Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post processing in India?  (Read 4300 times)

andyptak

Post processing in India?
« on: February 24, 2017, 02:58:01 pm »

I've spent years ignoring the emails I get from Indian post processing services and now I find myself in a situation that requires high volume (for me anyway) and low prices.

I couldn't possibly consider this job if I did the post work myself, but it's a job I really want so it's time to eat crow.

Anyone have recommendations? Thanks.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Post processing in India?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:13:43 am »

Send them a file and try them
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

andyptak

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:20:39 am »

Thanks Bob, but I've always deleted these emails so I have no idea who to contact. The thought of having someone else do my post work just doesn't sit well with me but in this instance I have no choice.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 06:22:04 pm »

You always have a choice. Sometimes the best answer is to decline. If it is high volume low price then the answer may be "Auto Enhance" in Aperture or Lightroom.

For me the biggest risk is sending someone your files and they then appear for sale on the Internet. I initially check any new supplier by giving them an email address that only they use. If you start seeing spam coming to the same email address from third parties then there is a big clue.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

andyptak

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:03:42 am »

I hear you Bob and I've turned down things like this all of my life. However, for personal reasons - won't bore you with the details - I'd like to make this work.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 11:00:14 am »

I have been sending images to India for about 5 years. Well India and Bangladesh. India is a little more expensive but Bangladesh is faster and not far behind in terms of quality. Mostly use them for deep etching with the pen tool and masks of high volume stuff.

Sometimes I send the mages back if I don't think the quality is good enough. Never had a problem, they simply redo it. I suppose the images could end up for sale somewhere but I have never had that. I'm trying to imagine who would want a photo of a notebook or branded pen other than the client I shot it for. My clients end up putting the images on the web anyway.

Interesting the differences between India and Bangladesh in terms of accurate paths. India makes great smooth paths that flow beautifully. They tend to cut off odd bumps and things on the products. Very nice for mag wheels and structured bags.  The Bangladeshies tend to accurately follow every bump on the product. Good for irregular things but not good if you need smooth flowing lines. I tend to send different things to the different countries.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 02:36:58 pm »

Anyone have recommendations? Thanks.

Look up Adnet Info Systems, Aparna, and the name Niket Chitre. For a one-off project, you may find the time managing the project outweighs the benefits. Once there's an ongoing relationship, that's when you benefit.

andyptak

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 02:52:55 pm »

Thanks guys.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 04:54:21 am »

I agree with John about the large amount of management required until a working relationship is established.

andyptak

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 01:30:27 pm »

That's kind of disheartening. I had expected a bit of hand holding, but not much else. Care to elaborate? Thanks.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 06:01:37 am »

It's like any working relationship - at first, you don't know them, they don't know you - and you have distance  / time zones / language etc. Sometimes an upload or download is interrupted, or your clever folder system fools them, and you only realize when they don't return all the images (so count, verify, confirm numbers with them etc). Or they return files named in a slightly-different way from what you need to get them back into Lightroom, or stripped of metadata. What you thought were clear instructions could be misinterpreted, or you omit something that seemed completely obvious - to you. Eventually you figure them out and vice versa and you can just tell them "here's 1200 images, no time to say what pp they need, but get Sanjay or Vijaya on it as they always know what I like". But first time round you've thousands of images, you're sending them to another continent and to someone you've never met, and there's a deadline - what could go wrong.....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:59:43 am by john beardsworth »

andyptak

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 08:26:58 am »

Normally I never consider these kind of scenarios which I consider to be a race to the bottom, but this particular one did intrigue me.

Now, after a couple of conversations with the prospective client and considering the caveats mentioned here, I'm saying to hell with it which is what I should have said in the first place.

Thanks to all.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 09:06:46 am »

When it works it really works. I don't consider it a race to the bottom. But there is a bit of a learning curve and an adjustment period. You are dealing with bright motivated people that catch on really quickly and that want to do a good job.

Anyway that's been my experience.

andyptak

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:49 pm »

Martin - I wasn't referring to the people who did the actual work, I was talking about the client and their low pay, high output project. I knew that I should have said no, right from the get go, but now I have.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 01:48:25 pm »

Martin - I wasn't referring to the people who did the actual work, I was talking about the client and their low pay, high output project. I knew that I should have said no, right from the get go, but now I have.

Sorry. I misunderstood. Apologies.

andyptak

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 02:38:11 pm »

No apologies necessary. My wording was ambiguous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up