Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Printing  (Read 1873 times)

grayoo

Capture One Printing
« on: February 26, 2017, 12:56:55 pm »

Does anyone use Capture One and Imageprint? Will it work with B & W profiles? Thanks

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: Capture One Printing
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 05:52:35 am »

Well I guess the lack of responses somewhat answers your question!

I use Capture One and Imageprint. But as of today I do not print directly out of C1 for one reason: Output sharpening. C1 now has output sharpening but I am not familiar with it enough to use it. I need to run some tests and just haven't done that yet. For legacy reasons my master catalog is in LR. So I output a full tiff to LR and then use LR to resize and sharpen for output to an Imageprint folder. For me there are three options:
  • Continue doing what I do now: Export to LR, then resize and sharpen for output in LR. Known process for me but probably not the best scenario since C1's sharpening has more options for customization and I am creating a rather large tiff by going out to LR.
  • Output from C1 directly to IP, and performing the output sharpening in C1. Theoretically this would be the best option. Two things prevent me from doing this. First, as I mentioned I have not yet learned what level of sharpening for various papers matches my taste. This will take time. Second, I am currently exporting the tiff to LR because that's where my master catalog resides.
  • Output to IP without sharpening and sharpen in IP. This may be ok. I've tried it a few times but like C1 output sharpening I don't have a feel for how it works yet. Plus no one else seems to do this, so maybe there is a reason...
Anyway your question was more related to profiles. I'm not sure how C1 would deal with the IP driver path, or if that even matters. I will run some tests over the next few days and see if I can come to any conclusions about how IP profiles are rendered and used for display in C1. Note that in my current process I can't soft proof until I get into IP, which always renders a proof of the image. In general I'm fine with that, but I do occasionally have to go back a few times between LR/IP to get it right.

Dave

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 07:59:07 am »

My first quick attempt at trying B&W profiles did not work too well. In Proof view the profiles definitely get applied. The view becomes grayscale, and there is the expected difference in proof view between a matte paper and photo paper. But for some reason saturated black areas become white or light gray. Almost like a shadows clipping warning but that is not what it is. My shadows warning is set to blue, and I have it turned off anyway.

Furthermore, in the IP 10 manual it mentions that when you are in Photoshop and want to soft proof a grayscale IP profile, you should first set the working space to "grayl.icm". As far as I know you cannot do that in C1.

So my initial try was unsuccessful.

Dave

grayoo

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 04:11:00 pm »

Thanks for the help. I downloaded a trial of Capture One and found that it would take the color profiles from Imageprint but the black and white ones were a mess. In my list of profiles there was a gray L and that made a good black and white but still, no proofing. I don't think Lightroom will take the B & W profiles either. I really like the program and will have to decide if I can live with that limitation.

If you go to Imageprint you should be able to get the gray L. Copy it to photoshop profiles and it should show up.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up