Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm UK Topless Model Shoot  (Read 6877 times)

Rob C

Re: Fujifilm UK Topless Model Shoot
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 11:07:18 am »

If the woman was wearing stick-on male nipples, there would not have been a problem.

There might well have been problems, Graham. She was wearing a pair of braces.

AnthonyM

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 01:08:15 pm »

I can post a naked shot of myself if you'd like a bit of gratuitous art ;-)

That's very kind of you.  I am happy to accept it is art without seeing the proof.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 01:12:48 pm »

It sounds like the Fuji management...

(puts on sunglasses)

Was busted!
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 01:25:32 pm »

... Bring on the Taliban!

+1

Great post, Rob!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 03:42:59 pm »

This makes me think of a rather colorful college professor of mine who has been shooting nudes for 40+ years.  He always incorporates fully nude shoots into his Intro to Photography classes (designed for the normal non-photo students taking it for their art elective) and puts the dates of each shoot into the syllabus. 

He mentions that nude model shoots will be part of the corse the first day and reminds them again a week prior to each one.  Of course, all the guys in the class get excited to the idea of shooting a fully nude woman, or, even better, women. 

However, what he does not tell his class, until they get there, is that the first one will only have male model(s), and of course plays it off as if why should it matter?.

Anyway, I see no problem with this and think the complaining is a gross overreaction.  Maybe the way in which it was marketed and advertised was a little creepy, but (follow ups show it was a small event that was not advertised in a creepy fashion and open to only a select few) all fashion photographers I've known always want to fool around with skin tones and lighting the body.  Not to mention, skins tones (along with other natural tones like wood, something I need to worry about with my line of work) are hard for the camera to naturally reproduce and something photographers will want to test out. 

Insofar as not having a male model, having one could have certainly helped with it being less sexist, or perceived as being less sexist.  Would it have helped with drawing more people?  No; much less women go out of their way to see a man naked as vise versa.  Not to mention, our society puts more emphasis on the female form being the superior one.  (You have to go all the way back to Ancient Greece to see it the other way around.) 

Also, the average woman is naturally more curvy, which helps with producing light and shadow and gradients.  The average man is rather boring, flat chest, flat ass, hips and waist that are almost equal.  You kind of need someone built like Atlas to really get nice light and shadow. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:54:58 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

N80

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 02:42:58 pm »

I want to know the ratio of outraged vs not outraged. If there were 24 who were okay with it and one who was not, who cares? And if that is the case the ONLY sin in this matter was that anyone paid any attention at all to the outraged customer. Isn't everyone 'outraged' these days?
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 03:34:45 pm »

I want to know the ratio of outraged vs not outraged. If there were 24 who were okay with it and one who was not, who cares? And if that is the case the ONLY sin in this matter was that anyone paid any attention at all to the outraged customer. Isn't everyone 'outraged' these days?

One needs look no deeper that into the affair of the YSL Opium perfume ads of some years ago.

It featured a healthy, nude Sophie Dahl stretched out on her back. It was pulled by the Advertising Standards body after, from the whole of Britain, it received about twenty or so complaints from the public. I actually recall penning a fax to the editors of the British Journal of Photography about it... (Better than writing to the editor of the Guardian, don't you think?) It did get published.

The complaints were all about inflamed enraged morality, but perhaps it might have made more sense had the complaints come from the Road Safety people. There could have been some logic there concerning distracted drivers in cities.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 10:55:46 am »

In this day an age nobody on this forum is going to be outraged by a topless shoot.

However, there will be plenty who will find this type of advertising totally inappropriate. Would I buy a camera because selected photographers took shots of topless women. You have got to be kidding!

Cheers,
Tom Brown

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 04:31:57 pm »

Considering all the advances in modern optics and technology, the complainer could have used a lensbaby or gradual density filter to produce an image to his liking.
Or if he was shaking too much during the shoot, that could have been used also creatively to create some artistic effects.

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 04:57:04 am »

Considering all the advances in modern optics and technology, the complainer could have used a lensbaby or gradual density filter to produce an image to his liking.
Or if he was shaking too much during the shoot, that could have been used also creatively to create some artistic effects.

I like it Les; a really positive spin!

Rob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up