Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning an i1Pro2  (Read 9129 times)

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
Cleaning an i1Pro2
« on: February 22, 2017, 11:17:23 pm »

I don't know what sort of plastic Xrite uses but the scanning table for my old i1Pro and now my i1Pro2 itself have both become sticky to touch. On the table, it's the bit that holds the paper, on the i1Pro2, it's the black around the top and sides. It does come off with methylated spirits and quite a bit of rubbing. I'm wondering if this is common or whether it's something to do with the humidity of Sydney or what.

Anyone else have the same problem?
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

aaron125

Re: Cleaning an i1Pro2
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 11:31:50 pm »

I'm in Melbourne and I've had both i1pro and i1pro2 and all the different kinds of scanning boards, original, updated i1pro and now the i1pro2 board and never experienced the type of issue you're mentioning. Have to say, seems a bit strange. Might have something to do with your scanning technique perhaps?

When scanning, I always scan 'upside down', as in I turn the 1st line of patches is toward the bottom of the scanning board, not the black clip end. I let the paper hang over the edge of the black clip and simply let the sliding ruler hold the paper in place - and the edge of the white scanning board. This way, the spectro or one's arm never touches the next line to be scanned. Eventually, the paper comes far enough down, say about half way through on an A3 or A3+ sheet, so that I can use the black clip and hold the paper in place. I guess this might sound pedantic but it's more from the old days of the original i1pro board, where the head of the device would often touch and scrape on the paper when scanning. The i1pro2 board has completely eliminated this to my knowledge. It seems to hold the spectro at the correct and same height throughout the scanning process. Obviously it's been made this way, specifically to eliminate the problem I mentioned.

Anyway, honestly don't know about the humidity having an effect but if you have a steam gun, that might be useful to clean your board and easier than scrubbing with metho. I've used my steam gun to clean my board once when  a friend spilt something sticky on it. Thankfully there wasn't any paper in the board at the time.

Oh, just another thing, I've always done is to keep several blank/unprinted sheets under the one I'm scanning and these stay clipped in.

Hope this helps somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samueljohnchia

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:21:22 am »

I don't know what sort of plastic Xrite uses but the scanning table for my old i1Pro and now my i1Pro2 itself have both become sticky to touch. On the table, it's the bit that holds the paper, on the i1Pro2, it's the black around the top and sides. It does come off with methylated spirits and quite a bit of rubbing. I'm wondering if this is common or whether it's something to do with the humidity of Sydney or what.

I have exactly the same problem. I'm in Singapore but I control my room humidity to around 40% rH 24/7. The black rubbery material on my i1 Pro 2 and also on the diffuser holder of my i1 Display Pro have gone sticky. My old Razer mice (and I heard keyboards too) suffer from the polymer material breaking down. I never found a way to get rid of the problem. Razer has since apparently changed their rubbery coating to a more durable one.

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:31:32 am »

Thanks folks. I feel heartened to hear that I'm not alone. Methylated spirits will get rid of it but I hate doing that around a piece of electronics, particularly as it needs quite a bit of rubbing. You also need to change paper as it seems to gunk it up.

My old i1Pro doesn't suffer from it as it is a hard plastic not like the Pro2. I rang my local Xrite guy who said that he had never heard of it. It can't be my grubby hands as the Pro2 sits on the arm of an io and is only touched press the button to sort boundaries.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 04:34:53 pm »

My old i1Pro doesn't suffer from it as it is a hard plastic not like the Pro2.

I have a (getting rather old now  - 15 - 20 years ?) portable Tascam DA-P1 Portable DAT Recorder that has a black rubber finish on it, and last time I looked at it, the finish had gone very sticky indeed, to the point of making the recorder unusable. See Tascam DA-P1 DAT Field Recorder is sticky--in the real sense! for corroboration.
 So when I got hold of an i1Pro2 and felt a very similar finish, my first thought was "Uh - Oh - this finish won't  last forever!" followed by "I wonder if that's such a good idea from X-Rite ?".

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 04:52:44 pm »

Methylated spirits will do the job but I don't know for how long.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Doug Gray

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 06:08:00 pm »

I've had a number of different devices with a rubber like surface that turned sticky after many years. Some I threw out but the ones I wanted to keep were fixed by rubbing with a microfiber cloth and 90% isopropyl alcohol. It removes the sticky surface - which might include the whole coating - but it is safe for most materials/plastics.

Why it gets sticky:
https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/stickiness-insulting-reality-rubber-reversion/

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 06:21:21 pm »

Thanks Doug. It's a pity XRITE didn't read that.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

howardm

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 07:34:11 pm »

you should see the rubber 'hood' on my Sawzall.  A sticky mess.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 03:53:45 am »

Here only the media clamp on the table showed that degradation. Solved it some years ago. I cleaned it and cut a piece of grey marking foil as wide as the clamp, inserted 10mm under the clamp and folded the rest over the top surface of the clamp. Cut the rest off at the arc at the back of the clamp, that arc surface remains sticky.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
February 2017 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 05:38:54 am »

Thanks Ernst. That's a creative solution. Perhaps it could be applied to the Pro2 as well.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

jrsforums

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 06:08:40 pm »

Here only the media clamp on the table showed that degradation. Solved it some years ago. I cleaned it and cut a piece of grey marking foil as wide as the clamp, inserted 10mm under the clamp and folded the rest over the top surface of the clamp. Cut the rest off at the arc at the back of the clamp, that arc surface remains sticky.

Ernst....

Marking foil??
John

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 10:38:02 pm »

I have had that happen with various items around the house..  Anything with a 'grippy' surface, it seems, may end up getting sticky.

My reigning theory is that it is caused by cleaning items with 70/90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol..  And I assume methylated spirits is also some type of alcohol.  I've tended to clean MANY things with alcohol, but now know to avoid grippy-type surfaces with the alcohol.  I haven't been able to fully test that theory though, because I don't have anything that I might not mind ruining.

On one item, I ended up trying to remove the coating completely.  I got most of it, at least - revealing a shiny hard plastic.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 10:43:50 pm »

These things have never had any sort of cleaner near them until they went sticky. You are right about methylated spirits. I think that it is called denatured alcohol elsewhere.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Doug Gray

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 12:54:27 am »

Isopropyl alcohol is widely available in drug stores here. It's a good (but not too good) solvent but isn't drinkable. It's sometimes called rubbing alcohol.  Ethanol, which is drinking alcohol, is similarly good at removing this sticky crud but is many times more expensive as it is highly taxed. I've tried 95% ethanol and 90% isopropyl and both are effective but require some rubbing with a cloth. I haven't tried denatured ethanol (there's an additive to make it undrinkable) but it should work similarly. So any of these should work. I suppose availability may differ based on each countries laws.

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 02:02:57 am »

Thanks Doug. Methylated spirits is freely available in Australia. Isopropyp alcohol is available but a lot more expensive.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 03:54:59 am »

Ernst....

Marking foil??

Marking film, plotter vinyl, self-adhesive vinyl etc might be the better term in English.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »

Marking film, plotter vinyl, self-adhesive vinyl etc might be the better term in English.

Nope, still doesn't help..  I haven't heard of any of those, either - at least here in the US.
OTOH - I'm quite the hermit, sooo...   ;D
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

jrsforums

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 07:57:13 pm »

Nope, still doesn't help..  I haven't heard of any of those, either - at least here in the US.
OTOH - I'm quite the hermit, sooo...   ;D

Search for self-adhesive vinyl on Amazon
John

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
Re: X-Rite instruments going sticky.
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 02:28:08 am »

I just noticed that my i1d3 (AKA i1 Display Pro) is now going sticky - the swing up Ambient adapter plastic also has this rubberized finish on it, and it seems that is not likely to survive in the long term either.

(I guess I'll clean it off when it becomes a menace.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up