the shipping went from $5.50 (last time) to $7.00 This time. The actual postage was $6.95. I do spend more time packing and shipping than actually printing:-).

Max

Packaging and shipping costs should be built into the cost of the print. Me with my consumer hat on would rather just see the full cost of the print rather than one price plus a bunch of add on costs for shipping and handling like you get with the infomercials.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:20:23 am »

Packaging and shipping costs should be built into the cost of the print. Me with my consumer hat on would rather just see the full cost of the print rather than one price plus a bunch of add on costs for shipping and handling like you get with the infomercials.

I would strongly disagree. Shipping costs vary, and the cost per print varies dramatically with the number of prints. Hidden extras are one thing, but you can hardly call shipping "hidden".

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:59:31 am »

Thanks Dan!

Max

Yes, printing on demand becomes way less attractive if one small print also has to be shipped. The more square meters and additional work per order is worth a reduction in price per square meter. P&P is always a separate cost on the invoice.

For shipping flat I use heavy corrugated carton pallet sheets (pads?) about 3.3x4 feet. Actually reused ones with an embossing of the round cans they carried before. Cut two lengthwise on the print width and length + 2" and glue them to a cross with simple wood glue + a weight on top. An extra sheet is cut to the print size + 2". Prints are packed in paper and that taped in the center of the cross. The extra sheet on the prints and the cross folded to a package.  With the corrugation running in two directions the total becomes rigid. 2 Euro in packaging material, about 15 minutes work. 7 to 10 Euro for the postal service, depending on size and speed. Extra carton sheets etc for a bundle of prints or larger prints.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
February 2017 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

dgberg

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:40:30 am »

Just cannot do that when half of your customers pickup their prints and the other half are scattered over 2000 miles over the countryside.
I would be pricing myself out of the market.
I build crates that can cost $120 (And more)to ship truck freight and a print in a roll cost $5.00.
Just varies way too much.

disneytoy

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:45:31 pm »

Thanks!

I was just trying to see if shipping flat up to a certain size, like 16x20" or in my case the 18x18" prints I do could be accomplished with one of those hard cardboard mailers. I'm not confident they wouldn't become a target for a sharp corner of a heavy box, dead center.

I'll go with the Luan and cardboard approach. I have some in my stock.

Max

dgberg

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 07:22:30 pm »

If you use 13x19 sheets or larger, save those boxes.
You could center the prints in those boxes and use cardboard on the inside front and back.
I would prefer something harder like luan or gatorboard but i understand the cost issue.
The biggest thing you have to watch is always keep the prints an inch or two smaller then your hardboard outer protectors.
If it gets dropped on a corner you still should be good.

disneytoy

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 04:26:37 pm »

Ended up wrapping the 2 18x18" prints in Kraft paper, made a folder of white foamcore a couple inches wider. Taped down so it doesn't slide around. Then wrapped again in standard, recycled corrugated cardboard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up