Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: First "hands on" impressions of the Fuji GFX  (Read 7376 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: First "hands on" impressions of the Fuji GFX
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 10:13:03 am »

Hi Victor,

All sensors have masked pixels that are used as a reference black. If that black area is masked pixels that is very wide. Could be that the sensor is actually a bit wider than 44x33, but masked to 44x33 mm dimensions.

Best regards
Erik

I've processed some of the available Raw files in RT just to check as much lens consistency as I can.  Odd that I get a black column on the right hand side of every image.  The files don't have the cutoff when viewed initially in the file browser but when brought into the editor the black column appears and also affects the file in the browser window.  I'm not all that concerned as soon enough there will be raw support with other software.... just curious.

Victor
Erik Kaffehr

armand

• Photos
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 10:27:25 am »

This would not be the first time when Fuji lacks raw converter support upon launch. I don't recall if it was the X-E1 or the X-T1 but for some weeks it was only the included Silkypix that could open raws, I shot raw+jpeg for quite some time before settling on raws only.

The Sony RX100 mark1 had no raw support for few weeks also and I'm sure they are not the only ones.

PS. I'm talking about Adobe raw support

vjbelle

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 10:34:21 am »

Hi Victor,

All sensors have masked pixels that are used as a reference black. If that black area is masked pixels that is very wide. Could be that the sensor is actually a bit wider than 44x33, but masked to 44x33 mm dimensions.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks, Erik.  Don't know what it is but its in all images and the only way to get rid of it is to alter horizontal perspective which brings the right hand side to the edge.  Again.... only curious as all of this will get ironed out.

Victor

vjbelle

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 10:38:35 am »

The images that I have processed do so have some softening of the edges (not serious but visible).  Everything I've downloaded was shot with the 63mm and with relatively large apertures.  I haven't seen signs of decentering which would be easy to spot.  Don't know what F stop would be necessary to tighten everything up. 

Victor

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 10:59:28 am »

Hi Victor,

I am pretty sure it is going to be an excellent camera. It used to take some time until we have raw support in Lightroom and other tools. But the sensor is just a well behaved Sony sensor, with Bayer pixel design so I would hope that Lightroom CC and ACR updates will be fast.

AccuRaw supports the GFX already but I don't know about the colour profiles. The images I was able to produce were a bit on the pink side. I am really waiting for a good shot with a ColorChecker. All those images are useless for judging colour, as you have no reference on either light or colour profiling.

I don't see myself as a GFX buyer, BTW. The A7rII covers my needs, not that I love it, but it offers pretty much all I am asking for. I have also spent way to much on switching systems, first MFD and than Sony A-mirrorless.

Still, the GFX is very interesting and so is the Hasselblad X1D. On the other hand they may be to little and to late. I feel that the A7rII is grown up for almost any job. If I need more, there is 100 MP MFD or I may stitch.

Great systems have their attractions, but somewhere I feel I need to stop. Having a single system to explore, learn and expand is probably better than playing around with two or three systems. It was a bit my experience with the P45+,  playing around a bit to much instead of taking good pictures. Each shooting situation is unique, they don't come back. Focusing on a single system that you know well can be a winning concept.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks, Erik.  Don't know what it is but its in all images and the only way to get rid of it is to alter horizontal perspective which brings the right hand side to the edge.  Again.... only curious as all of this will get ironed out.

Victor
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 02:10:04 pm »

Hi Victor,

I am pretty sure it is going to be an excellent camera. It used to take some time until we have raw support in Lightroom and other tools. But the sensor is just a well behaved Sony sensor, with Bayer pixel design so I would hope that Lightroom CC and ACR updates will be fast.

AccuRaw supports the GFX already but I don't know about the colour profiles. The images I was able to produce were a bit on the pink side. I am really waiting for a good shot with a ColorChecker. All those images are useless for judging colour, as you have no reference on either light or colour profiling.

I don't see myself as a GFX buyer, BTW. The A7rII covers my needs, not that I love it, but it offers pretty much all I am asking for. I have also spent way to much on switching systems, first MFD and than Sony A-mirrorless.

Still, the GFX is very interesting and so is the Hasselblad X1D. On the other hand they may be to little and to late. I feel that the A7rII is grown up for almost any job. If I need more, there is 100 MP MFD or I may stitch.

Great systems have their attractions, but somewhere I feel I need to stop. Having a single system to explore, learn and expand is probably better than playing around with two or three systems. It was a bit my experience with the P45+,  playing around a bit to much instead of taking good pictures. Each shooting situation is unique, they don't come back. Focusing on a single system that you know well can be a winning concept.

Best regards
Erik

Very true! Stick with that resolution, even though it is almost the end of February!

;-)

Rob

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 04:16:04 pm »

Hi Rob,

I will do that! I plan a shoot on Iceland and one in the Dolomites this summer. No MFD on any of those trips, I will stick to the Sony stuff. That doesn't mean packing light, two bodies, seven lenses and tripod I guess. But I will not split time and efforts on different systems…

Best regards
Erik

Very true! Stick with that resolution, even though it is almost the end of February!

;-)

Rob
Erik Kaffehr

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 01:25:54 pm »

Hi Victor,

Best regards
Erik

Very good insights.

algrove

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 02:07:48 pm »

Very good insights.

Did you mean photosites?

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 03:43:01 pm »

Did you mean photosites?

No, I like Erik's insights about focusing on just one system.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:24:39 pm by Stephen Scharf »

Telecaster

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 05:04:33 pm »

... only thing we need is software, not even Silkypix can open them yet ... maybe P1 or LR come first  ;D somebody mentioned Affinity Photo can open them

PhotoRaw on my iPad can handle 'em!  ;D

-Dave-
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up