Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diffraction Correction in Capture One v10  (Read 2782 times)

mediumcool

Diffraction Correction in Capture One v10
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:17:43 pm »

Olympus E-M5 with Lumix 45–175 @ 51mm 1/250 f/10 ISO 200

A new feature that works quite well, especially considering that there is no adjustment for this control. The left frame was cloned (Image > Clone Variant), and the two thumbnails selected so they appear side-by-side. The only difference is that the clone has had Diffraction Correction turned on. The increased microcontrast is obvious in the brown render, but not so much in the leaves.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: Diffraction Correction in Capture One v10
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:18:14 am »

Yes, it seems to be a pretty cool feature but you do have to watch carefully if you have strong straight diagonals, as they will often develop stairstepping. I'm happier to have remote focussing now.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:34 am »

Yes, it seems to be a pretty cool feature but you do have to watch carefully if you have strong straight diagonals, as they will often develop stairstepping. I'm happier to have remote focussing now.

Perhaps that has to do with sub-optimal sampling, i.e. with a sensor that lacks a proper OLPF (anti-aliasing filter), or not enough diffraction blur to function as such a filter. I have not seen many cases where the 'Diffraction correction' made matters worse, on the contrary, but then I use a camera with an OLPF.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

mediumcool

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:12:02 am »

Perhaps that has to do with sub-optimal sampling, i.e. with a sensor that lacks a proper OLPF (anti-aliasing filter), or not enough diffraction blur to function as such a filter. I have not seen many cases where the 'Diffraction correction' made matters worse, on the contrary, but then I use a camera with an OLPF.

Cheers,
Bart

I only noted your post tonight, Bart. I have noticed serious stair-stepping in the past in C1 with high edge-contrast angled imagery. I believe that this has lessened/improved in recent versions. I have recently opened a Sony a7R2 Raw file from DPReview and processed it in C1 with some different settings, some of which show some stair-stepping at 100% view.

I may post some comparisons, but I should probably ask for permission from the website before I do.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

sjprg

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:24 am »

When I bring up a folder of landscapes and select all, the diffraction correction will only apply to the viewed image instead of being selected for all.
Paul

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:32:32 am »

When I bring up a folder of landscapes and select all, the diffraction correction will only apply to the viewed image instead of being selected for all.

Hi Paul,

Have you selected the "Edit all selected Variants" toggle?

Edit: I've noticed that clicking the Diffraction correction checkbox doesn't apply it to all selected variants immediately, but it does allow you to Copy/Apply the adjustment to all selected variants, by using the copy adjustments icon in the top right of the Lens Correction tool panel.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:02:14 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up