Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm UK Topless Model Shoot  (Read 6876 times)

MBehrens

Fujifilm UK Topless Model Shoot
« on: February 24, 2017, 07:43:09 pm »

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/fuji-tried-to-promote-its-new-camera-by-providing-a-half-naked-model-to-photographers-6470997/

A Fujifilm UK, promoting its new GFX 50S camera brought out a topless model for the photographers - that paid to be there - to shoot. One photographer was outraged...

Is this the travesty that Mr. North, the only attending photographer that seemed to be outraged, claims? Or is it understandable, for the maker of a high-end medium format camera that will potentially revolutionize the rendering of skin tones in digital images, to use this tactic to promote its equipment?

I fall into the latter group, as if anyone really cares. Just wondering what the prevailing opinion is around here..

donbga

Re: Fujifilm UK Topless Model Shoot
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 08:41:46 pm »

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/fuji-tried-to-promote-its-new-camera-by-providing-a-half-naked-model-to-photographers-6470997/

A Fujifilm UK, promoting its new GFX 50S camera brought out a topless model for the photographers - that paid to be there - to shoot. One photographer was outraged...

Is this the travesty that Mr. North, the only attending photographer that seemed to be outraged, claims? Or is it understandable, for the maker of a high-end medium format camera that will potentially revolutionize the rendering of skin tones in digital images, to use this tactic to promote its equipment?

I fall into the latter group, as if anyone really cares. Just wondering what the prevailing opinion is around here..
I thought it was a great idea.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 10:32:43 am »

Failure of the marketing team to realize that times have changed? Whether you agree or not, we live in a more 'PC' world. Providing both male and female models, perhaps in bathing suits, perhaps both nude, might not have elicited the same response (well, the nudity might still).

If you really want to explore skin tones, ask all the photographers to get naked and take pictures of themselves. What a campaign those pictures would make!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:03:32 pm by JNB_Rare »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 10:46:26 am »

Embarrassing for Fujifilm UK, a high end product with low end publicity. Someone should lose their job.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:28:39 pm »

Fuji got it wrong; the politically correct cat touched all the bases.

You see, sex is sin. A good woman is never, absolutely never naked and a good man would avert his eye should he accidentally happen upon one, for example, in the course of his employment as a window cleaner or plumber. That the lady may have just had part of her robe stolen is neither here nor there: she should always wear two. And a head covering at all times. That's very important: hair is incontrovertibly evil too, especially should it have any touch of curl.

Bodies are shameful entities and there have always been well-founded laws against any display of them; some such laws include stoning to death, burning at the stake beside some equally evil cat-loving old crone, and/or other similar sickos. It is incumbent upon the more progressive amongst us to raise standards and insist, shrilly, on purity of both mind, eye and, above all, camera. It's a well known fact that the making of images of absolutely anything that breathes is obviously sinful, and even those sneaky people working in so-called nature programmes must have a careful, supervisory eye kept upon them: sometimes, believe it or not, they show naked animals! What could one possibly tell one's daughter should she ever see a naked horse? It could ruin her lfe, fill her with a sense of perpetual disappointment for ever after. "My kingdom, my kingdom for a horse!" Now you see the gravity of this stuff, and will realise for just how long such filth has been promulgated!

Bring on the Taliban!

Rob C

AnthonyM

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 02:00:30 pm »

Embarrassing for Fujifilm UK, a high end product with low end publicity. Someone should lose their job.

Cheers,

Correct.  It was cheesy.

And, congratulations, Rob, for a great example of overreaction.

Nothing wrong with topless ladies, or men for that matter, it is just a question of when and where.  And that is a matter of good taste and sensitivity.

MBehrens

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 03:57:15 pm »

The only mis-step I see that Fujifilm UK made was not letting the paying customers know up front what they were buying into. Had the topless models been parading the camera around like an auto-show event, this would deserved the disdain it received. But since this was a private (not public) event, the customers (photographers) were purchasing this time with the camera, the models were paid, there was no coercion or manipulation, I don't see where there is any reason for this response. And it sounds like the vast majority of the photographers at the event did not have a problem with the situation.

However the alternative to this mis-step which would be advertising a topless model shoot to promote their camera... could have been equally chastised as using sex to sell. Guess it was a no-win idea in this day and age. I would venture to say that this practice has occurred before and probably in recent history. But without social media to give the verbal minority a voice, the opinion of a single person would not have been heard.

scyth

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 04:03:38 pm »

there was no coercion or manipulation

how do you know ?

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 04:21:11 pm »

Correct.  It was cheesy.

1. And, congratulations, Rob, for a great example of overreaction.

Nothing wrong with topless ladies, or men for that matter, it is just a question of when and where. 

2. And that is a matter of good taste and sensitivity.

1. Thank you Anthony, it was a naught pleasure!

2. Ah yes, and who calls the shot?

;-)

Rob
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:24:30 pm by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 04:25:00 pm »

Nothing wrong with topless ladies, or men for that matter. . .

I can only conclude that you haven't seen topless men in a retirement community, Anthony. :o
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 04:31:16 pm »

how do you know ?

Do you know?

Do you think there are not castings even for these little modelling jobs?

Or is it perhaps pity for the poor, affronted camera fans, driven by the police to look at the frightening spectacle that they found thrust before their terrified eyes, that moves you?

Get a life, even a little one.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 04:46:25 pm »

Am I the only one who doesn't like the two choices in the poll at the end of the article?

The question is:  Is this acceptable
Answer A: No, it's sexist and wrong
Answer B: Yes, it's only a bit of fun

My logic would be that if you see this as "a bit of fun" it might indeed be sexist and wrong
However if you think it's just a model shoot in which you see no more and probably less then on a lot beaches in Europe during summer and therefore acceptable I see no problem with it.

I bet a lot of people who criticize a situation like this are also the people who carefully erase their browser history every time they leave the computer, because they don't want their spouse to see what they are looking at when they are alone  ;)
No proof, but just a hunch  :)
pieter, aka pegelli

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 05:24:07 pm »

If I were Fuji I wouldn't have done it. But offended or outraged? Nope. Bemused, by the outrage as much as the source of same? Yep.

-Dave-

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 06:02:34 pm »

Outrageous that didn't show any images from this shoot!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:33:51 pm by LesPalenik »

AnthonyM

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 06:18:50 pm »

I can only conclude that you haven't seen topless men in a retirement community, Anthony. :o

Very true.  But I am prepared to risk being shocked for the sake of art. :)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 02:59:41 am »

Or is it perhaps pity for the poor, affronted camera fans, driven by the police to look at the frightening spectacle that they found thrust before their terrified eyes, that moves you?

Careful, Rob. Seeing the unexpected can have catastrophic, long-term consequences, particularly on children. See here for a vivid account of the reasons why those responsible should not only lose their jobs but be publicly hanged, drawn and quartered.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 03:28:31 am »

Careful, Rob. Seeing the unexpected can have catastrophic, long-term consequences, particularly on children. See here for a vivid account of the reasons why those responsible should not only lose their jobs but be publicly hanged, drawn and quartered.

Jeremy

"Of the infants who saw the breast, 76 percent are unwilling to breast feed or use a bottle, forcing their parents to nourish them intravenously."

I see your point - other than to say I'd rather have seen Jan's, though, no offence intended!

As they say - be careful for what you wish!

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 03:36:27 am »

If the woman was wearing stick-on male nipples, there would not have been a problem.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 08:06:54 am »

Why is nudity even mentioned in 2017?

How is person wearing clothes different from a person naked?

I just don't get it.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 11:06:17 am »

Why is nudity even mentioned in 2017?

How is person wearing clothes different from a person naked?

I just don't get it.

Cheers,
Bernard

That's easy, Bernard: most naked people usually look less attractive than clothed ones.

That's why the ones who look better the other way around make so much money.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up