Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Advice on shipping prints flat?

(1/2) > >>

disneytoy:
Hello!

I mostly do larger size prints and ship rolled in a tube. For a customer I'm printing in the 18x18" size wants them shipped flat. I have made multi layer foam core and cardboard packaging in the past. These will ship USPS Priority about 100 miles. I'm concerned the large flat package can be damaged. Poked or bent.

Any suggestions. PS. These customers don't like to pay extra for shipping. And I do the want to have the cost of reprinting a damaged print.

Thanks

Max

dgberg:
I use 1/4" Luan plywood, $10 a sheet. Cut to a size several inches larger then your prints.
Package the prints in plastic sleeves then a layer of the thin foam from a roll.
Finally your 2 outer layers of Luan and tape with packing tape.
Just wrap that package in packing paper and slap on the label.
One more thing if I may, "CHARGE" them.
You are not a big box retailer and cannot eat something that takes just as much time and effort as the prints themselves.
I charge $5 plus the material costs plus the actual shipping costs. If someone complains and they rarely if ever do. Offer picked up free of charge.
They always pay. I would not touch a project if someone insisted they would not pay for shipping and the associated costs.

disneytoy:
Thanks Dan!

Recently, the postal rate went up. A customer from last summer who ordered a 24x36" print complained that the shipping went from $5.50 (last time) to $7.00 This time. The actual postage was $6.95. I do spend more time packing and shipping than actually printing:-).

Max

hogloff:

--- Quote from: disneytoy on February 26, 2017, 03:37:06 pm ---Thanks Dan!

Recently, the postal rate went up. A customer from last summer who ordered a 24x36" print complained that the shipping went from $5.50 (last time) to $7.00 This time. The actual postage was $6.95. I do spend more time packing and shipping than actually printing:-).

Max

--- End quote ---

Packaging and shipping costs should be built into the cost of the print. Me with my consumer hat on would rather just see the full cost of the print rather than one price plus a bunch of add on costs for shipping and handling like you get with the infomercials.

GrahamBy:

--- Quote from: hogloff on February 26, 2017, 09:20:48 pm ---Packaging and shipping costs should be built into the cost of the print. Me with my consumer hat on would rather just see the full cost of the print rather than one price plus a bunch of add on costs for shipping and handling like you get with the infomercials.

--- End quote ---

I would strongly disagree. Shipping costs vary, and the cost per print varies dramatically with the number of prints. Hidden extras are one thing, but you can hardly call shipping "hidden".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version