Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printer suggestions please  (Read 1002 times)

Endeavour

printer suggestions please
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:22:52 am »

Hi
I am in need of a wide format printer. I am slowly building up my business, which involves (at the moment) low volume photo printing for galleries, shows and interior advertising. I'm currently using a print shop for anything larger than A3+

I'm attracted to 24" width over a 44" for the prices and for getting the damn thing down into my basement studio. I would love a 44" if it wasnt going to be more trouble than it's worth
I am fine to buy used, as long as it's possible to purchase extra/new warrenty & support on the printer
I am mostly worried about ink drying/evaporating if I am not using it for periods at a time. My old Canon pixma pro 9500 is prone to losing it's ink when not used for a while.

Can anyone offer some suggestions please?

thanks
Simon

hogloff

Re: printer suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:35:49 pm »

I'd look into the HP Z3200 printers either the 24" or 44" models. They were designed for your type of printing, infrequent. I have both a 24 and 44 model Z3100 and just love them. Practically zero maintenance on them even if left alone for over a month while traveling. Print quality is outstanding.

If you have an interest in 44", I would not be scared off by the size of these printers. Really not that heavy and very manageable with 2 people.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 06:00:50 pm »

Not saying that HP Z3200 is a great choice to look into, but as the model itself is becoming very hard to find and will be discontinued once inventory is gone, it may not be the best option to go for as the parts may become obsolete within a few years as well.  You can surely look around for it, but it may be better to go for something a little newer that will be more available with parts (if needed down the road).  The PS version is the only one available brand new (unless someone happens to have a used one), it is coming close to the end of life for the model and HP doesn't have any replacement 12 color units.  They are all 8 and 6 color photo printers; mostly in technical and Latex now with poster printers.

The new Canon models are very similar to HP and use the same print head technology and they will have slightly narrower bodies than HP now.  Yes, HP will be lighter
Canon 44" 46(h)x62.7(w)x20(d) 267 lbs
HP 44"     69.7(w)x27.2(d)x41.2(h)  189.6 lbs

So, it really depends on how much you will print and what type of printing you'll be doing.  Each brand will have functions that the other doesn't (good and bad).  One thing that Canon has vs HP is the sizes of ink now.  HP has the ability to create profiles (the PS version), but you can create custom media settings on Canon.  Canon printers will work very similar to the HP as far as leaving it alone for a month or so, come back and ready to go.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 07:19:17 pm »

The HP Z3200ps has a proven track record of being a great printer for the studio photographer who is looking for personal printing.  The HP Z3200ps has many attributes that just work.  Vivera inks are still king of the hill and despite rumors, the Z3200ps printers are still being manufactured and there is no hint that HP will discontinue manufacturing them.  I recently read a thread from 2009 saying they thought HP was done with the printer.  Think again.  Still going strong.

Check out this thread:

HP Z3200ps - an absolute no brainer on sale NOW

When you compare the output of both printers, the HP is slower, but longevity is better.  You can make an ICC profile from a 1728 patch target generated internally from the printer using the embedded spectrophotometer than comes STANDARD with each printer.

There is a very big difference between 267 lbs and 190 lbs.  The HP can be lowered down without it's legs on and assembled once you get it where you want it.  And it is lightweight to move around after that.  Pro Imaging Supplies has an incredible deal going on now that absolutely blows all the other printers away.

http://www.proimagingsupplies.com/Hewlett-Packard-DesignJet-Z3200ps-44in-Printer-p3420.html

Check out the link, weigh the facts and make up your own mind.

I recently bought one, Mark McCormick Goodhart recently bought one, several have benefitted from this amazing deal.

The Z3200ps is so versatile, it is just an amazing printer after all this time.  If you want a 24" printer, go for a Canon, but if you want a 44" printer that will do it all, the HP Z3200PS is ... well... a no brainer. Just saying.

Mark

EDIT: Added link
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:07:48 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up