Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: domain name trouble  (Read 1014 times)

Endeavour

domain name trouble
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:14:22 am »

I'm of the age where I was around at the birth of the web and I remember the rush to try and bag your name.com before someone else did

I am trying to expand my business to a more professional outfit.
Now, I am totally out of luck trying to find an available .com address which is pithy and informative, without being hyphenated or abbreviated.
I dont want a .random suffix on there, I like the traditional .com

alas, it was always going to happen that the availability declines, and I'll be forced to use an obscure suffix just to get the main name I want. I wonder what the businesses of 10 years in the future will look like? Maybe .coms will look old and antiquated and companies are advised to redirect to their flashy new updated domain names

in the meantime I continue my search by search of variations of an online darkroom & image processing business

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: domain name trouble
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:49:50 am »

I'm of the age where I was around at the birth of the web and I remember the rush to try and bag your name.com before someone else did

I am trying to expand my business to a more professional outfit.
Now, I am totally out of luck trying to find an available .com address which is pithy and informative, without being hyphenated or abbreviated.
I dont want a .random suffix on there, I like the traditional .com

alas, it was always going to happen that the availability declines, and I'll be forced to use an obscure suffix just to get the main name I want. I wonder what the businesses of 10 years in the future will look like? Maybe .coms will look old and antiquated and companies are advised to redirect to their flashy new updated domain names

in the meantime I continue my search by search of variations of an online darkroom & image processing business

Hi,

Maybe consider another name for the business or for the website. Search engine optimization will allow others to find your website even if the name is not literally the same as your business name. Adding a hyphen or not, or an abbreviation, can make a difference in available names as well.

There is an expanding range of top level domain names, so maybe look for an opportunity that has yet to arise? And sometimes current names will expire if not paid in time, which might be another opportunity, or you could purchase an existing domain name off of somebody who is willing to part with it for a reasonable amount of money (but watch out for those who register names in bulk, just for trading them at higher prices).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Endeavour

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:40 am »

yeah my business name is different, I'm just struggling to find a decent .com domain name which I is easy to remember and doesnt need explaining (like using hyphens, complex words, numbers etc)

may just have to bite the bullet and just accept I cant get a .com anymore and pick something else.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:27:30 am »

yeah my business name is different, I'm just struggling to find a decent .com domain name which I is easy to remember and doesnt need explaining (like using hyphens, complex words, numbers etc)

While I understand that, also realize who your audience is and why they would want to look at your web page or even need to remember or guess the name. If someone else is referring to your website on-line, they do not need to remember its name, they just click the link. If you mail people, they just need to click the link in the email. If it's for repeat business, they could already have the link in their favorites, or on an invoice, or a seasonal greeting/invitation. Maybe the name can be abbreviated cleverly, which results in less typing and potential typos (which could lead to competitors or worse). You could even pay Google to rank higher in search results, for a while. If you advertise in local media, add a QR/barcode they can scan with their smartphone.

One can also think out of the box, depending on what quality one wants to sell. For example use 'painterly.info' (or 'painterly.shop' or 'painterly.online' which are available but more expensive) if that matches the style that describes your product offering. It could even be a simple page with only links to your other domain name(s). Some people even speculate on common typos, and register those domain names to link to the actual domain name you want to use.

And as I said earlier, check for the expiration date on a domain name that is currently already in use by someone else, and when you can claim it as yours, you might even get someone else's contacts landing on your page.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:31:16 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up